Willard Peak 'Recurve Bow' Billie!

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
What a great 'many' stalks and then the harvest!

My bud from the 'Hossier Daddy State' drew the Utah non-ressy tag for Willard Peak Mnt Goat.

He did wonderful on stalks----one to 8 yards and on another day 13 yards....but he held out for a real Dandy Billie!

15 yards and basically straight down! he let an arrow fly from his Recurve bow.

Dave is traveling back home to Indiana right now-----so I will let him finish up with photo's (if he wants----very humble fellow that David) after he gets back to Indiana.

Congrats Dave!!!

And very special thanks to 'bamacpl' from our own M&M!!

Robb

sounds good so far, need pics and more story!!!! I cant believe he would not pull into a hotel and get on a computer or stop on the road and text the story to us, How inconsiderate:) Cant wait to hear the first person recollection! Sounds like a great hunt! He is a stud for whacking one with a recurve! props to him!

What a great time I had!!!!! Thanks Robb!!---- & Dave you the man!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

I Had the time of my life!! Drive safe!!!

2- photo's coming via one of our Moderators.

That is all I can post until Dave decides to post any more after he gets home and settled down!

Robb

Here they are just like promised. Dang nice goat

4abe9b892cf3046a.jpg

4abe9ba22d4a326f.jpg

Thanks for the pics Robb! Very nice goat. Nicely done guys!

I banter with the bow guys a lot, but anyone who goes at it with a recurve, gets my respect. They are bow hunting for all the right reasons and accepting a real challenge. Very cool!

Outstanding! Well done gentlemen.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Great goat! I would love to see more pics of him. Really good work with the recurve. Huge congrats!

I sure learned alot about patience from Dave.

I would have been on the move many times and he would just let the Mnt. Goat do it's normal thing and then he would stalk up on him.

His patience was never ending!

Robb

Great job Dave! Wish I could have made it up there. Dandy goat. I'm sure you had a "Once in a Lifetime Hunt".

Here's the whole story Men. I hope you can learn from it like I did.

Wow, hunt over and back to work. Hard to believe. Sorry for the delay but I don't get on the computer much at home. Plus I have been really busy. I got back from Utah late Thursday night after a 31 hour drive. I'll never do that again. I slept about 3.5 hours. Not good. Taking care of meat and hide and equipment took two or three days plus you throw in Indiana?s youth deer hunt this past weekend that my two Boys were more than ready for. I can't say as I was, but on we went. Got home Sunday night pretty much exhausted. I slept for 12 hours and finished up with the equipment yesterday, Mon. 9/28.

What a great hunt and some really super people that helped me on the hunt. I would like to personally thank Robb Facer, (bulelk), Derek Allen, (bamacpl) and Nate Bailey for all of their help and hospitality. It took me 9 years to draw this Utah goat tag. Robb told me that I had 1/84 odds. Robb has been graciously giving me help and advice for almost 10 years. Thanks so much Robb! Robb?s friends that hunted with me some were great people as well and I really consider them all as friends now. Derek has a back of steel and came in to help me pack the goat off of the mountain. We did it in one trip instead of me having to do it in two. Thanks again Derek!

I would also like to thank my Wife, Emily, who took care of our three Kids, house and all the other responsibilities while I was away. You?re a Peach and I Love You!

The weather was great, sunshine and blue sky?s everyday. Temps ranged from low 30?s to low 70?s. Mountains were absolutely beautiful. I saw lots of goats and had several successful stalks. I passed on several smaller billies and nanny?s. No need to hurry as we were seeing some nice ones and I was having a ball.

Well, I had every intention in the world of killing my goat with a bow and arrow. It didn't end up that way. Let me tell you the story and maybe you will learn something or it will reinforce what you already know.
It was day 5 and I was hunting by myself. I spotted a group goats heading up the mountain to bed. I noticed two nice goats in the group and decided to try for them. I waited until they bedded and then I headed for the top of the mountain south of them. Four hours later I was on top of them. They were 15 yards almost directly below me. I would have taken the nanny, she was at least 10 inches or the billie, he ended up being 9 inches. The nanny looked up at me and took a step down into the rocks. This exposed the billie and he was broadside. I picked a spot and let go. My arrow buried to the fletching in the spot that I picked. I thought to myself, ?what a great shot.? The billie ran about 30 to 35 yards and stopped on big flat rock, about 5? by 5?. He was squirting blood and had the whole rock covered and pooling with blood in about 30 seconds. Shot location and squirting blood that I was seeing, indicated to me that I had shot him in the heart.

This is important here, so pay attention, I could have shot him two or three more times and didn't. I just sat down after the shot to watch and not scare the billie. Big mistake. He started kind of wavering on his feet and I thought he would go down right there. He kind-of crow-hopped/staggered around the corner and I thought that was where I would find him. I called Derek to let him know that I had just gotten my goat. He congratulated me and told me that he would like to come help me get him off of the mountain. He said he could be up where I was in about 3 hours. I told him great and that I would probably be through with the capeing and meat boning by then.
I waited another 30 minutes and then went around the rock to see my billie.

He was laying down with his head up. When I came around the corner he got up and moved about 30 yards to bed again. I could tell that he was really weak. I thought, ?ok here?s what everybody is talking about when they say mnt. goats have a slower physiology.? It is just going to take him longer to die. ?When in doubt, back out.? I'm pretty sure at this point I could have gotten within 25 or 30 yards and gotten another arrow in him. I didn't try because I didn't want to push him into the cliffs that were not far away. Goat country is not very conducive to pushing animals. Also my eyes were still telling my brain what they saw after the shot, squirting blood, perfect arrow placement and an animal that was wavering on his feet.
I backed out and got to where I could watch him but not bother him for awhile. He laid down for a while and then got up again. I could barely see him now. I called Derek and told him that my goat was still alive and that I was confused as to what was happening. I asked him to bring a rifle along when he came.

It took Derek about 3 hours total to get where I was. Probably had been around 4 hours since the initial shot on my billie. All the while I was hoping that when I walked around the corner I would find my mnt. goat and he would be down for the count. I took Derek?s rifle and my bow. I had him go high so he could maybe see the goat and or keep him from going off the back of the mountain. I would go around the mountain, the way the billie did. If I found him alive I would try to get close enough to get another arrow in him. If he fled or I could not catch him then I would take him with the rifle. As I rounded the rock ledge he got up and was moving away at a pretty good rate. No catching him for an arrow shot. I decided to take him with the rifle.
After the shot I examined the wounds. My arrow went in a little low compared to the steepness of the shot. My bad, I should have noted that and picked a higher spot on his chest when I shot. The arrow took out one lung and then went out the brisket. The squirting blood came from his opposite leg. The broad-head almost cut the leg in two right above the knee. I believe this shot would have taken most critters down but the toughness of the goat kept him going.

I will never let my eyes fool me again. Hindsight is always 20/20 but given the chance or same situation again, no matter the species or what I believe I see, I will be shooting more than one arrow.

Have a great season and good-luck on whatever you are chasing this fall.

Dave

For those of you that have contacted me and have drawn the Willard Peak tag this year----here is an update of last years hunt.

Plus----two other bowhunters took 51 + P&Y Billies in 2009.

Some GREAT potential for a Billie off the Willard Peak unit.

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom