Wilderness areas

B_F_E

Long Time Member
not by any means thinking this will change anyone's previously tightly clutched opinion or anything,
but what think you,
bout wilderness areas in general & do you think they proportionatly generate more wildlife than other areas ?

My opinion is they don't, plus they suck.

That subject can be debated (and will be).

Look at the Dutton, go up in the higher less accesible areas and you hardly see any deer, they are all down in the low country.
North slope of Uintah's, same thing for the most part.

Then go to Blanding or the book cliffs where there are roads everywhere....so are the deer.

Personally i think......where ever the best food and water source is, is where you'll find the critters, the bigger wise ones will just be harder too see.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Wilderness (with a capital W) is very important I think. It's about the only way of preserving the natural environment and still allow other activites like hunting and fishing. You can't hunt in Parks, or Preserves, or Monuments.

Selected (notice I said selected) areas should remain undeveloped and natural, if for no other reason than to have available for future generations to explore and enjoy. And to hunt and fish!

I started hiking and fishing in the Wilderness back when I was about 12 or 13. It was a strong influence on who I am today.

It's hard for a boy to play Daniel Boone now days with all the quad trails everywhere he goes.:)

They don't necessisarily generate more wildlife than other areas, but they do generate more unmolested wildlife.

Eel

WELL Beefy???

IF YOU WERE BEING HUNTED & HERASSED 6-7-8 MONTHS OF THE YEAR???

WHERE WOULD YOU BE???

I LIKE eel's RESPONSE!!!

IF YOU TURNED EVERYBODY LOOSE Beefy IT WOULD BE OVER WITH IN A YEAR!!!

WILDERNESS AIN'T FOR EVERYBODY!!!

YOU EVER BEEN IN THE HIGH UINTAH'S Beefy???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I hunt Wilderness areas and ONLY Wilderness areas on my personal hunts. Why? To get away from all of the lazy people who don't want to walk or do any work for thier hunting. I hardly ever see a soul when I'm in the Wilderness areas of Nevada. I see way more game and better quality. When people talk about how there is no access into these areas I just smile to myself and seek these areas out. The harder the access the more I like it! fatrooster.

I've got no problem having wilderness areas and like having most of what is currently wilderness. However, in my travels it seems like every piece of ground out there that is public is being studied by the federal government for potential wilderness areas. I think we have enough wilderness here in Idaho and I don't like paying a bunch of lazy government employee's to study ground to be turned over to wilderness. If they had there way they would turn it all into wilderness and make it illegal to hunt on.

>Wilderness (with a capital W) is
>very important I think. It's
>about the only way of
>preserving the natural environment and
>still allow other activites like
>hunting and fishing. You can't
>hunt in Parks, or Preserves,
>or Monuments.
>
>Selected (notice I said selected) areas
>should remain undeveloped and natural,
>if for no other reason
>than to have available for
>future generations to explore and
>enjoy. And to hunt and
>fish!
>
>I started hiking and fishing in
>the Wilderness back when I
>was about 12 or 13.
>It was a strong influence
>on who I am today.
>
>
>It's hard for a boy to
>play Daniel Boone now days
>with all the quad trails
>everywhere he goes.:)
>
>They don't necessisarily generate more wildlife
>than other areas, but they
>do generate more unmolested wildlife.
>
>
>Eel

same here 12 and ditto on the molseted part...Manny

Wilderness areas offer the average person the ability to experience a quality hunt. I have hunted Wilderness areas for years, not because they have monster bulls and bucks behind every tree but more for the experience of hunting areas where I seldom run into any other hunters other than those in our party and never any motorized vehicles. I live within a hundred miles of one of the nations least used Wilderness areas, the Warner Wilderness. I have spent counless days and nights in the high country of this area, sometimes with my wife, sometimes with family and friends, sometimes with no one else, but always with my horses and usually my dogs "unless I'm hunting". My two oldest both 10 have experienced hunting in area like this and I can't wait to take my youngest, age 6. My 10 year olds have been going out of state with me since they were 7. They both caught the bug as I did and I have no dought my youngest will too!
Norkal

nothing in Ca wilderness but fires...tried to get into YOLLA BOLLY's but it's closed!
last time it was this bad it burned until Mother Nature put it out!
rm

Here in NE Cal we've been eating smoke since the lightning storm a couple of weeks ago. Last year the Moon light fire was dang near in our back yard. So far this year we havn't had anything that close. Hope we don't!
Norkal

They generate more MATURE bucks and bulls, and don't need nearly the season restrictions to protect the age class, as most hunters aren't willing to hoof or horse it in there.

Without the large amounts of wilderness areas, MT and WY would have much shorter seasons and much lower quality of hunting, both in terms of the hunting experience and the average age of the animals.

The wilderness areas also serve as a reservoir of mature animals for the surrounding non-wilderness public grounds, making them accessible to hunters outside the wilderness area.

It is not for everyone. In MT, we have far more public land open to vehicular traffic than we have in wilderness areas.

I am grateful for them and will hunt them until I can no longer find a way to get in.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Beefy, you're right, no logging. No mining either. Nature has a free hand in Wilderness areas. That's why we need to be careful when and where to make designated Wilderness. I think we have plenty now.

No mining, but I sometimes carry a gold pan. I think that's OK.

Eel

I am very positively disposed towards Wilderness areas. I have backpacked in a couple and plan to do an 8-day backpack trip in early August in the Weminuche Wilderness area of SW Colorado. I also like to hunt in wilderness. I hunted elk in the Weminuche Wilderness in October 2006 and hope to go back for the same hunt in 2009. I like not being cheek-by-jowl with many other hunters.

I don't know what the right amount of Wilderness is versus open ground, but I'm definitely all for Wilderness. It seems likely there is already enough land already designated Wilderness in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Seems like New Mexico has only limited Wilderness area, but I'm not very expert on that topic.

I say, if you don't like the restrictions that pertain to Wilderness -- no roads, no motor vehicles -- than don't use Wilderness. If you don't like the crush of people who descend on the non-Wilderness areas, then abandon your motor vehicles and go into the Wilderness. The solution to the excess traffic in non-Wilderness areas is NOT to open up the wilderness areas . . . because then they will be just like the other four-wheeler burdened non-Wilderness areas. At least that is my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom