Where were you 11 years ago?

feddoc

Long Time Member
I was about 60 miles from DC aboard PAX River NAS. Around 30 of us were attending a meeting when the TV monitors were turned on just a few minutes before the second plane hit. Even with the first plane, we all knew it wasn't an accident. And every single one of us wanted to arm up a Hornet and extract our revenge. None of us knew, or could have know, what was about to unfold, and still is, now 11 years later.

My wife was at home aboard the weapons station at China Lake. The day prior she had troubles with the med clinic over their failure to proved proper treatment for someone with chest pains radiating to the left armpit, nausea and a family history of CHD. Things got verbal and she left, went to the local ER and was treated properly.

Phone service back to the base was nearly non-existent. The base (both NAS PAX and NAWS China Lake) was locked down immediately, no outgoing or incoming traffic allowed.

I finally got through on a DSN line to my Colonel and he volunteered to go over to my house to let my wife know that I was ok. He happened to be in his mess dress uniform (for a previously scheduled engagement) and was driving a USMC vehicle. When the Gunny and the Colonel got out of the car and headed up the driveway my wife was horrified...she was afraid to ask the question; (she knew that I had planned to visit a former Hospital Corpsman-turned intel officer- at the Pentagon) instead she asked if she was in trouble for what happened at the clinic. Due to a schedule change, I never made the trip to the Pentagon to visit the young man who used to work for me. He made it out alive; many of his co-workers did not.

It took us nearly 4 days to get back home. We had airline unusable tickets and no real way to get back to CA. I already had authorization to make a road trip and had secured a 15 passenger van to take us back to China Lake...road trip deluxe. At the last minute a KC135 became available, so the 12 of us loaded up next to what I recall was about 200,000 lbs of fuel.

All those lives lost, and we continue to lose them, over what seems to be jealousy on the part of obl. What a waste.

I was a freshman at SUU. My mom lives on the east coast and she called and told me to turn on the TV, my roommates and I watched the second plane hit.

It was a strange few days, that's for sure. We drove down to the tiny Cedar City airport to look at the airliners that had landed there. Classes were cancelled. Lots of different emotions, people were sad, angry, worried, scared. I remember the week after like it was just last week.

I was in the back country of Colorado. It was Sept 14th before I had a clue what had happened.

The first call home getting the news was hard to take.

I was a senior in high school. Listend to the first part on the baler before school. All we did in school that day was watch the tv. Everyone was silent.

It was a normal morning at home before work until I turned the TV on. Everything changed. Never forget.

i was ironing a shirt for school that morning. watched the 2nd plane hit and was just speechless. i was so shocked i placed the iron on the floor and burnt the floor.. that iron spot is still there to this day in the basement..

My wife and I were in Florence, Ore. with my hunting-fishing partner and his wife. We were just getting ready to leave to do some crabbing and salmon fishing when I was told to turn on the T.V. in the R.V.
After seeing the second plane hit the tower, I turned to my hunting partner and told him we will be going to war over this.

RELH

I was right here at work in shock...and then PISSED!!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I was in NM bow hunting elk and only got bits and pieces of info. until we got back to town.....NEVER FORGET !!

I was watching Fox News and drinking coffee when the first plane hit. I immediately called a buddy in Ocean City, Md. to tell him to turn on the TV. We talked for a while, and then we both watched as the 2nd plane hit the other tower.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I was getting ready for school.

Just returned from a trip there a few Weeks earlier and the twin towers was my favorite spot.....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Just finished up painting the submarine for the day. It was in dry dock at the time and it was immediately put on the fast track to go out to sea.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I was sitting in my truck just off I-70 waiting to be picked up to go harvest forage trials in Meeker. I turned the radio on, which I rarely do because I was bored ,and heard the news. When my work partners showed up I told them to turn on the radio, that the United States was at war. We listened to the radio all the way to Meeker in almost complete silence. Just reading these threads is giving me goose bumps and more than a little bit of anger.

I was on the road for work, driving back to our office and heard about it on the radio. I got back in time to see the towers collapse.

We were in NYC in May of this year and visited the memorial, it was hard to imagine what happened there at that spot 11 yrs ago.

What really gets me is my wife teaches at a community college and her freshmen students don't really even remember it!

Chasing elk on my 1st self organized DIY in ID.

Came out of the mountains to get fuel in Challis. Pulled into a gas station and saw the headlines. Listened to the radio up at bayhorse lake after calling the family. That was some trip...

Sitting in Las Vegas packing my stuff for the MT archery hunt and watching the whole thing unfold on the news,didnt make that flight...

In other words feddoc you was living your life just like the rest of us. I was away from my family living in rm 202 Residence Inn SLC getting ready for the 2002 Olympics. The whole world lost some innocence that awful day.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

I was guiding muzzy hunters out of a lodge on grand mesa at the time. Their hunt ended on wednesday september 12th. It was two brothers by the names of Mike & Larry. We spent all day surrounded by bugling bulls down in the cedars and they passed up several shots on smaller bulls. We didn't even notice how quiet the skies got after the planes all got on the ground by mid afternoon. We arrived at the lodge for dinner about a hour after dark.......happy and hungry after a day in the middle of rutting bulls. The boss was standing on the back porch and I could tell from the look on his face that something bad had happened. When he told me what had unfolded that day I really struggled to get my head around it. My father and youngest brother drove up to the lodge that night to visit me I recall. We had a pair of hunters from New York(hunting with one of our other guides)......they knew people that worked in the towers. That really brought the magnitude of the evil that had been thrust upon us home to roost with me. How that evil could reach us all the way up on the mountainside in Colorado. We had satellite t.v. at the lodge and I couldn't unglue my eyes from it. I think I might have gotten an hour of sleep at best that night. The air outside felt thick..........like a blanket of evil gloom had decended on the land. The next day we went out and Larry harvested a bull at 11yds while his brother watched from beside me. We almost felt guilty that we could go on with our lives in such a manner while so many others were likely still fighting for theirs amongst the rubble of the WTC and in numerous hospitals in NYC. Our New York hunters left the lodge early to try and catch the first flight home that they could if I remember correctly. While I couldn't have been in a safer place physically that fateful day, I truly realized the reach that pure evil has. I will never forget.

I missed the memo eel... exactly where was you?

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Setting on a granite boulder, waiting on a float plane. It was a long, long wait.

I was getting ready for work after a good night of drinking Crown Royal with one of my Army buddies. Turned on the TV and watched the first tower burning, it had already been hit. Went downstairs and woke up my buddy and told him what I had just seen. Went back upstairs and watched the 2nd plane hit the other tower, went back downstairs and told my buddy he better get up, that we were under attack. I don't know that I had ever felt so insecure and helpless in my life. Then it turned to a burning heartfelt rage that I still feel when the anniversary of that day comes, every year!!

I was at work and ordering supplies for a job that was to be done later that month. The boss called me and said "turn on the TV down there in our shop" and when I did the 2nd plane was headed towards the building and then it crashed. Before I knew it, had some of the Linemen in the shop watching this whole thing unfold. 2 weeks later I went on vacation to Wyo hunting and never returned to work till I turned in my keys, hardhat and ID along with CC.......I had already planned to use up my vacation and then RETIRE......which I did and still enjoy the freedom and no more damn hardhat or BOSSES!

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I was in my kitchen drinking coffee watching the TV... I thought my wife had some movie on BUT IT WAS LIVE. I also happended to be on mid-tour leave (archery elk season) from my remote to Diego Garcia but fortunately was not recalled since airline travel was shut down. A few days later I arrowed a cow at 18 yards at 0715, gave the meat to friends since I couldn't take it back to the island.

I was flying down the Missouri River near Bismarck, ND in my boat while pre-fishing for the In Fisherman PWT Championship. Came around a bend and saw two other Michigan pro's on the bank waving us over frantically. Pulled in and beached my boat and they began to tell us the story and we listened to the radio for over 3 hours there on the banks of the river.

Later that night at dinner we watched in grim silence in a bar/grill we were at with every other patron as the news unfolded on TV.

Next day all of the participants were called together for a meeting to decide if we were going to continue with the championship or not as all the other sports venues were cancelling their games. After listening to telegrams from the Governor of ND and Pres. Bush urging us to not let the terrorist stop us from our day to day lives, we voted to continue the tournament. I believe we may have been the only professional sporting event to come off that weekend.

Definitely was a somber mood that morning at the vote.......

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom