Winchester Brand Axe Heads

kilowatt

1445winchesteraxeblade.jpg

A friend of mine showed this Axe Head last week to me after he had put a buffying wheel on his bench grinder. Yes, he took the stone wheel off and just the cloth polishing wheel and lot of "rouge" and it looks alot better than when he bought it off Ebay. Found two more Winchester Axe Heads and bid and got them, more polishing to do when he gets them.

Real nice Axe Heads manufactured by WINCHESTER some years back.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

A polished up Winchester axe head is worth about $10.

One in original condition, unpolished sells for up to $250.

Looks nice!:)

Eel

>A polished up Winchester axe head
>is worth about $10.
>
>One in original condition, unpolished sells
>for up to $250.
>
>Looks nice!:)
>
>Eel

Eel, it is the late night beach side axe gash that is ten bucks. The polished head is closer to twenty. You're confused.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Eel, do you know if these actually came out of a Winchester factory or did another maker pay for their headstamp?
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Eel, do you know if these
>actually came out of a
>Winchester factory or did another
>maker pay for their headstamp?
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Well, according to Rick on Pawn Stars, Winchester started making axe heads in 1914. They made about 2300 up until WWI started, then production stopped. They were all hand forged and stamped by Winchester. He said original unmolested examples are getting harder to come by.

Hope this helps.

Eel

I found one on my place at the old homestead site. It's a little ground down,but otherwise ready for a new handle and sharpening.
I have a collection of artifacts like the axe head, growing at the base of old pinion.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-14 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]>Unmolested?????
>WTF is wrong with this picture?
>
> Eel doesn't make up a
>lot of stuff,,,,, but????

I took my model old 92' Win,32-20 my uncle left me to some gun guys to see what it was worth.
One guy said,"Well before your uncle "molested " it with the most beautiful metal-refinish/blueing job I've ever seen,it WAS worth"...

I'm always happier when my head has been recently well polished.

Just sayin...

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom