wild pigs

V

vitalzone

Anyone know of any opportunities to hunt wild pigs in southern California or Texas. I always hear of a over population on these critters and would love to harvest a few for my freezer.Archery or rifle, any weapon.

Check out BigHornCanyonRanch.com. They are located in southern CA and offer both European and feral pig hunts.

Eldorado

>Check out BigHornCanyonRanch.com. They are located
>in southern CA and offer
>both European and feral pig
>hunts.
>
>Eldorado

I have been there a few times for rams...I would have to punch myself in the balls until they fell off if I ever caught myself paying to shoot a pig.

That being said, there is public land in Texas that has hogs. It seems most places in Kali you have to pay or buy a tag from the state. Texas is all you can shoot and you don't need a tag for that ;)

I grew up in cali and visited a number of the PUBLIC pig hunting places. NO these are not realistic hunts. There are a number of good guides/ranches for 100% wild hogs. Cost use to be ~$600, probably more now. Tejon Ranch just north of L.A. is one option.

Can't say about Texas, but I'd be leery of any claim of good pig hunting on public land when there is a lot of private land close by as pigs are transients, and if they get pressure on one plot and not on another... I have heard that even private ranch hunts in Texas are cheap though. Good luck.

What kind of hog hunt are you looking for? You can hunt the with a rifle, knife or archery! Night or daylight! From a tree, spot and stalk, or with dogs. Texas has a lot of opportunity at a cheap price. Oklahoma also has a lot of opportunity at a cheap price.

I'd let you come shoot as many as you would like here in Oklahoma, but they don't hold a pattern real good on our places. I'd hate for someone to pay for traveling expenses and not kill a critter. They'll show up for a couple days and then show up the next fee days at night. We can't hunt them here at night, but you can in Texas.

Here are a couple pictures
PIG-2.jpg

pigs.jpg

The question for me would be do they taste at all like domesticated pork?

If not, I think I'd pass on filling the freezer with them.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-11 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]I have read how these pigs have over populated many areas, a friend killed a few in Texas , he killed younger pigs and gave me some of the meat, it was pretty tasty,he said the bigger older ones were pretty nasty. I just really like all different meats and thought they were good. Plus sounded like fun, would love to try bow hunting these critters, defiantly a challenge from what he was saying, of course would take a rifle also if it was permitted. Actually, I would consider traveling anywhere within reason if the opportunity was there.

They taste really good if there under 125 llbs. Also look into florida, I lived there for 3 years and you can get on some land for cheap and kill as many per day with any method. hunting them with dogs is a good time.

Pork is high in saturated fat. The fat is soft at room temperature. Venison and lamb are high in unsaturated fat. The fat is firm and if you take a drink with a mouthful of meat, the fat will solidify in your mouth as a result of the cold liquid. Why is that important? Flavor comes from fat. Animals that are high in saturated fat tend to taste like whatever they have been eating.

Pigs are actually omnivores. They will eat anything. Acorns make them bitter. Sage and juniper give them a unique gamey flavor. Barley or corn give them a flavor that you are used to tasting when you buy storebought pork.

Interestingly enough, there have been extensive studies to come up with cheap feed for swine. Back east, they experimented with feeding fish offall. The hogs loved it, but the chops tasted and smelled like fish. Down south, peanut pulp was also tried and the chops smelled and tasted like peanutbutter.

I prefer the ones that have been feeding in the grain or working green feed. As a general rule of thumb, young ones are more tender and have better flavor. But given the right conditions, they all can taste good. (You'll know if you have a good one after the first bite)

According to the Bucksnorts Guide to Properly Preparing Wild Game, any wild pork should be cooked to well done. Slow roasted in a dutch with some mushrooms and fresh baked sourdough is hard to beat. I've also cooked up bbq ribs and tenderloins off of some 120 pounders that came right off the back of the saddle and were cooked over oak coals that just fell apart and was amazing.

The calif hogs we harvest are typcially eating barely(late spring through summer), acorns, or grass. They taste great made into Jalapeno/Cheddar sausages. Meat is not marbled at all. We usually shoot young boar's, ~150lbs, and have not had a bad one yet. Avoid pregnant sow's.

Tejon Ranch in So Cal is your best choice if your looking for a true hunt. Central and N. CA have lots of options on private land, but, check out references.

TX has tons of pigs. Lots of opportunities. Assume you live in CA because no one in TX would go to CA to hunt pigs.

I worked for this service for over 15 years and helped clients kill over 300 pigs during that time. www.boaring.com

Even though I don't work for the outfit I would recommend them and would answer any questions from a guide's perspective if anyone has a question. There are some important things to ask a pig hunting guide if you decide to go with one.

I kill several and see a couple dozen get killed every year. Even though you read about how they are overpopulated, they are not everywhere and you are not likely to find a place to hunt them on public land. They are very smart and go where the grocery gettin' is good. That means private land. Which means you are probably going to have to open your wallet. A lot depends on what kind of hunt you want. If you want to hunt over a feeder, with the option of using knives or hunting at night, go to Texas. If you want a spot and stalk hunt, more typical of other western game, go to California. I have a lease on the Tejon ranch in SoCal and love the place. Lots of hogs, and like previously mentioned, it is a real hunt. Spot and stalk in mountains that make sheep country look easy. Look up www.hunttejon.com. They do a few "wild pig management" hunts each year which is just a tresspass fee so you can hunt unguided for 2.5 days. Cost is $450 for the any weapon hunts and $300 for the archery hunt (which is a hell of a good deal.) That is about as cheap as you are likely to find.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom