Whitetail hunting around Riggins

scubasteven25

Haven't been on here for a while as I have been TDY, but I need some info. I have access to a couple thousand acres of private land several miles northeast of Riggins. I will be whitetail hunting there this fall. I haven't been to scout on this land yet and will not have a chance until September due to work obligations. Does anyone have information or tips about the wildlife in this area? I will probably try for bear as well if the population #'s are good. Anything else around there? You can PM me.

Thanks, Steven

>ha ha. call the land owner:)
>

Already have, but they are non-hunters and just bought the acreage as an investment. No one has ever hunted it but they have stated they see some type of wildlife every time they go for a visit.

no one has ever hunted it.... yeah right; if they are absentee land owners in that county, I assure you it is getting hunted. depening on how far north and east of Riggins you are talking, I might know the ground. I grew up on a ranch in that country. All the private ground in from the river to about 1/2 way up the side of the canyon. If the property is in a major creek drainage to the river, then it will have good numbers of whitetails. Bears for sure. If they own right up to the forest boundary, then it is very possible that there will be some elk on it. Especially after the shooting starts on the forest on Oct 10th. There will be some mulies in there as well. That will be a permit hunt for them though. (time to put in for the hunts is right now!)

The whitetail hunting will be better in November, but bear and elk season will be closed.

>no one has ever hunted it....
> yeah right; if they
>are absentee land owners in
>that county, I assure you
>it is getting hunted. depening
>on how far north and
>east of Riggins you are
>talking, I might know the
>ground. I grew up on
>a ranch in that country.
>All the private ground in
>from the river to about
>1/2 way up the side
>of the canyon. If the
>property is in a major
>creek drainage to the river,
>then it will have good
>numbers of whitetails. Bears for
>sure. If they own right
>up to the forest boundary,
>then it is very possible
>that there will be some
>elk on it. Especially after
>the shooting starts on the
>forest on Oct 10th. There
>will be some mulies in
>there as well. That will
>be a permit hunt for
>them though. (time to put
>in for the hunts is
>right now!)
>
>The whitetail hunting will be better
>in November, but bear and
>elk season will be closed.
>

Thanks for the information. I assume you mean poached and not hunted. These people do not live on the property and there are no structures on the property.

that may be the case, but if it is not farm ground, which I suspect it is not, and it is not posted "no Hunting" or "Orange Fence posts", which I have my doubts as well... Then it is not poaching or tresspassing, Idaho is a littel different than other states in this reguard. Believe it or not there are still land owners around this neck of the woods that just don't care if people go hunting on their ground that much. It is getting more rare to see that, but it still does happen.

Springbear is right. In Idaho it is the landowners responsibility to post.

BYW, I hope your legs and lungs are in shape?

>that may be the case, but
>if it is not farm
>ground, which I suspect it
>is not, and it is
>not posted "no Hunting" or
>"Orange Fence posts", which I
>have my doubts as well...
>Then it is not poaching
>or tresspassing, Idaho is a
>littel different than other states
>in this reguard. Believe it
>or not there are still
>land owners around this neck
>of the woods that just
>don't care if people go
>hunting on their ground that
>much. It is getting more
>rare to see that, but
>it still does happen.

I did not know that. Good information to know. I need to ask them if they have their land posted in any way.

>
>Springbear is right. In Idaho
>it is the landowners responsibility
>to post.
>
>BYW, I hope your legs
>and lungs are in shape?
>

Legs and lungs are in very good shape. I hunted just as steep a ground as what's around here when I went to southern Colorado and northern New Mexico.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom