Winco foods

kawboy

Very Active Member
My wife and I just took a trip to Winco to see what all the hype is about, everyone I have talked to says they love the place and save a lot of money. I was actually quite disapointed. The place was pretty full and everyone acted like I was trying to get their food. I encountered very few people who were polite, and the employees were not helpful. They acted bothered when I asked them product locations.

I doubt I will ever go back, we saved only about 2% off what our normal grocery bill is. I would rather pay 2% more and receive no crowds and polite service.

I award them no points

Kawboy, I live in the Mountains and we only have the one grocery store. They are OK but about 70 miles away is a Winco store and if i'm headed that way anyway, i'll stock up on their Meats, dairy, pasta, and some canned goods. Usually the biggest part of my shopping bill is the meats. At Winco, i can sometimes buy their on sale items a near half of the store price here local. Other things like produce, soda, bakery, and bread, is very near the same price as here so i pass on those.

As far as all the people and you not liking the place, that's up to you. You can go in the off hours but saving a lot of money over mom and pop stores cannot be denied if you know where and what to look for.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-10 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]I am in retain food distribution and do some business with Winco, and Winco is the lowest priced retailer in the West. Winco is all about price, not about being your freind. The stores are usually crowded with shoppers and that may cause you to have a bad experince when shopping. Winco isn't my cup of tea, but if you want low priced groceries it is the place to shop.

I think Winco is great. We save about 20% over Safeway. Winco is so porular here that my wife and I do our shopping early Saturday or Sunday morning to avoid the crowds. We're up anyway. Their meat and produce is far and away better than any other place in town. A lot better selection than the others too.

I know two people who work there. They say it's a very good place to work.

Eel

Its a relitivly new store, some things are higher some things arent just depends..they do their pricing off local walmarts to compete. My mom sister work there. I used to work there still would be if i didnt get into it with a manager. We have whats called mexican sat, and sundays here...The migrant workers come from jackson, victor, teton. Get people from montana and far into wyoming that come to get groceries. Also realize that prices are different from store to store. If you want to shop not crowded and can stand a little mess go about 4 or 5 am

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I've become a Winco fan. I drive past 2 grocery stores to get there. Most things are less money, but not all. Some benefits are the other stores around here have become more competitive. In addition, I hated carrying a Smith's Fresh Values card.

Where I live Winco is a TON cheaper, I call it combat shopping but the money I save goes toward hunting. You just need to treat the isles like a nascar race and watch out.

Rich

Is it like Costco?

Not really! No membership needed and you don't have to buy in bulk like Costco to get the best deals. It's just like any other big grocery store but if you're a shopper like me, you'll notice that things are cheaper and you have to bag your own stuff on checkout.

Joey

Sage;

I am willing to bet you have a large pantry, good size chest freezer and go to town once a month and stock up on the main items for pantry and freezer.

We do it also since we live in the mountains. We are a little more lucky then you. Within a 40 mile drive, we have a winco, Sam's club, two Wal-mart super stores and several other discount grocery stores. We prefer Sam's Club over Winco.

I buy my beef from a local couple who raise beef and the custom butcher comes up for 65 bucks and does the slaughter and packs it back to the butcher shop. Sure beats the meat and price of any of the stores. He hangs the beef for 14 days prior to cutting and wrapping.

To some they can not be without having all the convenience stores close by and want to live in town. I and my wife prefer living in a rural mountain area and found easy ways to get around not having all the stores down the block. Would not trade it for town living any day of the week.

I like walking out to the end of the detached garage and popping off a few rounds at the 25 or 50 yard range to keep in practice. I have a feeling you do too and so do a few other members on this forum.

RELH

So, excuse me for hijacking this post, but how about some statistics.

I live 6 miles from a town of 2,000.

I am 100 miles from;
A theater
A Walmart
A Home Depot
A Safeway.......and all that other big city stuff.

I have a well.....untreated with chlorine.

I have no idea where the key to the front door of my house is.

Every year, I have had deer, bears, phesants, bandtail pigeons, quail, dove, bobcat, coyote, racoons and Jehovah's Witnesses, in my yard.

I can shoot my '06 out the windows on 3 sides of my house, 4 if I call my neighbor and tell him I'm going to shoot his way......and I STILL don't know chit about Wenco!!!

RELH, i wish that were the case, it should be, and i certainly understand why you would think so but... I'm living in a small rental cabin until i can build on my riverfront property and though i've been in business for myself for 5+ years, i can support my hunting and fishing habits, keep the bills paid, but little else. The freezer has been on the list but priorities...

My family has done ranch kills for generations.I moved up north though. That was some good beef!!!

Nickman, Don't feel too bad!!! Sounds like a fair trade to me! :)

Joey

I love Winco. Well I dont love it but I like it more than the other places. I greatly dislike wal-mart. Winco has great meat and their prices are very good as well. Wal-Mart has good prices to on their food but that store bugs me. But thats just me.

I always have liked places you could shoot out the windows of your house,LMAO!}>}>}>

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

>Geez.......I must REALLY live in the
>boonies! I've never heard of
>the place.

I never heard of them either.. I guess they don't have them here in southern Ca

One down side to Winco is that they don't sell alchohol between midnight and 6 am.

I live 5 miles from the city limit and own 512' of road frontage. I can only see one neighbor from my front yard. The closest neighbor to the south is about a mile.

Though technically not legal, I can shoot one .22 round as the need arises, without too much worry.

More importantly, I can pee anywhere except in the front yard. You need to be able to mark your territory.

Eel

Nickman, so the jehovah's witness's only have 1 direction to run and they better be quick before you get your neighbor on the phone? I'm jealous!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I would be willing to trade my place in the city for any rural place, I grew up in a small town and never knew how good I had it till I came to salt lake. Its like being lost in suburbia hell.
If I decide to go back to winco I will try after hours, we really don't buy meat. We just live off wild game. My wife and I can live off an elk for a year easy, that might change this year since my little girl is starting on solid foods. I have a walmart within 3 min of my house, and that's if I hit every light red. But I only go there maybe 2 times a year, I don't like the whole wal mart mentality.
My condo is for sale if anyone is interested

That John Denver is full of $#!t man

There is a winco in southern cali hemet, they are trying to expand down there. Up in central and northern they are all over. Store used to be called waremart...winco is named winco for washington idaho oregon corporation the headquarters is in boise idaho. They try to price match walmart that is the biggest competitor. I know people love it or hate it. Just depends on the store

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Victorville has one
Apple Valley has one.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Here, in Pocatello, the Winco employees are pretty nice people.......AND...One certainly does save money at Winco.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

"Store used to be called waremart..."

They had to change their name to Winco because people would go to waremart looking for clothes to wear, and there wasn't any.:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-10 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]>More importantly, I can pee anywhere
>except in the front yard.
>You need to be able
>to mark your territory.
>
>Eel

That's a very good thing Eel.. My neighbors always mad at me when I pee in my front yard.. I tried to explain that all I was doing was marking the property lines but they still called the cops.

I still never heard of Winco Foods, guess I just don't get out enough.

Got a Winco in Medford, good prices but don't care for the meat dept. don't know how to cut steaks or anything else for that matter.
Costco has a great meat dept. but cant seem to walk out without spending 200-300$$

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom