Who shoots .300 Win Mag? You like it?

nvhunter

I've had a Rugar .300 Win Mag for a number of years, model 77 mark II...never shot it, won it at a banquet. I just love my Rem 7mm mag so it has never really interested me to maybe change calibers.
Was just going to sell it and get a good coyote gun but got to looking at it and kinda started to like it. I've got it topped with a Bushnell 4200 Elite, nice and bright, seems like a great scope.

How does the .300 compare to the 7mag?

I've never really been a Rugar fan, always Remington, pros and cons on either one?
thanks

It throws a 180 grain slug about like a 7MAG will throw a 150 grain slug but with more KnockDown!

Nice Gun!

i have the m77 mark 2 in 300 win mag. Hands down my favorite gun and caliber! I did change the trigger out because it was a little heavy but its an accurate gun in a caliber that cant be beat for north american hunting! Use it, you will love it!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Justr makes a good point, but he failed to mention. His gun is great on coyotes and two point bucks, however is unable to hit big bucks.
Just something for you to keep in mind. Justr missed a dandy buck this year 4 times. According to him, it was the guns fault.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-11 AT 06:26AM (MST)[p]its always the guns fault if its a big buck!

Whats your excuse for missing a big bull kawboy?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have that Ruger 300 mark II and love it. I have other rifles like some of the 700's but the Ruger is the one I hunt with the most..

I love the caliber-I think it is just about perfect for just about anything in North America short of the big brown bears and will even work fine for them with today's great bullet choices. I took my pre-64 Winchester in .300 Win mag to the Yukon in 2006 and was ready for anything. No experience with the Ruger but a little shooting with different ammo will tell you all you need to know about the rifle.

Well!

Looks like the Ruger Cost the boys a Bull & a Buck this last year?:D

>I have that Ruger 300 mark
>II and love it. I
>have other rifles like some
>of the 700's but the
>Ruger is the one I
>hunt with the most..

Rug - you need to tell him why your name is Rugarm and not RugerM77 like it should be! LOL

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

>Well!
>
>Looks like the Ruger Cost the
>boys a Bull & a
>Buck this last year?:D

Lol, I think buck fever cost me a buck. Don't know what Ricks prob was with his remington, probably bull fever their huge at 20 feet!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-11 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]>>I have that Ruger 300 mark
>>II and love it. I
>>have other rifles like some
>>of the 700's but the
>>Ruger is the one I
>>hunt with the most..
>
>Rug - you need to tell
>him why your name is
>Rugarm and not RugerM77 like
>it should be! LOL
>
>
>
>UTROY
>Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LMAO Roy!!! We covered that before! Ruger Co. can't spell, it should have been Rugar.

Refere back to the original poster and how he spelled it? LOL!! It's not just me Roy..

I have me a Remington 700 w/ Leupold 4.5-14 on top for 15 years. It shoots Nosler 165 gr ballistic tip handloads like a dream and have never had to track a deer more than 50 ft. Its just a little more versatile than the 7mag in the heavy bullets but the performance is about the same imo. She's my only date to the dance when hunting season rolls around.

I have shot my Ruger m77 mark2 300 win
mag for 18 years, right out of the box
with factory ammo I love it, I shoot
165 grain winchester fail safes, they
started discontinuing them so I bought
12 boxes so I will have plenty!

My wife and 12 year old son also shoot it
when they hunt any big game.

Some people think the ruger is a cheaper gun,
but it is simple and accurate!

Yes I got excited this year on a good bull. But that tree jumped right in front of my bullet. Last year it paid off with a good bull. I like my remington. I did get a good white tail with my Remington.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I shoot a 300 Win Mag Winchester Mod. 70 and I love the 300 cal. I used to shoot a 7mm Weatherby vanguard and got a good deal on the 300. 300 just has a slight bit more knockdown power, but the 7mm seems to shoot a little flatter. I guess its just whatever your comfortable with.
I brought my 300 to interior AK (where im at now) to hunt moose. All the natives that took me hunting made fun of my "white man gun." (Big scope which is only a 3X9 Leo, and my bipod and sling). All the natives here use is AR 223 for moose and have killed occasional griz with them. The biggest gun anyone here has is a 30-06.

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

yep opbuckslayer that is my load too. use it for elk mainly. puts them down quick. i shot 2 bucks with it one was a little over 300. the deer was lifted off his feet with a WHOFMMP !smack that i wont soon forget. the other one......not thrilled to say but he was trotting about to crest the draw and i shot him a bit .back hmmf and it tottaly gutted him i mean litteraly. when i finished him off there was nothing behind the diaphram and guts were all over the alder brush even the stomach. it was kidn of funny i had my wife with me i told her to look for blood and she said " well theres it's stomach and all the intestines in that bush but i see no blood". it was grusome. but man that load puts the major smack down on elk. used to shoot a 200 partition and they would run off and pile up 50 -100 yards. with that load PSHMACK ! STUMBLE AND DROP !

I've shot that exact gun for years. Absolutely love it!!! If and when that gun finally dies I may just have to give up hunting. IMO a .300 WM is the most versital cartridge out there. You can hunt just about anything with it.

It's always an adventure!!!

Next to my .30-30 lever action, my Rem. 700 .300 WM is my favorite rifle. If it lives in North America and bleeds, I can kill it.

Eel

I have my dads Model 70 .300 Win Mag and have shot it for years. Absolutely love it!! Decided to put that gun away for my boy in about 10 years and bought a Rugar M77 .300 Win Mag stainless steel barrel and wood laminate stock, sure is a pretty gun. After shooting it and becoming very efficient I thought "hey, get something bigger" . I bought another Model 70 .338 mag. I really like the Model 70 but I have no problem with the M77. When I hunt big game, I take my .338 , but that damn .300 win mag is always there in camp in case I need it.
The only thing I take my 7mm Mag out for is to shoot targets and rocks.;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom