Whoooo Likes

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
Aside from Eels Lumber + Owls hate.... How many of you Like Owls or Fear them due to old Mythologies ..... ?

The above was # 1. Now I ask, How many of you had an Owl as a Pet when you were age 9 thru 19+ ... ??

Any of you have a Taxidermy Owl upon your Favorite indoor Home wall ... ???

Any of you EAT an Owl Stew ????????? OR... Owl + Opossum Stew ? C'Mon ? Really.

My Personal Best Stew is California Striped Bass + Beaver. Trust me, The Beaver is the very best red meat any human could have. There is NO NEED for ignorant schoolboy comments via Beaver. We are better than such.

It's Lent so don't Lent's me (everyone) to hold back or fail to post. Especially those of you who are normally readers and not posters and those of you semi new, jump into this and write your Thoughts On OWL'zzzz

Jagerdad :)

hooters.jpg

Jump'n Jee Hosa Facts... Elk, you are one of a Kind.

Maybe you never come down from a C'O,Dah High... ? You are certainly a Funny + Highly Intelligent Man, Almost as keen as Feddoc, Deermadness and Tri. But Please Elk'y, try to stay focused.

This is about our feelings towards OWLS. The Feathery Hunters.

What about the Food aspects I mentioned...? I may be in California yet I have been afield.

I may have made an Honest Post. Kiddies Like Elk'y will banter. Ignore his [ Elk's ] Obfuscated Bombastic Chicanery totally Obfuscating The Health and well beings of Beaver Meat Eaters Association of AMERICA.

Elk, focus upon Plumbing and Taking Narcan ?
( https://www.narcan.com/ ) to escape an overdose of Dew... Mountain Dew That Is... Yah...Hooo... get it Elk : Yah Whooooo ?

???

There is some kind of owl that spends most of the night in a redwood tree at our place. It hoots early in the morning before daylight. I've never seen it.

I remember one winter a Snowy Owl showed up here. A guy I know was duck hunting and shot it. Bad boy! It's mounted in the Fish & Wildlife office now. It makes me smile every time I see it...lol

But was it a Spotted Owl?:D

There is some kind of owl that spends most of the night in a redwood tree at our place. It hoots early in the morning before daylight. I've never seen it.

I remember one winter a Snowy Owl showed up here. A guy I know was duck hunting and shot it. Bad boy! It's mounted in the Fish & Wildlife office now. It makes me smile every time I see it...lol

Never had one as a pet and never ate one. Owls are Raptors and thus protected from hunting. I had a Golden Eagle overnight once- it was huge and we saved it from monofilament death. It was so cool to see it fly away all majestic like that.
I love Owls and my favorite was a parliament of Burrowing Owls at Hanford when I worked there in the 90s. They were the cutest little creatures I have ever seen.

They’re my favorite Raptor. I consider myself lucky whenever I see one.

One time archery deer hunting, I was walking a wash real silently and made a turn. In the tree in front of me I counted 15 Owls. I wish I took a picture. Another cool part of that story is that I was near a place called Tecololte Ranch.

Another time I was riding a loud 2 stroke dirt bike in a wash and stopped to take a nap under the only Cottonwood tree for 8 miles, actually the only tree for 5 miles. As I was starting to doze off, I stared up into the tree and there was an Owl eyeballing me. I’m surprised it never flew off.

I was walking a canyon once where I knew owls nested. I wasn’t thinking about them, just focusing on the wind and being silent and suddenly an owl buzzed my head. It was so close we made eye contact.

PBS has a good documentary about them. They are the quietest birds in flight out there.

Another cool story.

I was on a project that was 15 acres and we were building a 250,000 sqft building. The City of Tempe has a water treatment plant about 100 yards away that has plenty of desert plants and trees. A pair of owls lived there and would hunt the site I was working. Every day, I was the first one there and would spook one or both of them as I opened the site. Once the building started going vertical, the owls would hang out inside at night and early morning and roost on the joists until the noise pushed them out. One day, the Data contractor came up to me and asked if anyone has a problem with them? I wasn’t sure what he meant so he told me that someone put a dead mouse in their coil of cable. I jumped on the scissor lift and went to check it out. Sure enough, dead mouse partially butchered. It right away dawned on me that it was one of the owls. The coil of cable looked like the perfect nest for the owl to set up on.

Some buddies had a juvie in a cage when I was in high school. Mean SOB - snap a pencil with ease and looked at you like he wished he could rip your eyes out.

The Native Americans around here don't like them at all. In a former life, "we" decided to put some of those plastic ones up in a open warehouse to keep the pigeon poop out. None of the natives came back to work. :oops: Bad medecine.

I think they are cool. We have the little screechers and the big boys too. We lose a couple cats to them every year.

I wish I still had the video and pictures but seem to have misplaced them. My brothers and I went hog hunting a few years ago on a good friends property. the first morning we were there i went to climb up into my stand in the dark and when i started to open the box blind door something hissed pretty loudly and scared the hell out of me. It took a couple minutes to get the courage up to open the door and look inside. Turns out someone had left the box blind windows open and a Barn owl had decided to make it a nest/home for 4 new baby owls. There were dead mice, rabbits, birds, squirrels, all sorts of stuff in the bottom of that box blind. not to mention piles and piles of owl crap. We came back the next day and took some cool pictures of the baby owls that looked like naked Chickens. things couldn't have been very old since they only were about 50% covered in those little white feathers baby birds grow. it's safe to say that blind didn't get hunted out of much for the next little while.

I may or may not know a guy that was out shooting prairie dogs for a rancher about 14-15 years ago. Rumor is that this guy that I may or may not know had been shooting prairie dogs for about 6 hours that day and had gotten pretty quick on the old rifle. Crap was dying left and right. Well, one time he shot and... poof! feathers were floating everywhere.... He had never heard of a burrowing owl and didn't realize they were something to look out for. Momma owl came home to one less kiddo that day and the guy i might know felt horrible about it. He said it was 100% an accident and I believe him. He's only HOOOOOman so i know he learned his lesson.

I love owls ! About every week or so a very big guy sets on the railing on our deck in the evening waiting for rabbits or squirrels to show. I find their bones on the pump house lid.

In the summer it wakes me up with it's hoooooting during the night and early morning.

Where I hunt in Kansas there a lot of owls and I sure enjoy it in the morning just before light they start calling. they are almost as loud as the turkeys. I walked up on one that had broken its wing and was hopping around on the ground...made me sad. Death sentence.

When I wrote about OWL & OPOSSUM Stew (Wilderness Stew) I thought for sure that comment would have all of you John Wayne Fans remembering Katherine Hepburn saying this to John Wayne in ROOSTER COGBURN.

They had just taken the Nitro Wagon back and here is some of the script:
I ain't goin' away without the nitro. I'll kill Rooster for it, and I'll kill each one of you, you show yellow again.
Here, drink yourself some guts.

Hello. The camp.
Owl and Opossum Stew.jpg

We must've hiked miles tryin' to get a shot at a turk... turkey.
Bagbsy's gun pulls to the left as it fires, and the site is off a little. But it's a beauty.
Son, we've been outclassed. - We got a mixed bag, owl and 'possum. Put them in the pot We'll have wilderness stew.

The picture is dark. Its from:

"HEAR" is a study on the Sounds of an Owl plus, far more. Very Cool.

Jagerdad :) Yes, I give a Hoot ... Great video above

I build and install owl boxes in my orchards to house barn owls that eat lots of gophers....barn owls screech.....then the great horned owls move in and eat the barn owls....great horned owls hoot.....

I love Owls and my favorite was a parliament of Burrowing Owls at Hanford when I worked there in the 90s. They were the cutest little creatures I have ever seen.

They nest in my pasture every year in some old prairie dog holes. My horses and mules have never been dumb enough to break a leg in one so I haven't filled em in purely for the entertainment value of those goofy little owls.

So do they just roost in the boxes or do they nest also? Hard to tell the difference thru the heatwaves between owls and prairie dogs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom