Winds

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
No not gas. I will post more later.
753020150816144732.jpg

825620150818104659.jpg

We hiked in 10 Mikes first day and I was half dead haha. Second day we went another 2.5. Day three was a 9 mile round trip . Day 4 we hiked 6.5 and day 5 was 5.5 to trailhead. Went to Wind River Brewing Company in Pinedale and had a burger that was so delicious after all the Mt House crappy dehydrated food.
We had a great time- no mosquitos, no rain but it was cold at nite. The fish were not cooperative .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-15 AT 12:35PM (MST)[p]I caught 4 fish, saw 0 bucks,maybe one elk but didn't have binos. The trekking poles really do help.

Very nice! That's beautiful country. So much beautiful country, so little time.

Only 4 fish? That's discouraging and I've been there a few times. You go to all that trouble and expense and sometimes (late in the season when the water warms up) the fishing just isn't that good especially along the shore line. The fish seek deeper colder water. Or sometimes the fish are feeding deeper and farther out.

Eel's tip of the day:) Please take this only as a suggestion, as it is what we used to do and is not for everyone. In fact the fewer people who do it the better.:)

We started taking in light weight one man rafts for late summer fishing. (eventually we started taking them all the time) Back then they were a little bulky and weighed about 5 lbs. and only cost about $50. But since fishing was the whole purpose for going, it was well worth it. We would catch fish left and right in the middle, whereas we would catch few or none in the shallow warmer water along the edges.

We also found that you could easily access every inch of a lake from a raft. Without a raft, lots of shoreline is not fishable because of brush, rocks, etc. And you could do it with a lot less energy than trying to hike around a lake. We either fashioned our own paddles on site, or just paddled by hand most of the time. Those lakes aren't usually too big.

I couldn't find the exact raft I own (they probably don't make it anymore) but was able to find a few. I noticed they are a lot more expensive now, but they sure have gotten lighter and less bulky.

http://read.garagegrowngear.com/best-ultralight-packraft-brands/

Don't get me wrong! Every minute you spend in the Wilderness is time well spent, and even if you don't have a fishing pole you're a lucky man!

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Eel,
I think you are right. The water was warmer than I thought it would be as I swam in 2 different lakes for a mine or two and didn't die lol.

It sure was disappointing as we used all flies- hoppers,scuds,midges,ants and I used a gold kastmaster and a rapala.
I'm going back to my Idaho lake in 2 weeks just to console my grief..haha

Beautiful pics, beautiful country!
I'll be there in 5 short days with a fine rifle strapped to my backpack.
I hope, in 12-14 days of trudging around the peaks, that I find a nice ram.
We shall see, we shall indeed see soon enough.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom