Who can spot Bucks...

sageadvice

Long Time Member
...best with the naked eye? We all must have memories or stories of guys we knew who continually could spot bucks, or deer, when others probably would have missed them? Care to share?

Also, I'm colorblind but when younger, i seemed to do pretty good picking out deer and i'm wondering if you think being color blind might give one, who knows what to look for, an edge?

Thanks!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I suspect u learned to look for the little things that give them away. The flick of an ear, the twitch of a tail, the horizontal line of an animals back in a sea of vertical trees. Now being color blind when lookin for antelope on the prairie on the other hand, would b a disadvantage I would assume?

I Usetacould!

But that was back when we had some!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

And I never Usedtacould. Wasn't good at it when I had a good eye, now that it's grown over, I can't see anything without binos!

I've got a son that can see a knat on a deer's butt. Disgusting!

Deer seem to do just fine with shades of grey, especially when I twitch. Don't know that color blindness would hurt you much unless you don't see yellow or white. Maybe your brain is compensating Sage, I knew that you must have had a secret weapon you weren't telling us about ;-)

DC

I've got a buddy who is colorblind.
Can't spot a deer for anything in the spring when they are "red"
Does pretty good in the fall. But once there is snow on the ground he can pick them out like crazy.

My buddy out in Sheridan, WY has the eye for spotting animals that I can't believe! We were out one afternoon scouting for antelope thi spast season and he stopped the truck and said there's a deer or antelope way out there and I asked where. He told me where to look and after about two minutes with my 7x50 B&L binos I finally found it and it was a doe mulie standing straight at us at about 3/4 mile. I could hardly make her out even with my binos and we joked about that the rest of the season at how good his eyes are at 54 with no glasses and how bad mine are with glasses and using binos. I still can't believe he saw that deer that far at just a quick glance as he was driving along!

Well.....TG....your buddy has prolly looked at the same spot a thousand times and knew that dot wasn't always there....

You certainly need to learn how to spot game.....it is an art

8346emporor_obama.jpg

I liked it big...fondler doesn't

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-14 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]My alologies guys, i didn't do very well at asking this question of you!

Thanks for responses i did get though guys!. I think TG actually gave a great reply, maybe the sort of replies that i was thinking possible to get a lot more of.

My Dad and Uncles used to brag on me about the deer i'd spotted that they couldn't see. Seemed i had our country down pretty good and the deer just stood out to me. My best bud back then had a good ranch to hunt on the other side of our home town valley with different terrain. On his place, I had a much harder time seeing the deer before he did, it frustrated me some as i was not used to that at all.

Another long time hunting Pard had just taken me through a place he had to hunt and when coming out, i spotted a deer up under a tree across the creek and up the hill some, maybe 130 yds. Looking thru my glass, I told him it was a buck but i thought him a spike. I know my friend could see as well as anybody i'd ever met but was surprised when, with his naked eye, said, "isn't that a small fork there on his left side?".

Looking thru my glasses, i finally did see that fork but looking over, my pards glass were still on the dashboard and i was extremely impressed that he could see that small fork when could barely see he had antlers at all.

I found out many many years later that the game was rigged. He had seen that buck before, knew what he was, and was just messing with me. Buds do that and i'm sure it was payback as i'd probably do the same to him. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-14 AT 07:37PM (MST)[p]>Well.....TG....your buddy has prolly looked at
>the same spot a thousand
>times and knew that dot
>wasn't always there....
>
>You certainly need to learn how
>to spot game.....it is an
>art
>
>
8346emporor_obama.jpg

>I liked it big...fondler doesn't

At 67 I can hold my own for the most part with all the eye problems I happen to have---astigmatism so bad I can't wear contacts, terrible nearsightednes so the further something is the worse it is and I'm only correctable to about 20/40. I also have cataracts and Keratoconus, which is a degeneration of the cornea and if it gets worse I may have to have corneal transplants. I pray every day that I'll be able to hunt for a long time yet because the way I love hunting and shooting I think I'd rather die than lose my eyesight.

I think alot of it comes with just knowing what areas to look at, I suprise myself quite a bit cause I have a hunch about a spot that looks like it will have a deer in it. More times than not I will glass up deer in the spot.

My eyes are not the best without my binos though, I have bad astigamtisam in both, Hopefully I can have lasik done and get it corrected though.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I go out looking for deer occasionally with a guy who guides on the Arizona strip. Now I've hunted deer my whole life and consider myself pretty good at finding them. But this guy makes it look easy. Without fail, he spots deer minutes before I see them, and usually finds twice as many as I do. If this happened once or twice, I'd think it was a coincidence. But it happens every single time.

Glassing is a skill. And like any other skill, some people are just better at it than others. Quality optics are important, but I think equally important is the amount of time you spend using them.

I'm colorblind and I can spot deer/elk and other game just as good if not better than my friends who aren't. I don't know any different as far as colors. I see a deer as the color that I've always learned to identify it. It's all about training your brain to recognize specific colors, anatomical features, and movements but also, most of all, knowing where, when and how to look for them.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom