Who's got high cholesterol?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
What do you eat to help maintain it or keep it at a manageable level?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Have you changed your diet, Brian? Or just pop some pills and enjoy life?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Eat salmon and other cold water fish. Or buy Fish oil capsules. Walnuts are high in Omega 3 also. They raise your HDL and lower your LDL. HDL is the high density lipoprotein which is what you want.

Fish oil capsules it is! Thanks DM...I appreciate it.

My LDL was 256 and they told me that was kinda high. I don't eat bad so we're thinking it is hereditary.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 07:09?PM (MST)

I had high BP & bad cholesterol for years. Took pills for both. Made me feel like sh!t most of the time so I quit smoking (after 40 years)& started a low carb diet (bacon & eggs so it's not too bad)you have to keep taking the statin drugs to off set the bacon & eggs. Lo & behold I feel much better and I don't take BP pills. No drinking is not an option urrrrp!

Bottom line is if you don't abuse yourself to badly you'll probably make it to your 80's then croak. But if you say F'it and do what you feel like you die at 60 smiling.

Sorry, one more edit. Cancer truly doesn't discriminate so healthy people die from that disease as well. The above rant was not meant to offend Whiz.

HDL (high density lipo-protein)is good because it moves cholesterol from arteries to the liver. over 40 mg/dL is a good number; 60 or above is thought to give the heart some protection while < 40 is thought to possible cause heart issues.

LDL (low density lipo-protein)is bad because it deposits fatty stuff in vessel walls. under 100 mg/dL is good.

VLDL is a precursor to LDL and is really bad for you.

total cholesterol should be <200mg/dL

triglycerides should be < 150mg/dL

Wisz....Yes I have changed my diet and have lost over 25 pounds. I take pills for a number of problems and eat good stuff, none of the hamburgers/fries like I use to do. Lots of veggies and don't get rice or potatos much anymore. Dropped drinking sodas, either warm water or tea.

My Dr. told me at last visit after the blood work results that I am doing really good and right where I should be and to keep it up on the right foods etc.

My diabetis is in check along with high blood pressure and others.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Brian- Funny you mention warm water or tea. You know why hardly any Orientals have high cholesterol? Hot tea at each meal....the hot liquid does something to what causes cholesterol.

No offense taken, Jimmy.

If I have this warm water or hot tea correct, it keeps the food from harden and you are able to digest the food better. I have found a tea, cold that is, that is good. Some places have it and that is Raspberry Tea, both sugarless and w/sugar so might the right choice.

Funny thing I was told by my mom some years ago that my dad each morning would drink a large cup of HOT Water before leaving the house to go to work. He was a barber and on his feet most of the day and if a lot of customers, not much time to spend a "Al Bundy" with newspaper or magazine on the toilet during work. Guess he would have a big bowel movement each morning before heading to work.....us kids would be gone to school by then....LOL

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

.....apparently you do...

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom