Which scope to pack

T

tshoff

Hi,

I've been tossing around which spotting scope to pack on my up-coming high country mule deer hunt. The options are:
At a total of 2.7 pounds, my Nikon Spotter XL scope with lightweight Bushnell tripod OR
At a total of 6.37 pounds, my Vortex Razor scope with SLIK tripod.

I generally pack in about six miles and a few thousand feet in elevation gain for a few days at a time.

I've heard it said, that when it comes to optics weight doesn't matter. But I can say, weight still matters.

Even though the Nikon is not as bright, and has a slightly lower magnification than the Vortex, it's still not bad glass and offers a quality look. So at a difference of 3.67 pounds, is the extra weight worth it when packing your entire camp and gear on your back? I'm interested to see opinions.

Thanks.

If you are only doing a 6 mile pack, I would definitely take the Razor. You laid out the money for the better optics, definitely use them, 4 pounds will not break you on the pack but it may make the difference in your hunt. That high country hunting can be alot of time behind a spotter (depending on where you are) I would take the best that you have. It could be the difference maker between an average buck and a great buck. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom