Winner, Winner Liver Dinner

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Sorry, I ate it all.
IMG_7098.jpeg

Ahhh liver and onions after the kill, fresh. Doesn't get any better than that Lumpy
Always a favorite in my Dads camp lots of onions
Your Dad was a wise man 53. An old time outfitter from Callbran, Colorado had me add sautéed mushrooms to the mix. I must say, since then the mushrooms have never hurt a near perfect meal.

Had a friend and his wife over for dinner tonight. His wife and I eat liver, with onions and mushrooms, I barbecued fillet for my wife and ribeye for her husband. Everyone was happy happy happy.

Had a friend and his wife over for dinner tonight. His wife and I eat liver, with onions and mushrooms, I barbecued fillet for my wife and ribeye for her husband. Everyone was happy happy happy.
Definitely an acquired taste those who eat liver and onions probably ate it from an early age like me

Don't ask me why but ever since I was a kid we've always sliced up the liver and soaked it overnight in milk. Even the old timers at the hunting club did it.
One of my favorite meals! Can't understand the soaking in milk
It removes some of the strong taste. The milk draws the blood out of the liver. Salt water will as well……. So….. if one is good, two must be better. I do both but I use cultured butter milk if there is any available.

I have used milk on version, elk, deer, moose and caribou. Soak it over night in the fridge.

On several occasions (years ago) I ordered liver at Lamb’s Cafe in downtown SLC. Several people in our group made some serious groans and grimaces.

On several occasions (years ago) I ordered liver at Lamb’s Cafe in downtown SLC. Several people in our group made some serious groans and grimaces.
You know you done good then.

I used to order liver at cafe/restaurants quite often but as its popularity faded away, I started to notice a change in quality/taste. (Old liver don’t sound very appetizing.) Then I got sick after eating a cafe liver dinner and that finished my eating liver except at my home or someone else’s, that I trust. Also, I only eat deer liver now. If I could get it year round eat it once a week. As a substitute I now eat McDonald’s Quarter Pounders, with extra onions.

Beef liver and onions was a staple at our house when I was a kid. I suspect it was because it was inexpensive. We ate a lot of hamburger too but I don't remember ever eating a steak. A beef roast on special occasions. We ate chicken livers and gizzards too. My mom loved both. My dad used to say "we're just trying to keep you alive, not fatten you up."

Beef liver and onions was a staple at our house when I was a kid. I suspect it was because it was inexpensive. We ate a lot of hamburger too but I don't remember ever eating a steak. A beef roast on special occasions. We ate chicken livers and gizzards too. My mom loved both. My dad used to say "we're just trying to keep you alive, not fatten you up."
😁 It was a different time then eel. I suspect your, parents, like mine were young marrieds in the 1930’s, they knew what lean times were and how to survive.

I don’t care for chicken liver, it’s too crumbly and dry for me, but gizzards and chicken hearts are a delight. Lov’em, Flying J gas stations used to have them on their hot food counter but after Pilot bought them out, the whole company went to crap! 😂

😁 It was a different time then eel. I suspect your, parents, like mine were young marrieds in the 1930’s, they knew what lean times were and how to survive.

I don’t care for chicken liver, it’s too crumbly and dry for me, but gizzards and chicken hearts are a delight. Lov’em, Flying J gas stations used to have them on their hot food counter but after Pilot bought them out, the whole company went to crap! 😂
My brother 2lumpy! We would have been best buds back in the day.

It was a different time then eel. I suspect your, parents, like mine were young marrieds in the 1930’s, they knew what lean times were and how to survive.
Yep, my mom came to California from Kansas during the depression and my dad came from Oklahoma during the same time frame. They met in the little town of Hilmar, CA. They got married right after WWII.

Here’s a couple of different old time food that all the folk that I grew up with ate in the fall and winter. Do you recognize them from these photos?

Both had rather unappetizing names but it never seem to bother anybody but us kids.

IMG_7332.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom