WIA - Region B

M

madvilledoc

I'm going to be in the Douglas area for an antelope hunt the first week of September. But we have some extra time to kill and I was able to obtain one of the leftover deer tags for region B. I've been looking over the maps for the WIA's, but there is only so much information you can get from google earth and topo maps. My buddy and I have never mule deer hunted before, so we aren't looking for trophies (although a decent buck would be nice). I was hoping someone familiar with this area could point us in the right direction on a WIA that would give us the best chance of success. We are willing to travel to any of the area's in region B (Areas 7-14, 21), although the closer we are to Douglas the better. Any help would be appreciated.

Though I have never hunted there,the gamewarden recomended WIA 20 Niobrara county.He said that they usually take some bucks out of that Mule Creek area.
Good Luck and let us know how you did.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-12 AT 08:22AM (MST)[p]Here are some tips if you aren't familiar with the WIHAs in Wyoming. Just because they are signed as walkin areas does not mean you can hunt a species just because you have a license for it. The WIHA number authorizes what you can hunt within that area and there are only 8 out of all those in Niobrara County Region B that allow mule deer hunting. Many don't allow any deer hunting and some others only allow whitetail deer hunting. Make sure and print out that list off the website so you don't make a mistake and get a ticket because it is considered poaching if you take an animal that you can't hunt in that particular WIHA, even though you have a valid tag for it. Your Region B General tag is good to take one antlered deer of either species, so you're not going to be able to take a doe if you aren't seeing any bucks to shoot. Here are the WIHA numbers you can hunt for a mule deer buck and the unit each is in:
1---Unit 13
3---Unit 12
5---Unit 11
12--Unit 13
13--Unit 13
15--Unit 13
20--Unit 11 (5,855 Acres)
21--Unit 13

I would take the suggestion Whiterock made and hunt WIHA #20 and if there is water along that Mule Creek drainage and you don't see a decent mule deer buck to shoot you may see a decent whitetail. All those WIHAs are quite a ways northeast of Douglas and you may have to camp out because of the long drive to get to any motels in that area. However, you are pretty well tied into to going up that way for deer because there is hardly any public land that is available in that entire area. There are tons of acreage that allow you on to fill your antelope tag compared to the few I listed for a deer hunt. Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom