whitetail in lusk still their?

W

wyobaldy10

hey has anyone been around lusk this year? Have you been seeing the whitetail does still? I got 3 doe/fawn for that area and I heard they were limited because of blue tongue. ANybody got any news for that area? Im going up nov 1 to try filling them with my 4 year old boy so I dont want to make the trip if the rumor is true that the deer are not around like last year. Thanks

I don't know about Lusk but I was in Fort Laramie (which is about 40 miles from Lusk) on an antelope hunt and the people there said that about all the whitetails in that area had died from EHD.

Might be a good idea to contact the Wyoming Game and Fish to ask about the EHD die off.

Appreciate it man. Yeah I've called the warden and casper office but they refer me to someone and no answer and no call backs. Ill be hunting about 20 miles north of lusk. Their was a lot last year so I hope their is a few I can harvest.

I follow 2 ranches north of Lusk very closely. Numbers are reduced about 80-90% from last year. We did not hunt those ranches this year and may not hunt them next year either. The deer herds need some time to heal up.

We were west of Laramie on an elk hunt for a week in early October.When leaving we drove up thru Chugwater and east to Lusk and then north to Newcastle.We did not see even one deer in all that driving.Did not see very many antelope either. They deffinately need some help .Even if they cut tags further it will take several years to rebound. I talked to the Lusk Gamewarden and he said to save my money ,do not buy a deer tag for a couple years anyway.

I spoke with a Game Biologist and he said that Ranchers are B.S'ing the numbers of whitetail killed off this fall from disease.

I asked why and he said they do that to limit hunters if some do die off to keep a large herd for the landowner coupons each season.

If they loose a few, they stop all hunting on the private ground to keep the herds large enough to make plenty of $$$ for the next year.

He stated it isnt about 'killing off the whitetails due to crop damage', but to make money off the coupons.

They have been out doing counts in fields and said the herd sizes are still plentiful.

One Rancher complains each year to Fish and Wildlife about his Ranch being over run with Elk.. Guess what, he runs an outfitting business on his 'Ranch' for All Species, especially Elk.

A Count was done last year on how many elk he has compaired to how many he should have.

They estimated over 800 head of elk, but found the land should only sustain 400 head, yet, he doesnt allow enough elk to be harvested each year to get the numbers down.

Yet, he complains about too many Elk... hummmm....

Its all about $$$$$$ to a Rancher like that. Charges 3500.00+ for hunting elk, then turns in the coupons for $$$$.

If he were to get the herd numbers where they should be at 400 Elk... he may loose $$$$ from coupons and hunting fees to hunt his Ranch...

I met him actually, and he is an A Class Shyster.

Thanks dreamin, I actually got access on two ranches north of lusk. Talk to both and they said they have seen some so I hope their is a chance. To late not to waste money. I got 4 tags total. Buddy and I filled 6 tags in 8 hours last year on one of these ranches so I hope I can have just as luck with my lil hunting partner by my side this year! Also I never got phone calls back from the biologist or the warden for that area

This is kind of a busy time of year for G&F personnel...

If the whitey's got their a$$es kicked so bad by the EHD, why is the season open for any whitetail for the entire month? Makes one wonder..

wyobaldy,

Hey will you let me know how your hunt goes? I'm suppose to be headed that way on the 14th and I am kinda nervous after reading what everyone has been saying. I hope your hunt goes good, good luck to you. Feel free to pm me. Maybe I can get your number and we can talk things over. Thank You.

Well hunt went good! Got some does! Lots of deer their so I don't know what everyone was thinking or what they heard. We Got 4 on Friday and 3 Saturday morning. Even seen 100 antelope on the ranch and lots of mule deer. Two really nice whitetail bucks, didn't have access to the property they were hanging on. It was fun to have my 4 year old son hunt with me! Heading back up in two weeks or to get some more

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom