Who's Read This Book?

2lumpy

Long Time Member
651elmerkeith.jpg

This is one of the most entertaining books from the hunting community that I've read. If you haven't read it, I believe you might enjoy it. Elmer Keith was a colorful character, with a lively life style, during the Jack O'Conner period.

Apparently they were contrasting personalities and were, for a number of years, contrasting writers, published in national outdoors hunting magazines. Keith seemed to prefer the large calibers, O'Conner was a fan of the .270.

More than that, I enjoyed Keith's life history as well as his writing style, in this particular book. His personal experiences, and how he expresses himself made it a great read.

Not a particularly cheap book to purchase, on ebay or Amazon but worth it, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I've read every thing in my library and I'm hungary for a good read right now. If anyone has a good one, I'd appreciate a recommendation or too. Mostly interested in North American stuff but if it's really good, I'll read about anything, about anything, as long as it's not fictional.

Tks
DC

Notice how He uses the ! Mark?:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I was always a Jack O'Connor fan. But I'm sure kieths book was as colorful as he was with an embellishment or two.

I read Keith's book several years ago. If you want another good read. Find a copy of "Unrepentant Sinner" by Col. Charles Askins.
It is a story about his western upbringing, time and many gunfights while working for the border patrol in the 20's & 30's and combat experience in WW11.
He was a champion pistol shot in Texas and some of his exploits are unheard of today.

He got one of the first S&W model-29's that came out and took it to Viet-Nam where he was setting up a armory for weapons for the S. Viet-Nam government, and used it to kill a Viet Cong he encountered on a jungle trail while hunting. You will love the part about what happen when he went with a rancher into old Mexico to recover a stolen cattle herd while he was a border patrol agent. He was involved in many gunfights in his lifetime as was Bill Jordan, another Border Patrolman of that era.

RELH

Yes, I've read Keith, an interesting man.

I love WWII books. I'm reading "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos now. It's a part of the war very seldom talked about. It involves a German BF-109 pilot and an American B-17 pilot. $9.99 at Costco.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

After looking at those Estate Sale weapons, Elmer would have consider me a "typical" wimp! Not many of those pieces would fit my saddle. :)

He liked'em stout, didn't he!

Thanks for the suggestions folks, keep them coming, if you don't mind, appreciate it.

I've read a number of military histories/biographies this winter, two on the pacific campaign, two on WWII and one on the Iran War. I'd like to read another something different right now, if I can find something that lights up my imagination.

DC

Thanks Homer. "Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost" might work.

Looks like most everyone that's reviewed it on Amazon liked it as well. I like the old stories, especially when they are actual experiences people where writing about.

DC

I at one time owned a autographed copy( Keith 1975). I loaned it out and that was the last I saw of it! I missed it so much that my wife bought the updated one("Hell I was There") two years ago as a Christmas present for me. When I found out how much she paid I was astounded! Excellent read.

Yep, it's kind of a classic. The old rascal had a way with words, not to mention a rowdy life.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-15 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]Here are two more fascinating books, if your into old adventures of the non-fiction kind. Read Black Sand and Gold first, the Trail to the North Star is a sequel and just as interesting but kind of needs to be set up by reading the Black Sand book first.

3931blacksandandgold.jpg

8833klondikegoldrush.jpg

Thanks for sharing some that you've enjoyed. It's snowing here today, I wish I had a good one I could get started on right now. :)

DC

Crusaders for Wildlife.
A History of Wildlife Stewardship in South Western Colorado.
By GLEN A HINSHAW. Available on Amazon.

Reading this book should be a mandatory requirement before any one is allowed to purchase a Colorado Big Game License.

Provide PROOF you have read it TWICE and you should then be allowed to post opinions about Big Game in Colorado on the internet!!!
I enjoy and own both Keith and Conner.
Any thing by Dr Valerius Geist is a good read.

Have you read the White Indian Boy and Return of the White Indian Boy?

The first is better, but the sequel has a chapter telling the story of a circa 1920 guided hunt out of Jackson Hole gone wrong that is worth the price of the book alone.

For your taste, these are must reads.

I have read "Uncle Nicks" books ForkWest. He covered some territory and crossed paths with a whole lot of early western pioneer history. Living with nomadic Native American's during the transition years must have been quite a trip. Following that up with his experience in the Mormon's and the U. S. Army conflict, then the pony express, stage driver and free trapper years, he didn't miss out on much of the settling times.

I'm sure it sounds like I've got a vivid imagination, with all of "my family" stories but it is what it is, my great grandfather's name was George Staples. Like Uncle Nick, he was adopted (actually, purchased by) the Sioux Indians in 1850 and lived with them until 1852, when his father found him and brought him to Utah. Unfortunately George didn't write his history, like Elijah Nicholas Wilson did, so we only have limited knowledge about this time spent on the Wyoming plains, except to say, like Uncle Nick he grew to love his Indian mother, her family and had a very difficult time leaving them and the Indian live style.

Fun stuff to read, if you like that sort of thing, and I do.

Tomichi, I'll check out the Glen Hinshaw book Crusaders for Wildlife. There is only one review on Amazon about the book, without much detail of it's content. Would you mind sharing a little of it's content and objectives.

Thanks again.
DC

One of my Fave's.
Great topic LUMPY

Rifle In Hand:
How Wild America Was Saved
by James Posewitz

"The State of Utah has not given BGF anything.
They have invested in BGF to protect their
interests."
Birdman 4/15/15

I have a signed copy of the book.

I own all of Keiths books with the exception of Safari.

The gun notes volumes 1 and 2 are pretty good as well. The correspondence between Keith, Truman Fowler, and "270 Jack" are pretty entertaining.

If only those guys would have had the internet...

2lump, the Hinshaw book is a time line.1600 to now. Trappers/Spanish,Utes. Then the ranchers Miners what was here then. Things like selling wild caught fish for 1.50 a dozen.
shooting out the antelope in a couple years. same for elk then their come back. first hand accounts of elk releases. the first Arial game counts. bull dogging elk out of choppers because it was faster then waiting on the recovery drugs, interviewing old ranch wives who remember having to check the bear traps pre war. Families catching 2 or 3 grizz a summer. Good accounts of the last griz in the 50's the bear studies late 50's early 60's when all bear was closed to find griz. first camera traps used...all griz gone oh wait 1979. one showed up! good game warden stories of the locals stealing the evidence out of the game wardens truck during the trial . shoe shoeing in to check ice fisher men who have snowmobiles. first hatcheries things like that. Order the book you will like it!!!!

Thanks T, it sounds like it covers a wide range. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the information.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom