Which State would you chose?

m_freeman

If you had a choice of any Western State to live in and you based your choice only on hunting opportunity for all big game and fees, which State would it be?

I think Wyoming, because the state has so much to offer as far as variety goes and there are lots of critters there too!

Can't kill em from the couch!

For me--after hunting a couple times in each of these states, I would rank them as folows...

Wyoming

Nevada

Arizona

Idaho

Colo.

Utah

Robb

Montana.

World class elk, deer whitetail and muleys, antelope, bear, pheasants, coyote hunting!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]1-Wyoming
2-Colorado
3-Arizona

Definitely Montana. More water, land, animals, fish, you name it. Plus their economy hasn't been hurt as bad as most of the other western states...

1. Nevada (i love this place too much)
2. Montana
3. Colorado

To the gentleman who posted above me... New Mexico sucks. sorry. There may be alot of game and some beautiful country but you can take your 120 degree summers and shove em right up your a$$. hahaha. Dont mean that offensively but damn does that heat suck.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 02:25PM (MST)[p]I would choose Montana. Of course that is where I grew up so I'm biased a little, but the resident hunting licenses are still very reasonably priced and you can buy OTC tags for most animals. Also it is a bit harder to hunt as a nonresident than quite a few states.

They have huntable Mule Deer, Whitetail, Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Bison, lots of upland and migratory birds, trapping opportunities, good fishing, etc...

Potentially have the opportunity to hunt wolves again and maybe grizzlies.

Makes me home sick just thinking about it! ;-)

If I were going to choose a place to live on hunting merit alone, it would have to be British Columbia. Three types of sheep to hunt, along with mule deer, blacktail deer, grizzly, black bear, caribou, two types of moose, elk, etc., etc., etc.

Montana would be next on my list.

TJ

California....becuase I'd never have to field dress an animal!

Kidding of course.....I've never been to Montana so I can't pick that state. I would have to say WY but Montana sounds like it has more to offer.

Steve
T&A Inspector

Wyoming without question, then Colorado but first and foremost if anywhere would be British Columbia, Smithers specifically. Sorry to go off about non lower 48 places.

wyoming hands down.
If wyoming burned down i would move to montana.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

California, because mountain lion tags are free!

Next would be Wyoming. Lots of game and the nicest people I've ever met.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 06:51PM (MST)[p]

>Wyoming without question, then Colorado but
>first and foremost if anywhere
>would be British Columbia, Smithers
>specifically. Sorry to go off
>about non lower 48 places.
>

Joe.
My heart bleeds for Smithers BC.

smithers.jpg

The largest steelhead on Earth dwell there with 30lb plus fish caught yearly.
The scenic beauty is second to none, it teems with wildlife.

Availability of tags would have to rate #1 in my decision.
Abundant trophies mean little if you can't ever hunt them.

Alaska & Montana are way high on the list.

HH

I would say Colorado, Idaho or Montana. The reason I would not include WY because it's REAL hard to draw a sheep, mtn goat and moose.

Here in Colorado I've drawn 2 sheep tags and a mtn goat tag. Guys seem to whine about the long odds on a WY sheep draw.

But I've been applying for over 25 years fro a Colorado moose. I drew a WY moose in 8 years.

UTAH!! Hands down the best hunting opportunities for the lower and middle class american. You can hunt yearling bull elk every year and rifle hunt muleys every other year for 3-5 days depending on the unit. Its amazing!

>UTAH!! Hands down the best hunting
>opportunities for the lower and
>middle class american. You can
>hunt yearling bull elk every
>year and rifle hunt muleys
>every other year for 3-5
>days depending on the unit.
>Its amazing!

I think this is the funniest thing I have ever read!!

1. Alaska
2. Wyoming
3. Montana
4. Colorado
49. Utah
50. Hawaii

That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, Utah is pretty far down the list.

Alaska
Montana
Colorado
Wyoming
Idaho
The rest don't rank with me, nor would I ever consider living there...

Right now AK is at the top, something about getting to hunt sheep, moose, goats, griz, etc every year has its appeal. I can still go south to get my elk/deer fix. I suppose once I have a pile of moose and sheep heads in the garage to match the deer/elk pile I'll head back south. Until then you guys keep dreaming about hunting the 'big 3' and I'll keep hunting them every year. :)

UTAH IS THE TOP OF THE LIST...GUARANTEED!

If you have tons of $$$$$$.

You could hunt world-class animals every year. Nobody caters to the rich man like Utah.

For the average guy...Colorado.

Grizzly

Wyoming or Montana. Little concerned about Wyoming public land access though.

Alaska and Colorado. I would have thought someone would mention Arizona, never hunted it, but it's got to be better than New Mexico!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-10 AT 10:57PM (MST)[p]Montana
Wyoming
...I almost ended up in Alaska about 5 ago and would go there if things were different and I was younger..Alaska third then no where else, what would be the point.

Utah near dead last. Would almost chose California, Serbia, Mexico City over it.

Hunterharry that pic is absolutely beautiful, WOW, and I live just down the road from BC and never been there. I am missing out.

Already made that choice and moved from Nevada to Wyoming in 2008. Loved Nevada, but simply didn't have the luck to draw tags with any regularity. Opportunity for my children to hunt big game was another factor.

grew up in NV, but now live in WY, its great, but Montana has more diversity I believe. Idaho has lot of hunting opportunity and manages wildlife a lot like WY, but loses out on quality, partly because of a far larger population. If I were wealthy? British Columbia would be the dream. guess I was born in the wrong country, but on the bright side Im actually luckier than most, just living where I do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom