Wich Pack

HuntinFool

I've been looking into wich pack to buy and I can't decide. I would use the pack to haul all my stuff I need during the hunt and then hopefully pack an animal out. I don't want to spend too much money but I will if I have too. I would use the pack for overnight backpacking trips too.

Badlands 4500 is my choice. Lots of room for all your gear and a deer quartered or boned out. Easy to separate the gear and meat with all the pockets too. I don't have mine with me right now but I can think of 9 pockets...2 are small side pockets, 4 deep verticle pockets around the main pocket, the detatchable fanny, bow and rifle holder, tons and tons of straps to hang sheds off of...I really like my 4500.

~Z~

RE: Which Pack

The 4500 is a good pack and but I think its to big for your everyday hunting situation. I use the badlands 2200 and have loved it it hauls all my gear even for overnight trips and is a great pacl for hauling out meat.

Eberlestock J107 I have used it for backpack hunts and it also goes with me on Day hunts. I has enough room for all your gear, which I put mine in the spike camp duffle. Then if you take an animal the main chamber expands to allow you to fill it with meat. It is a mesh chamber to help keep meat cool. I taken a dear and packed all the meat out in one trip. I my opinion it is a great pack. If you do end up puchasing this pack, i switched out the bladder with a camel back brand and bought an adapter so that I can directly fill my bladder without taking it out. The adapter hooks up to your water purification (depending on the type you carry) and pumps directly into the bladder. Hope this helps, Smitty

Badlands 2200, All my stuff is lightweight backpacking equipment and it all fits just right im my 2200. Very comfortable. Best pack I've owned

Eberlestock JP9 Bluewidow purchased this pack 2 years ago it starts off at 2200 cubic inches and with one zip you can expand it to 4700 cubic inches!you can also customize it to suite your needs.so good for day hikes or for 6 day trips.I personally have packed out two elk with it and it handles the weight like a dream!Hands down the best pack I have used

"Hunting" Its Not A Hobby Its A Way Of
Life

I'm in the same boat.. Looking for a new pack and can't decide between the Badlands 2200 and the Horn Hunter Main Beam. I like the price of the Main Beam better and it seams to have all the same features as the 2200 but with a little more room. I think it's 2600 or so?? Has anybody out there used both?

I have the Badlands 2200 and the Hypervent. I like the 2200 for the amount of pockets and room. You can carry all of your gear and pack out an animal. Still works great for day hunts as well.

I like the hypervent because it is very light weight and keeps the pack away from my back which is great on those early fall hunts.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a ton of pockets so hauling an animal can become a little tricky. I have to put the meat on the inside of the pack and then pack my gear around it. Still works but then I have to wash the entire pack to clean up the blood and stuff.

For what you are doing it sounds like the 2200 is a very viable option.

I can also speak for the warranty that Badlands offers. Unmatched customer service! I have had bags replaced for minor things. No questions asked.

100% lifetime guarantee for anything. If they can't fix it like new then they replace it. Yes this even includes damage caused by you (example: knife cut on a strap or in the pack, rips, tears, etc.).

Look 'em up and give 'em a shot. You won't regret it.

Badlands warranty is not as great as they make it out to be. After sending my 2200 back twice it still was not fixed. They tried to sew up the torn waist strap stiching and jacked it all up so it does not fit right. The zipper which was broke is still broke. I gave up and just bought a new pack.
ARC-teryx makes the best and most comfortable pack for heavy loads. If your looking for a 3+ day pack they are the only way to go. Don't buy a "hunting" pack. Get a pack made for back packing!
My day pack is still a badlands. Just bought a new 2200. good pack, just don't expect much out of the warranty.

After much consideration I went with the blacks creek Canadian. It collapses to 2200 and expands to 3850 with a meat compartment separate from your gear. This years model comes with a detachable day pack that I will fill with items that will stay in camp (extra food,cooking supplies things that will remain with my tent). And I will leave it home for the day hikes. I haven't packed much weight yet but it is very comfortable and has some great features like labeled pockets containing a rain fly, bow and gun holders. So far I'm impressed!

Look into the Badlands 4500 or even the new Sacrafice. I am waiting for the sacrafice to get in, I really want to give that one a try. It is super light, smaller than the 4500 but bigger than the 2800 I think its around 3200-3500 cubic inches.

In addition to Badlands and Eberlestock, you owe it to yourself to check out some other great packs. I'd suggest Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. Packs are like boots, what may work for some doesn't necessarily work for all. If possible, I'd try as many packs out as possible before you buy. Good luck!

+1 to isayNUNYA for the comment on using a Back Packer's pack versus a hunting pack. Camo is always a great OPTION but it isnt always necessary and sometimes limits choices and can cost significantly more.

Good Example: Badlands Sacrifice. Everyone (including me) wants this pack, but it is hard to come by and isn't really considered a "Load Hauler" but will do in a pinch. It has the Hypervent which is a bonus and is Super Light. A great alternative and almost exactly the same except for camo, is the Osprey Atmos 65. It has the HyperVent style vents, similar capacity, comes in a near camo green, BUT is about $70 - $100 dollars cheaper if you know how to do a good GOOGLE SEARCH. Another that is really similar (though has a slightly different HyperVent Style) is the Gregory Z65. Similar Green colors and if you get a 2009 model versus a 2010 model, you can get it for about $140-$160 with GOOGLE search. Both are also approximately the same weight as the Sacrifice and VERY COMFORTABLE.

Either of these alternatives will keep you cool, have the space needed for a few days AND haul 50# comfortable (relatively anyways). When added to a pack frame such as the OX or for even less money and a good reputation to match, is the Cabela's Alaskan Expedition or Extreme frames; you can be an efficient Bivy and Hauling Machine!! Just leave the frame at base camp or truck for second haul if you don't want to hunt with it.

The only issue with either of these alternate packs, is the Warranties may not be the same as the Unconditional Lifetime Warranty of the Badlands (I haven't checked those yet), but do yourself a favor and check out some reviews such as the "2010 Pack Reviews" (found in a 5 part series) through a GOOGLE Search or on Bowsite dot com. Excellent Reviews done by ELKARCHER that will give you allot of things to think about and allot of options other than badlands etc. (though I LOVE BADLANDS!)

?-ERock-> ?

I agree with those who have opted for "backpacking" packs. I have owned packs from several hunting pack manufacturers and always go back to Osprey. The hunting pack manufacturers seem to build their packs around coming out heavy (understandable). Based on your comments it sounds like you are looking for ONE all around pack. Osprey Aether!
Capable of hauling out the animal or week long trips yet light enough to use for a day hike. When looking for an all around pack, keep in mind that more than 95%+ of the miles you log with the pack will not include 70 or more lbs of meat.

Someone mentioned the Badlands Sacrifice earlier and based on ads it looks like the camo version of a full blown ultralight multiday pack but..... I would not count on it hitting the market in time for camping and scouting this summer. Last year Badlands introduced the OX pack but failed to fulfill orders until 2010. If the Sacrifice follows that course, you won't see it in stores until 2011.

Good luck with you decision

look into the Blacks Creek line of packs also we use the 1.5 bone collector on a regular basis from horn hunting to day trips hunting deer & elk we hauled out a couple big bucks last year no problem they also came out last year with hteir new Barbarian lite weight & breaks down the optics pouch comes off & also has a removable fanny pack on top

The Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is exactly what you are looking for. It's the only true do-all pack I've found.

Don't forget to look at the Outdoorsmans Pack, too. It is an external frame pack that rides like an internal frame. The polycarbonate frame is rigid enough to handle huge loads, but flexible enough to twist with your body as you move. The frame itself weighs only 2 lbs. The suspension can be set for various sized hunters, the bag has many useful pockets (including a rifle/bow carrying system), and once you remove the bag, you expose a meat-hauling system.

It isn't cheap, but it is another awesome do-all pack system!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom