Which Montana Sheep Unit

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I have my search narrowed to 2 units. One unit is basically in my back yard. (I've applied for this unit a long time) I could scout it almost everyday, and have friends with extensive knowledge of the sheep in the area. Help for the hunt is readily available. The other is about an 8 hour drive away. More than likely holds bigger rams. Scouting would be limited or not at all. Help on the hunt? MAYBE. But, bigger rams. What would you guys do? mtmuley

which hunt would be "funner"??....that's all that matters

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

No matter which tag you draw (or if you end up with a 160 or 190 ram), you will be happy. I'd take draw odds over absolute size anyday on sheep. Just feel lucky to get the chance to hunt sheep, if you are an average Joe. Not sure what the draw odds are on your closer unit in comparison. that being said, an adventure away from home with a better shot at a real monster does add some excitement...Basically, don't sweat, there is no bad choice.

I'm gonna apply for the unit close to home. Makes the most scense, and several 190 rams come out of this area every year. I have the max of Montana's "bonus points". We'll see. mtmuley

The size of your sheep, should you ever draw, is nowhere near as important as the quality of the experience. My MM name comes from my 160 inch 10 year old Wyoming ram that came from my best hunting experience ever! +1 for the unit with the best odds, especially since it is probably close to home and it will definitely extend the time you have to hunt. Good luck. We all want a MT tag!

Anyone who draws any Montana sheep tag would be very lucky to draw in their life time. Even if they had max points. The odds are slim. The truth is many more people want to hunt sheep, than their are tags available. Good luck in the draw, someone will be lucky.

This is the time of year I start to dream and think...What if? Leaning still toward close to home. REDDOG, Dang you. mtmuley

It would be tuff to decide, but i think you are correct in your thinking, stay close and put in the time. it sounded like you had your mind made up, so i threw the 680 at you to give you a little grief...besides, everyone knows 680 is shot out anyway!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom