Where would you set up a stand?

sandman

New hunter and I plan on hunting whitetails in this field. Where would you set up a stand and/or blind? Need to stay on the north or east sides of the clearing as much as possible to meet distance requirements. Predominant winds are west or south west. Would you enter right up the driveway? Cut across the field? Stick to the edges? Most importantly, where would you set up?
Screenshot_20240823_213225.jpg

I'd set up more than one for different winds if If you can. If a new property I'd set up somewhere I can see the most area so I could then get a feel for where I need to actually be hunting. The more edges that come together the better. Whitetails are creatures of edges.

For rifle or ML hunting, and if I was walking in while it was dark, and I only had a couple days, I marked a few places that intrigue me. They look to be narrow clearings that could give some visibility. Since they are narrow, they provide cover that WTs like.

As Nick said, if you've got time to scout, or hunt all season, setup somewhere you can see a lot. As in on the edge somewhere that you can see all the way across. That would allow you to watch and gain intel where and when deer are moving.

You'll hear it said more, but boots on the ground will give you the best intel. You'll find game trails, crossings, funnels, etc. that you can't see in aerial photos.

However, the easiest way to figure it out, is to hope it has turkeys! And hunt them in the spring. :) :) Why? You'll cover lots of ground without a preconceived notion of where you want to go. A turkey sounds off and that's where you're going! Along the way you'll find plenty of places you want to come back to and check out for deer. That's how I've found most of my good deer spots on the large tract of public land I frequently hunt.

Good luck!

Capture.JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom