Which rangefinder

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
Looking to buy a rangefinder mostly for antelope hunting. Budget tight, looking at the Bushnell Sport 850. Anyone know if these will range an antelope at 400+ yards. Seems like most of these laser rangefinders won't really work on game past about 300 or so yards. With a rifle distance under 300 or so is not important to me. I just need to know if I am misjudging that buck on out there.

Thanks

They won't, but they will range the rock or bushes or outcropping next to them which is easier than trying to hold a rangefinder on an antelope anyway. My buddy bought one a couple weeks ago, I personally don't like it compared to my Nikon but he's ok with it so its fine.

I bought a Leupold GX-1. I have seen them for $200 or so used. It is the Golf version, but has a fog mode, which has proved helpful for me. I have ranged cedar trees at over 650, buildings at over 700 and animals at over 500. I tested it against a Leica 1200 and both gave the same readings. No incline helper, but the rest is perfect. It also picks up the target very well and has a good scan. Great rangefinder for the money.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I really like the Leica 1200. Theyre up used all of the time for around 400. Clean ranges out to 1100 yards.

Antelope in the flats are tough to range. Ive had at least 2 B&C class bucks that I couldnt get a reading on with my Nikon because they were in the wide open flats and appeared to be 350-500? Missed both shots. The Leica picks those lone goats up--I think its worth the extra $ if it means a trophy on your wall!

"You skin grizz?"

If budget is the issue I would buy, and buy SOON.

The Nikon Monarch Laser 800. It WORKS to 600 really well.

They are closing them out. You could get one for around 280.

Good luck!

Mike

+1 on the Nikon Monarch 800. I bought one on ebay for 220 a couple years ago.

Elkoholic.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom