Which GPS to buy?

L

Lone_Pine

Our scout troop is looking to purchase a troop GPS and I was wondering if any of you would help us with choosing the best option for us. We want to be able to download the back country maps, but isn't that a pretty standard function? Thanks for the advice and help in advance.

I've been doing a ton of research and trying out various units and ended up going with the Delorme PN-40. It should be delivered tomorrow!

While the screen is a bit smaller on this one than the Garmin's I bought it entirely for the mapping capabilities. The Garmin's support topo maps, but it looks very 'cartoony' and is difficult to read the topo maps. Plus you have to pay extra for each map you get - the base package is sparse to say the least. Delorme's maps are full color and pretty much look just like your paper map. The built-in map is MUCH better than Garmin's. Plus you can load photo quality satellite imagery and lots of other maps. $30/year gives you anything you want/can download. Garmin charges about that per large map.

If you're really interested in the mapping feature, I think the Delorme is the way to go. Beyond that, I think you'll find the GPS features to not be terribly different among most of the mid-to-upper line GPS units.

I'm with apollosmith-buy a delorme. I bought the pn-20 a few years ago when it first came out. It has since been replaced with a much better pn-40. They made the changes they needed to mainly; a faster processor, stronger antenna, and an electronic compass. Where the delorme really shines is like apollo said, in their mapping software that comes with the gps. IMO delormes mapping software, images, interface BLOWS away everyone elses! It's a very easy and fun gadget to use and "play" with. I still have my pn-20, and like it, but if I could, I would replace it with that pn-40.

I got a 60 CSX about a month ago and I think it is a great unit. I have the old school topo and Roads and rec already so I loaded both of them. With a 2 gig micro sd I can load everything west of the mississippi from both map sets. I want to get the 24K topo since it has the same auto routing ability the city navagator has.
I like the 60 csx so far. I would stay away from any model with the click stick like the etrex models. I have a couple of them and they are kind of a piain in the rear end. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-09 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]I use the Delorme PN-40. It is an excellent piece of hardware, and the software is second to none. Period.

Huh???? Their price on the PN-40 is $140 more than Amazon.com. $370 at tigergps vs. $230 at Amazon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom