Wildlife Biologist

H

Hanson

I am looking into starting my path to become a wildlife biologist and was intersested to see if any of you guys are wildlife biologists? What does your job consist of and just the range of things you do? Thanks.

I doubt any will speak up on here. They are always under fire. Your best bet would be call the office and ask to talk to a Biologist. Or better yet stop by maybe you can make arrangements to go to volunteer for a couple hours.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]I am one, not afraid to admit it.... You can send me email or PM if you have questions the things i do are too top secret to discuss here.

Todd Black
BTO

Hey Blanding, Good job by the way. I really mean that you guys do alot that people on here dont recognize. Thanks.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]sent you an e-mail blanding_boy. thanks.

I'm not trying to be negative, but it is a very difficult field to break into. Probabbly should plan on getting a masters. Pay is low, this may not matter now, but could 10 years and 2 kids from now. I think that most people end up in a different field like myself. Good luck to you and I hope you beat the odds.

Feel free to PM me. It doesn't seem that long ago when I was in your shoes wondering which career path to take. I'm a biologist and really enjoy my job.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 11:22PM (MST)[p]me three! And I have never worked a day in my life (adult life). You will never regret the decision, if biology is what you choose. I should share a great quote from one of my first advisors though:
"If you like to fish, study fisheries; if you like to hunt, study fisheries".

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10 AT 08:10AM (MST)[p]You fish squeezers are all alike, always dreaming about being a real biologist;)

Who do you work for Darren?

Todd Black
BTO

Hey I am about to finish up my bachelors and hopefully find a masters project. If have any questions about the school process you can PM me also.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-10
>AT 08:10?AM (MST)

>
>You fish squeezers are all alike,
>always dreaming about being a
>real biologist;)
>
>Who do you work for Darren?
>
>
>Todd Black
>BTO

LOL... Wyoming.
I spend my summers "fishing", and while all my wildlife buddies are busy running checks stations, field contacts, and answering calls in the fall, I'm out hunting.
Squeezin is where it's at! :)

Not where, who--see wildlife guys are smarter too....

Who do you work for in WY, i know a few people in pinedale

Todd Black
BTO

Thanks everybody for your help. I have heard it is pretty tough to find good jobs but I have a little bit of time to decide. Thanks again.

If you have what it takes, you will find work. Those that don't usually go on to get their PHD because no one will hire them.

I got my bachelors in wildlife and range resources and loved every minute of it.

After looking at the jobs available and the pay, I ended up going to dental school after that.

Part of me still wishes I could be outside every day for work.

Bonepiler hit the nail on the head. He knows what he is talking about.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

UND - Fisheries & Wildlife Biology, 1998. Should have been 1996 - but after a couple of internships during school and seeing the road ahead I chose a different path. Funny these guys mention the phd - one of the deciders for me was working along side of a late 40's phd who had never had a job that was not a term position in his career - that really scared me off. I now know he was in that phd category previously mentioned!

I have a few friends left that stayed with it, those that went on to Master's degrees and were willing to follow the bumpy road, are still working in the field.

There are a lot more options with the degree than just a biologist with a state G&F though. NRCS, Soil & Water

>Thanks everybody for your help. I
>have heard it is pretty
>tough to find good jobs
>but I have a little
>bit of time to decide.
>Thanks again.
Hanson, I hope you have been applying for seasonal jobs to get your foot in the door.

http://www.usajobs.gov/studentjobs/

It sounds like your direction right now is wildlife, but don't be afraid to look at other bio tech jobs. You never know where they might lead.

good luck....

BTW, this biologist spends a lot of time in the field during the hunting season and it ain't on the clock. ;-)

>BTW, this biologist spends a lot
>of time in the field
>during the hunting season and
>it ain't on the clock.
>;-)

+1 Choose your career path wisely and you will have plenty of time to hunt. I was gone from home, hunting, 47 days this last fall.

My brother has a degree in Wildlife Biology and he ended up as a game warden. Retired and a little "jaded" from some of the folks he ran into but loved it for the most part.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom