Where can I go for Bighorn photos?

J

jtim

Can anyone help me with my quest to photograph some nice Bighorn rams? I'm willing to go to either Montana, Idaho or Washington. I'm thinking about going sometime in May. Any help is appreciated.

May is not the best month to photo rams but ewes should not be a problem along the mainstem of the Salmon River (Idaho). North Fork, Id. downstream would be prime areas. North there on Hwy 93 heading into Montana is another good spot like around Sula, Mt.

Dubois Wyoming. Whiskey Mountian has one of the highest concentration of bighorn found in the Nation.

hike into glaicier park or even drop into yellowstone high country.

THE NORTH FORK HUNTER

South Fork Shoshone river out of Cody Wyoming.
Go in late October or early November.
The sheep are rutting and nearly domestic.
Go to the trailhead into the Washakie Wilderness.
I took some good photos of rams many years ago there.
HH

Wow, May is a tough time for sure... Most the good rams are pushing the snowline heading up and away...
If it was November, I'd have many spots for you to go!
You may be able to catch the Sullivan lake rams before they climb too high in NE Washington...
Actually, a spot I just remembered is in Central Washington near Ellensburg and Yakima...you can get on those rams all year round..easy country, easy access.
Let me know if you are interested. Desert/foothills type country.
Ernie

Yakima River canyon would be easy to find a bunch of sheep. You can see good rams all year. If you ask the local fishing guides they can usually point you in the right direction
AKCAT

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom