Wheres all the Deer?

quest

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-11 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p] While in California this year I was able to go out with family members on a hunting adventure. My brother had a deer tag for one of the B zones and I wanted to tag along with my camera to see if I could get some good video. We did see some bucks and some does but nothing like it use to be. I remember hunting here not to long ago (5 years ago) and seeing lots of deer all over the place. I ask my brother wheres all the deer? He said politics. He explained to me the only thing that's kept our hunting some what good was the burns and now they've taken that away from us then he ended and said lets hope California will change but I don't see it.:-(

quest

I somewhat agree, i noticed a ways back with the spotted owl thing and the selective logging now, deer populations have decreased, clear cuts meant food for deer...

Like my brother says one thing after another. When does it all stop? Who are these people making these changes?

quest

B zones loaded...X-1 is loaded..
So I disagree..maybe its Just my spots... bucks are same spots year after year...
Good luck.

B zones loaded...X-1 is loaded..
So I disagree..maybe its Just my spots... bucks are same spots year after year...
Good luck

Really....."Loaded" is kinda of a relative term, Loaded compared to every other state in the west, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho Ect.........absolutly not, California sucks, and does nothing for deer or any other wildlife other than the sage grouse, which is the new political agenda. "Loaded" compared to the D's where every dink forkey gets shot, I would agree with you.

California in a piss poor state all around and California fish and game is into managing people not game.

Muleyczy

Thanks for that link newguy. It's good that someone is finally going to do something official.

The article said:

"Statewide, the harvest of black-tailed deer bucks has declined from 27,846 in 1989 to 14,895 in 2009, a drop of 46 percent. In the counties in the study area zone, harvest numbers have dropped from 3,013 to 1,297, a 57 percent decline."

In this case, the study area zone is Mendocino Co.

To a man, everybody I know, would agree, WITH THE EXCEPTION that in certain areas deer seem to be doing fine. It's almost like little islands of deer in between vast ares of nothing. The trick is to find one of those pockets. The pockets that I've found over the past few years get discovered one way or another, and get hammered. And hammered hard.

There are guys I know who hunt private ranches that have no clue. Their herds are as healthy as ever. I also know guys who hunt private ranches who haven't seen a deer on their ranch for several years now. It's weird.

Every time someone here asks for help with blacktails I want to help, but I just can't offer any advice that I feel would be that helpful. I'm as confused as anyone. I'm not being a jerk. Places I've killed lots of bucks over the years, I don't even bother looking anymore. It's a waste of time. The only thing I can see is that the deer are gone. Everything else looks the same.

I found a good spot a few years back. I saw quite a few bucks but couldn't close the deal. The last time I went in there, there was a mass of "foreigners" who went through the area and killed everything. Even the squirrels were gone.

I can't speak to the Wilderness areas because I haven't been in any of them in a long time but most will tell you they're still "good".

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I hope we can get back on track.

Eel

Mt Lion, burns and people who are not use to hunting here lack of funds are reasonable explanation for the decline. I like the idea they're doing a study on Blacktail deer I just hope its open outcome and not political outcome.

I would echo Eel on this subject and add that the state has to wake up and stop the two tag plan, even though most don't kill two bucks some do and others wouldn't shoot the first "meat buck" they see and this may save a few more.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Believe it or not, i'm actually seeing a few deer, maybe even more deer, around Chester here in zone C-4. Nothing to jump up and down about but just 3-4 years ago, i thought this herd was doomed. Maybe it still is but there are still a few out there, some decent bucks, and i'm not talking about the golf course or Country Clubs.

If they needed a "study" to tell them that Mt Lions are a major bad thing for our deer herds, us guys around here could have saved them the money!

Joey

Hey quest to bad you couldnt have been here to video opener of A-zone with them. Are you gonna be able to make it out to Wyoming with us?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom