Where are your Best Places & Why

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Where are your Best Places & Why?

After 42 of work I plan to retire next July 1st. I'd like to get a 10 year itinerary in place so I can get started July 2nd.

I still have wonder lust that hasn't burnt out yet. I live in a great place but I've been to a lot of great places and I want to visit a lot more. I'll be hitting the road as often as my little wife will let me, hopefully with her. I'll be pulling a 5th wheel and 16 foot fishing boat.

I can't get enough of hunting of every kind and fishing for anything that lives in the water, I love geography, history, museums and I've hardly every met a human, a horse or a dog I didn't like. (However, bad behavior make me nuts,)

I'd love to see and experience every corner of North America.

What are your favorite places and why, I'd like to see and experience what you've seen and experienced.

DC

Where are your Best Places & Why?

After 42 of work I plan to retire next July 1st. I'd like to get a 10 year itinerary in place so I can get started July 2nd.

I still have wonder lust that hasn't burnt out yet. I live in a great place but I've been to a lot of great places and I want to visit a lot more. I'll be hitting the road as often as my little wife will let me, hopefully with her. I'll be pulling a 5th wheel and 16 foot fishing boat.

I can't get enough of hunting of every kind and fishing for anything that lives in the water, I love geography, history, museums and I've hardly every met a human, a horse or a dog I didn't like. (However, bad behavior make me nuts,)

I'd love to see and experience every corner of North America.

What are your favorite places and why, I'd like to see and experience what you've seen and experienced.

DC

Ontario Canada. Incredible fishing. Although we are not near retirement we have a plan similar to yours. We want to travel Canada, coast to coast, and fish and sight see our way across. For over ten years we summered in Ontario and don't recall a bad day fishing. Then when we are done fishing Canada we want to travel and live in Alaska for a summer season. Now for the winter months we are still up in the air.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Ontario Canada. Incredible fishing. Although we are not near retirement we have a plan similar to yours. We want to travel Canada, coast to coast, and fish and sight see our way across. For over ten years we summered in Ontario and don't recall a bad day fishing. Then when we are done fishing Canada we want to travel and live in Alaska for a summer season. Now for the winter months we are still up in the air.

up anyway."

I have 3 places:

1) San Juan, Elk Ridge (last time my father and I camped together)
2) Durango (dream home)
3) Big Bear Lake (family outings)

Eldorado

I have 3 places:

1) San Juan, Elk Ridge (last time my father and I camped together)
2) Durango (dream home)
3) Big Bear Lake (family outings)

Eldorado

I'm not tell ya, because the place will be all filled up by the time I retire and the real estate prices will be like out of sight.I think Poland will be a nice place by then. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I'm not tell ya, because the place will be all filled up by the time I retire and the real estate prices will be like out of sight.I think Poland will be a nice place by then. LOL

When we retire we plan to spend a summer in Alaska.

Two of my favorite places in Coloardo are the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (especially from inside the canyon) and The Great Sand Dunes NP.

When we retire we plan to spend a summer in Alaska.

Two of my favorite places in Coloardo are the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (especially from inside the canyon) and The Great Sand Dunes NP.

This spot here ranks pretty high. Austin built a fort for whatever reasons boys build forts. We had just fostered the boy in the picture, whom we later adopted. This was his first trip to the mountains. He got to see elk, deer, roll some fresh elk turds in his hand (and compare them to old turds), see wolf tracks, a fresh wolf kill on an elk. He also learned one of life's most important lessons...why you pee downhill.

Austinandcamp.jpg

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

This spot here ranks pretty high. Austin built a fort for whatever reasons boys build forts. We had just fostered the boy in the picture, whom we later adopted. This was his first trip to the mountains. He got to see elk, deer, roll some fresh elk turds in his hand (and compare them to old turds), see wolf tracks, a fresh wolf kill on an elk. He also learned one of life's most important lessons...why you pee downhill.

Austinandcamp.jpg

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

tx_packmule- I grew up 160 miles from Banff, got to agree, it's a place everyone should see, then on up to Jasper, spectacular highway vistas.

Missed see the LA swamps when I visited New Orleans, see want to see those. Where in LA would you recommend?

tailchasers-were specifically in Ontario would you send me to fish. Never been to eastern Canada, want to see Ont. Quebec, and the Maritimes at least once. Thanks for the tip on Ont. to fish, I believe I'll give it a go.

eldorado-My homemoon was spent in Big Bear, my wife was raised in San Bernardino, Great place. Visited Durango many times, gone on up to Silverton and Telluride, beautiful country, a little high classed for the likes of me but that don't take much. Crossing the Bear's Ears ridge on the San Juan is natural phenomena like you can never imagine unless you've been there, How one side can be so stark and the other side so lush, 10 feet apart is truly amazing. A must see. Sounds like we've travel many of the same trails.

Gater-you of all people! I was really counting on you. I've been watching and your well travelled, so give it up, I need the good stuff that your holding back.

BeanMan-tell me more about Black Canyon and the Dunes, not familiar with either.

feddoc-wolf tracks and fresh wolf kill on an elk, sounds interesting but you got to give up the coordinates bud!

Here some of what I have planned so far:
Carlsbag Caverns, NM
Fish for tarpon out of Tampa Bay and the Ever Glades on a airboat.
Coastal Redwoods, North Calif. and the Pacific Coast Highway
Smithers, British Columba and then north toward the Yukon and into the back country by jetboat.
Drive the highway from Salt Lake City to Homer Alaska then back up to Fairbanks.
Drive the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean in the Yukon.
Pan for gold on the beaches at Nome, AK
Spend a summer in or near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, boating the many lakes of the Idaho Panhandle.
Visit the gold rush town of Dawson City, Yukon Territory on the Klondike River
Shoot pheasant in the Dakotas,
Take the train to Churchill, Manitoba to watch the polar bears stage for their annual winter seal hunt on Hudson Bay.
Shoot ducks and geese in northern Alberta
Hunt whitetail deer in Kansas
Shot antelope in Wyoming
Fish for brook trout in northern Quebec
Visit Deadwood, Colorado
Take the train from Ogden Utah to Sacramento, Calif so I can see the route through the Sierra Nevadas
Fish for steelhead on the Kispiox River system in British Columbia
Learn how to catch lake trout on Flaming Gorge Res. in north east Utah
Visit Chaco Culture National Historical Park
See Death Valley in the winter
Tour north central Saskatchewan's lakes and parklands
Hunt bear in Alaska
Visit Branson, Missouri and the Ozarks in Missouri/Arkansas

So.............give me some help folks, there's a ton more great places, lets hear'em.

DC

tx_packmule- I grew up 160 miles from Banff, got to agree, it's a place everyone should see, then on up to Jasper, spectacular highway vistas.

Missed see the LA swamps when I visited New Orleans, see want to see those. Where in LA would you recommend?

tailchasers-were specifically in Ontario would you send me to fish. Never been to eastern Canada, want to see Ont. Quebec, and the Maritimes at least once. Thanks for the tip on Ont. to fish, I believe I'll give it a go.

eldorado-My homemoon was spent in Big Bear, my wife was raised in San Bernardino, Great place. Visited Durango many times, gone on up to Silverton and Telluride, beautiful country, a little high classed for the likes of me but that don't take much. Crossing the Bear's Ears ridge on the San Juan is natural phenomena like you can never imagine unless you've been there, How one side can be so stark and the other side so lush, 10 feet apart is truly amazing. A must see. Sounds like we've travel many of the same trails.

Gater-you of all people! I was really counting on you. I've been watching and your well travelled, so give it up, I need the good stuff that your holding back.

BeanMan-tell me more about Black Canyon and the Dunes, not familiar with either.

feddoc-wolf tracks and fresh wolf kill on an elk, sounds interesting but you got to give up the coordinates bud!

Here some of what I have planned so far:
Carlsbag Caverns, NM
Fish for tarpon out of Tampa Bay and the Ever Glades on a airboat.
Coastal Redwoods, North Calif. and the Pacific Coast Highway
Smithers, British Columba and then north toward the Yukon and into the back country by jetboat.
Drive the highway from Salt Lake City to Homer Alaska then back up to Fairbanks.
Drive the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean in the Yukon.
Pan for gold on the beaches at Nome, AK
Spend a summer in or near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, boating the many lakes of the Idaho Panhandle.
Visit the gold rush town of Dawson City, Yukon Territory on the Klondike River
Shoot pheasant in the Dakotas,
Take the train to Churchill, Manitoba to watch the polar bears stage for their annual winter seal hunt on Hudson Bay.
Shoot ducks and geese in northern Alberta
Hunt whitetail deer in Kansas
Shot antelope in Wyoming
Fish for brook trout in northern Quebec
Visit Deadwood, Colorado
Take the train from Ogden Utah to Sacramento, Calif so I can see the route through the Sierra Nevadas
Fish for steelhead on the Kispiox River system in British Columbia
Learn how to catch lake trout on Flaming Gorge Res. in north east Utah
Visit Chaco Culture National Historical Park
See Death Valley in the winter
Tour north central Saskatchewan's lakes and parklands
Hunt bear in Alaska
Visit Branson, Missouri and the Ozarks in Missouri/Arkansas

So.............give me some help folks, there's a ton more great places, lets hear'em.

DC

I would like to go back to Maine for a few days.
Went to Jr High back there and have fond memories...

An Alaskan Cruise up the BC coast--

Tahiti---

Robb

I would like to go back to Maine for a few days.
Went to Jr High back there and have fond memories...

An Alaskan Cruise up the BC coast--

Tahiti---

Robb

Hit Hawaii for some fishing and sheep hunting. Just be aware that you may run into a seasonal herd of migritory plicks.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Hit Hawaii for some fishing and sheep hunting. Just be aware that you may run into a seasonal herd of migritory plicks.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Well I can help ya with at least one "hunt pheasants in SD" is a pretty easy thing. If you drive you can cross off two Deadwood and Pheasants.

Well I can help ya with at least one "hunt pheasants in SD" is a pretty easy thing. If you drive you can cross off two Deadwood and Pheasants.

Tsankawi -- an Anasazi indian ruin about 20 miles west of Sante Fe, New Mexico. The Anasazi disappeared from the South West before the white man explored. They had a fairly complex and interlocked civilization, as far as can be determined. There are many sites known including Mesa Verde in SW Colorado, Chaco Canyon in NW New Mexico, and Canyon de Chelly in Arizona. There is also an unimproved site at Tsankawi. Here there was a giant volcanic eruption that took place and left a large amount of tuffa rock that could be easily worked by the indians. They carved many caves into this soft rock where they lived. Their feet wore deep grooves -- 18" deep in some places -- from walking in the same pathways. You can walk freely on this site, climb into the caves, check stuff out without ropes and tour guides around. There are lots of petroglyphs. This site has always impressed me. Administratively, Tsankawi is part of Bandolier National Monument, but it is physically separate from and located miles away from Bandolier.

Reach this site by driving West on New Mexico highway 4. If you reach White Rock, New Mexico, you have gone to far. It is on the left hand of the road when driving West, and the pull-out for parking is easy to miss.

Tsankawi -- an Anasazi indian ruin about 20 miles west of Sante Fe, New Mexico. The Anasazi disappeared from the South West before the white man explored. They had a fairly complex and interlocked civilization, as far as can be determined. There are many sites known including Mesa Verde in SW Colorado, Chaco Canyon in NW New Mexico, and Canyon de Chelly in Arizona. There is also an unimproved site at Tsankawi. Here there was a giant volcanic eruption that took place and left a large amount of tuffa rock that could be easily worked by the indians. They carved many caves into this soft rock where they lived. Their feet wore deep grooves -- 18" deep in some places -- from walking in the same pathways. You can walk freely on this site, climb into the caves, check stuff out without ropes and tour guides around. There are lots of petroglyphs. This site has always impressed me. Administratively, Tsankawi is part of Bandolier National Monument, but it is physically separate from and located miles away from Bandolier.

Reach this site by driving West on New Mexico highway 4. If you reach White Rock, New Mexico, you have gone to far. It is on the left hand of the road when driving West, and the pull-out for parking is easy to miss.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-11 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]Ketchikan, Alaska with your own boat. Late August, fishing the protected waters can easily be done with a boat the size of yours. Just take the ferry to Ketchikan and launch out of the Northern Harbor. You can catch Salmon by trolling. Halibut and other bottom fish jigging off the bottom. We'd rent 14-16' alum. boats with 15hp motors and fish that area for a week.

You could then hit POW for black bear/black-tails if you wanted by simply bumping over to Hollis/Craig and staying a few days. Your kids could fly into Ketchikan and bum a few days free fishing with you.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-11 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]Ketchikan, Alaska with your own boat. Late August, fishing the protected waters can easily be done with a boat the size of yours. Just take the ferry to Ketchikan and launch out of the Northern Harbor. You can catch Salmon by trolling. Halibut and other bottom fish jigging off the bottom. We'd rent 14-16' alum. boats with 15hp motors and fish that area for a week.

You could then hit POW for black bear/black-tails if you wanted by simply bumping over to Hollis/Craig and staying a few days. Your kids could fly into Ketchikan and bum a few days free fishing with you.

larrbo-I've been wondering about Alaskan fishing. I'm not interested in salmon anymore but rainbow/steelhead/searun cutthroats/char I am interested in. What are you fishing for in Moraine Creek and how are you accessing it. Are you at a lodge or independent camping? What time of year are you fishing?

larrbo-I've been wondering about Alaskan fishing. I'm not interested in salmon anymore but rainbow/steelhead/searun cutthroats/char I am interested in. What are you fishing for in Moraine Creek and how are you accessing it. Are you at a lodge or independent camping? What time of year are you fishing?

alsatisn-Excellent, exactly the kind of places I was hope to hear about. I will add that to our list. I have a son living in NM and go there by way of Santa Fe on occasion, I'll make sure we see Tsankawi on the next trip.

Nstive American, modern American or natural geography is all fascinating and worth seeing. The hidden treasure along the bi-ways are what I'm looking for.

Appreciate it.
DC

alsatisn-Excellent, exactly the kind of places I was hope to hear about. I will add that to our list. I have a son living in NM and go there by way of Santa Fe on occasion, I'll make sure we see Tsankawi on the next trip.

Nstive American, modern American or natural geography is all fascinating and worth seeing. The hidden treasure along the bi-ways are what I'm looking for.

Appreciate it.
DC

Hey Gater,
That's more like you and see, it wasn't all that painful to let loose a little. ;-)

Regarding Deadwood SD and pheasant hunting. Are there any "events" in Deadwood that celebrate Deadwood's history that take place during the pheasant hunting season. Maybe a double barreled trip would work.

Can you shoot pheasants for less than $75/$100 a bird in the Dakotas anymore? That wasn't meant to be rhetorical, almost everything I've investigated runs $250/$350 day to hunt, some with, some without lodging.

Of all the hunting I've done in my life, pheasant hunting is are the "King of Sport Hunting". Nothing I've ever done brings me greater enjoyment than shooting wild pheasants. So.........I'd like to do some more "cackle busting" in my retirement as I travel to and from the Best Places. For me, it will be, if it costs a lot, I'll do a little, if it costs a little, I'll do a lot.

DC

Hey Gater,
That's more like you and see, it wasn't all that painful to let loose a little. ;-)

Regarding Deadwood SD and pheasant hunting. Are there any "events" in Deadwood that celebrate Deadwood's history that take place during the pheasant hunting season. Maybe a double barreled trip would work.

Can you shoot pheasants for less than $75/$100 a bird in the Dakotas anymore? That wasn't meant to be rhetorical, almost everything I've investigated runs $250/$350 day to hunt, some with, some without lodging.

Of all the hunting I've done in my life, pheasant hunting is are the "King of Sport Hunting". Nothing I've ever done brings me greater enjoyment than shooting wild pheasants. So.........I'd like to do some more "cackle busting" in my retirement as I travel to and from the Best Places. For me, it will be, if it costs a lot, I'll do a little, if it costs a little, I'll do a lot.

DC

Packout-we've looked at that over the years. When are you going again, maybe I'll just invite myself along. "One condition, we leave Utah mule deer in Utah"! We'll have a much better trip and you won't be chaining a boat anchor to my boot.

DC

Packout-we've looked at that over the years. When are you going again, maybe I'll just invite myself along. "One condition, we leave Utah mule deer in Utah"! We'll have a much better trip and you won't be chaining a boat anchor to my boot.

DC

zeker- your right, I screwed up, again, one Deadwood's enough and it's in So. Dakota. Drove right by it going through Sturgis a few years ago. Good thing you reminded me, I'd have had a great time wandering around Colorado for a week looking for it. That's what's great about MMer, they'll set you straight, in a hurry!

Tks
DC

zeker- your right, I screwed up, again, one Deadwood's enough and it's in So. Dakota. Drove right by it going through Sturgis a few years ago. Good thing you reminded me, I'd have had a great time wandering around Colorado for a week looking for it. That's what's great about MMer, they'll set you straight, in a hurry!

Tks
DC

1911-I've read stories about the bill fishing Hawaii. Is it viable?

What time of year?
What should I expect to pay a charter?
Do you know a charter that you would recommend?
What are the odds of hooking a marlin if you took, say three days, to try?

Thanks
DC

1911-I've read stories about the bill fishing Hawaii. Is it viable?

What time of year?
What should I expect to pay a charter?
Do you know a charter that you would recommend?
What are the odds of hooking a marlin if you took, say three days, to try?

Thanks
DC

We have found the Patricia Region in NW Ontario to be the best fishing to date. Walleye, smallmouth, pike, musky, and perch primarily. Plenty of affordable campgrounds and boat ramps with plenty of places for you to pull your camper and boat into and sit a spell while fishing a different lake every day of the week for the entire summer. Another option to the camp grounds is most resorts have camper hook ups and boat ramps available for a reasonable price as well. If you are a "handy man" of some sort or willing to run a weed eater, mower, hammer, saw, or paint brush you just might find an even better deal as horse trading like this is common practice.

I had an offer made to me where I would take 2-4 people out fishing 3-4 times a week for 8 hours in my boat and the resort owners would give me free lodging for the duration of our stay and I would get to keep all associated fees. They just wanted someone there to provide this service. Would have added up to about $500 per day. We are hoping to keep this in our back pocket for when our retirement comes and offset some of our expenses.

If ya want more detailed info with specifics shot me a PM or even a phone call would be good.

up anyway."

We have found the Patricia Region in NW Ontario to be the best fishing to date. Walleye, smallmouth, pike, musky, and perch primarily. Plenty of affordable campgrounds and boat ramps with plenty of places for you to pull your camper and boat into and sit a spell while fishing a different lake every day of the week for the entire summer. Another option to the camp grounds is most resorts have camper hook ups and boat ramps available for a reasonable price as well. If you are a "handy man" of some sort or willing to run a weed eater, mower, hammer, saw, or paint brush you just might find an even better deal as horse trading like this is common practice.

I had an offer made to me where I would take 2-4 people out fishing 3-4 times a week for 8 hours in my boat and the resort owners would give me free lodging for the duration of our stay and I would get to keep all associated fees. They just wanted someone there to provide this service. Would have added up to about $500 per day. We are hoping to keep this in our back pocket for when our retirement comes and offset some of our expenses.

If ya want more detailed info with specifics shot me a PM or even a phone call would be good.

up anyway."

Bellingham Washington. Has everything within a days drive and awesome weather year round.

Bellingham Washington. Has everything within a days drive and awesome weather year round.

Don't limit yourself to the U.S.. After I got a little comfortable with Africa on several safaris. I rented a car drove through all of Namibia, and South Africa. Great and virtually everyone speaks English.
Five years when I retire I'm hoping to travel some more in Africa as well as North America and South America. Mexico scares me so that's a no unless things change in the next 5 which I doubt. Have fun and best of luck.

Don't limit yourself to the U.S.. After I got a little comfortable with Africa on several safaris. I rented a car drove through all of Namibia, and South Africa. Great and virtually everyone speaks English.
Five years when I retire I'm hoping to travel some more in Africa as well as North America and South America. Mexico scares me so that's a no unless things change in the next 5 which I doubt. Have fun and best of luck.

Husker??? Where you been man? Good to hear from you. One of the few I listen to.

Slick
"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Husker??? Where you been man? Good to hear from you. One of the few I listen to.

Slick
"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Cornhusker-I'd like to see some of the world beyond No. America, Africa is one but there are so many great places that I've seen in N. A. and so many more that I have yet to see I just can't get much traction to head over seas.

My wife wants to see the Amazon, I'd like to see Polynesia (Tahiti/Fiji/Samoa etc.) and southern New Zealand, and drive through Europe just once. Also, a trip into the Mediterranean to the early civilization relics would interesting. Maybe we'll make some of them but I really expect to spend more time in N.A.

Your right, Mexico is out for now. Did the Mayan ruins stuff 20 years ago, it was great but I'm not interested in getting tangled up in that mess right now. Same with the MiddleEast/Egypt, not for me, under current conditions.

Ww won't make the whole list but we're going to see what we can, as long as the fire burns.

DC

Cornhusker-I'd like to see some of the world beyond No. America, Africa is one but there are so many great places that I've seen in N. A. and so many more that I have yet to see I just can't get much traction to head over seas.

My wife wants to see the Amazon, I'd like to see Polynesia (Tahiti/Fiji/Samoa etc.) and southern New Zealand, and drive through Europe just once. Also, a trip into the Mediterranean to the early civilization relics would interesting. Maybe we'll make some of them but I really expect to spend more time in N.A.

Your right, Mexico is out for now. Did the Mayan ruins stuff 20 years ago, it was great but I'm not interested in getting tangled up in that mess right now. Same with the MiddleEast/Egypt, not for me, under current conditions.

Ww won't make the whole list but we're going to see what we can, as long as the fire burns.

DC

2Lumpy I like your list , and several of your ideas sparked my interest . I'll have to check in to the train ride idea .

I'll add my 2 cents . Union Falls in Yellowstone is one of my favorite places . For that matter any of the longer trails in Yellowstone where you can take the horses and get away from people .

Union falls is actually the second highest waterfall in the park . Its a 16 mile round trip easy ride . After a visit to the falls there is a really cool hot spring that flows in the river , and its great for a soak . Go on a weekday when the crowds and the boyscouts are not around .

2Lumpy I like your list , and several of your ideas sparked my interest . I'll have to check in to the train ride idea .

I'll add my 2 cents . Union Falls in Yellowstone is one of my favorite places . For that matter any of the longer trails in Yellowstone where you can take the horses and get away from people .

Union falls is actually the second highest waterfall in the park . Its a 16 mile round trip easy ride . After a visit to the falls there is a really cool hot spring that flows in the river , and its great for a soak . Go on a weekday when the crowds and the boyscouts are not around .

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]At 28, i moved to a place that was always very special to me. Lots of open lands here, great places to fish and hunt, yet there is one place among all the great ones that is not only a cornucopia of all that's beautiful in the outdoors, it is flat out spiritual as well.

A good sized creek flows thru town here and meanders down and thru the alders and cottonwoods until it reaches the shallows of Lake Almanor. At this point, you can wade out along the stream bed, it's shallow, for two or three hundred yds, careful not to step off in the bed itself as the edge is straight off, the water is clear and deep, plus the current is still fairly swift and strong. Big trout live along those drop-offs and on a good evening you will not only get hooked up with a great trout or two, you will have the place to yourself with ducks and geese trying to land nearby unconcerned with your presence, see hawks and eagles out on their cruise but generally being content with showing themselves to you, their belly's already long full.

And maybe, maybe you may even have a few words with the spirits of long ago that choose to remain there. I have been spoken to out there while taking in all what there was to enjoy. It's not my spot. It's many peoples spot. I saw the old guys out there when i was young. They were there every day of the trout season until they were no more. Maybe it's them of long ago that are doing the talking, those old guys with their slouch hats, limber but true rods, and patched up rubber hip boots. Whoever it is looking over that one place in this world that i covet over all others, i hope that one day maybe i too will be one of them, tell a young man that likes the outdoors, likes to fish and be among nature's grace, tell him to take his time as there is no need to hurry.

I was about 14 yrs. old and out by myself fishing that cut bank when i was spoken to for the first time, "take your time young man and enjoy what is here to be had around as you will, one day, live here among us!"

"No Way", i responded. "I live in Livermore on a neat ranch and i only get to come here with my parents on Vacation!"

"Yes you will son" the spirit said, "You will one day live here"

I argued with myself, or was it the spirit of someone, i wasn't sure but looking around, there certainly was no one else there. I knew that it was kind of creepy at the time as before that, no voices had ever been heard by my ears. "You will son, you will one day live here!"

"well, I'll be dammed" i answered to...myself, Maybe i will...

True Story!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]At 28, i moved to a place that was always very special to me. Lots of open lands here, great places to fish and hunt, yet there is one place among all the great ones that is not only a cornucopia of all that's beautiful in the outdoors, it is flat out spiritual as well.

A good sized creek flows thru town here and meanders down and thru the alders and cottonwoods until it reaches the shallows of Lake Almanor. At this point, you can wade out along the stream bed, it's shallow, for two or three hundred yds, careful not to step off in the bed itself as the edge is straight off, the water is clear and deep, plus the current is still fairly swift and strong. Big trout live along those drop-offs and on a good evening you will not only get hooked up with a great trout or two, you will have the place to yourself with ducks and geese trying to land nearby unconcerned with your presence, see hawks and eagles out on their cruise but generally being content with showing themselves to you, their belly's already long full.

And maybe, maybe you may even have a few words with the spirits of long ago that choose to remain there. I have been spoken to out there while taking in all what there was to enjoy. It's not my spot. It's many peoples spot. I saw the old guys out there when i was young. They were there every day of the trout season until they were no more. Maybe it's them of long ago that are doing the talking, those old guys with their slouch hats, limber but true rods, and patched up rubber hip boots. Whoever it is looking over that one place in this world that i covet over all others, i hope that one day maybe i too will be one of them, tell a young man that likes the outdoors, likes to fish and be among nature's grace, tell him to take his time as there is no need to hurry.

I was about 14 yrs. old and out by myself fishing that cut bank when i was spoken to for the first time, "take your time young man and enjoy what is here to be had around as you will, one day, live here among us!"

"No Way", i responded. "I live in Livermore on a neat ranch and i only get to come here with my parents on Vacation!"

"Yes you will son" the spirit said, "You will one day live here"

I argued with myself, or was it the spirit of someone, i wasn't sure but looking around, there certainly was no one else there. I knew that it was kind of creepy at the time as before that, no voices had ever been heard by my ears. "You will son, you will one day live here!"

"well, I'll be dammed" i answered to...myself, Maybe i will...

True Story!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]foundation-the train ride is cheap. An easy long weekend trip over and back. I can feel that one coming right away. Most likely won't wait until I retire to check that one off.

I been to Yellowstone many times, great place. Never been to the Union falls, never heard of it, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give it a look. 16 miles would mean a horse for me cause walking that far wouldn't be in my best interest. Do they have horse rents up that way.(can't believe I'd ever consider a "horse rental in a national park" but age will do that to you, I guess)

sage-I Google Earthed Lake Almanor a few years back, when I first started to read your posts and I've been intrigued every since. True is, I've spent a fair amount of time in Southern Calif. in the last 40 years, married a beautiful girl from there in 71. I've heard so many things about how different Northern Calif is but never even driven through anything north of Sacramento.

From what I can see there are a ton of creeks that flow into Lake Almanor so your Best Place is still safe from being over run. Maybe I'll need to find me an old slouch hat and a pair of old rubber waders with red tire patches and show up on your door step one day. After breakfast, maybe you can guide me through those trout pools. It would be a privilege and a pleasure to share those spirits with you.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]foundation-the train ride is cheap. An easy long weekend trip over and back. I can feel that one coming right away. Most likely won't wait until I retire to check that one off.

I been to Yellowstone many times, great place. Never been to the Union falls, never heard of it, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give it a look. 16 miles would mean a horse for me cause walking that far wouldn't be in my best interest. Do they have horse rents up that way.(can't believe I'd ever consider a "horse rental in a national park" but age will do that to you, I guess)

sage-I Google Earthed Lake Almanor a few years back, when I first started to read your posts and I've been intrigued every since. True is, I've spent a fair amount of time in Southern Calif. in the last 40 years, married a beautiful girl from there in 71. I've heard so many things about how different Northern Calif is but never even driven through anything north of Sacramento.

From what I can see there are a ton of creeks that flow into Lake Almanor so your Best Place is still safe from being over run. Maybe I'll need to find me an old slouch hat and a pair of old rubber waders with red tire patches and show up on your door step one day. After breakfast, maybe you can guide me through those trout pools. It would be a privilege and a pleasure to share those spirits with you.

DC

DC,

You mentioned that you would like to drive across Europe one time and since you enjoy geography, history and museums I will share some of our favorites in Italy.

Rome - You could spend a week and barely scratch the surface as that city is so rich in history, countless museums and churches, The Vatican, piazza's throughout the city, not to mention all of the must sees (The Roman Forum, The Colosseum, Villa Borghese, Treve Fountain, The Pantheon, The Spanish Steps, and some of the most incredible food I have ever had.

My favorite days were spent leaving the hotel in the morning and walking around ancient Rome all day until late at night.
We had thought about renting a car and I am glad we didn't as there is so much public transportation available and parking in Rome is almost nonexistent. A subway that will take you anywhere you want to go in the city, taxi's, and double decker tour buses are good to get a idea of where things are in the city. We got a map from the hotel and walked almost everywhere we wanted to go.

We also spent some time around Naples and again there is so much to see and do. I really enjoyed walking around the ruins of Pompeii and then we went further south to Sorrento which has the most beautiful coastline I have ever seen. We went further south down the Amalfi coast and it's hard to imagine anywhere that's prettier the little cities along the coast.. Ravello, Atrani, Amalfi, Positano and the island of Capri is a short boat ride from Sorrento.

I wish I had the time and money to spend a month or two and be able to take a road trip around France, Spain, Portugal and the northern part of Italy. It's like some of my friends that have hunted in Africa have told me, once you go you can't wait to return and do it again.

Jim

DC,

You mentioned that you would like to drive across Europe one time and since you enjoy geography, history and museums I will share some of our favorites in Italy.

Rome - You could spend a week and barely scratch the surface as that city is so rich in history, countless museums and churches, The Vatican, piazza's throughout the city, not to mention all of the must sees (The Roman Forum, The Colosseum, Villa Borghese, Treve Fountain, The Pantheon, The Spanish Steps, and some of the most incredible food I have ever had.

My favorite days were spent leaving the hotel in the morning and walking around ancient Rome all day until late at night.
We had thought about renting a car and I am glad we didn't as there is so much public transportation available and parking in Rome is almost nonexistent. A subway that will take you anywhere you want to go in the city, taxi's, and double decker tour buses are good to get a idea of where things are in the city. We got a map from the hotel and walked almost everywhere we wanted to go.

We also spent some time around Naples and again there is so much to see and do. I really enjoyed walking around the ruins of Pompeii and then we went further south to Sorrento which has the most beautiful coastline I have ever seen. We went further south down the Amalfi coast and it's hard to imagine anywhere that's prettier the little cities along the coast.. Ravello, Atrani, Amalfi, Positano and the island of Capri is a short boat ride from Sorrento.

I wish I had the time and money to spend a month or two and be able to take a road trip around France, Spain, Portugal and the northern part of Italy. It's like some of my friends that have hunted in Africa have told me, once you go you can't wait to return and do it again.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 03:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 03:07?PM (MST)

?In a land the Spanish once had called the Northern Mystery,
Where rivers run and disappear the mustang still is free.
By the Devil's wash and coyote hole in the wild Owyhee Range
Somewhere in the sage tonight the wind calls out - 'Nevada Badger, my' - name.?

edit - p.s. I hate feral horses!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 03:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-11 AT 03:07?PM (MST)

?In a land the Spanish once had called the Northern Mystery,
Where rivers run and disappear the mustang still is free.
By the Devil's wash and coyote hole in the wild Owyhee Range
Somewhere in the sage tonight the wind calls out - 'Nevada Badger, my' - name.?

edit - p.s. I hate feral horses!!!!!!!

2lumpy you have sparked my interest in the train for sure . Its allways been on my bucket list , and when you mention cheap I'm all over it . I will be checking it out very quick .

I thought I knew Yellowstone pretty well myself until I took the horses in there , and a whole new view and respect for it was shown to me .

Union Falls is closer to the South entrance , and the actuall trailhead is just like a 1/4 mile from the park boundary . So you start riding in the Forest service and then cross over the boundary and miss any formalaties of dealing with any body . You can camp around that area in the national forest . If you go through any of the park entrances with horses there are a few hoopes you have to jump through , but its not bad .

There was a outfit that adveristed on here , Wolfley horse rentals that would be worth checking out . I beleive they sold out to Yellowstone horse rentals . I know guys that rented from Wolfley's and got the whole shootin match , horses , saddles , trailer and you would be all set . From what I heard it was pretty resonable priced also , and they will deleiver so you could meet them around the south entrance .

There is also tons of good riding in the park and country that most people will never see if they are doing the tourist thing . Any of the trails that are a little longer like over 5 miles have very few people on them . One trail that comes to mind is the lake mary trail . Its a 30 mile round trip ride that is easy enough to do in a day , and we never saw another person , just lots of critters .

Any way just some thing to think about .

2lumpy you have sparked my interest in the train for sure . Its allways been on my bucket list , and when you mention cheap I'm all over it . I will be checking it out very quick .

I thought I knew Yellowstone pretty well myself until I took the horses in there , and a whole new view and respect for it was shown to me .

Union Falls is closer to the South entrance , and the actuall trailhead is just like a 1/4 mile from the park boundary . So you start riding in the Forest service and then cross over the boundary and miss any formalaties of dealing with any body . You can camp around that area in the national forest . If you go through any of the park entrances with horses there are a few hoopes you have to jump through , but its not bad .

There was a outfit that adveristed on here , Wolfley horse rentals that would be worth checking out . I beleive they sold out to Yellowstone horse rentals . I know guys that rented from Wolfley's and got the whole shootin match , horses , saddles , trailer and you would be all set . From what I heard it was pretty resonable priced also , and they will deleiver so you could meet them around the south entrance .

There is also tons of good riding in the park and country that most people will never see if they are doing the tourist thing . Any of the trails that are a little longer like over 5 miles have very few people on them . One trail that comes to mind is the lake mary trail . Its a 30 mile round trip ride that is easy enough to do in a day , and we never saw another person , just lots of critters .

Any way just some thing to think about .

lumpy, come on out to Kansas for your whitetail hunt and I will show you exactly where my favorite spot is.

lumpy, come on out to Kansas for your whitetail hunt and I will show you exactly where my favorite spot is.

Lets do it this way GT, you draw or buy a Utah limited entry elk tag on Monroe, Fish Lake, Pahvant, or Boulder Mt in Utah and I'll show you your "new favorite place". After I've earned the privilege, then you can blindfold me and I'll use up those 7 Kansas points that are burning a hole in my pocket. Deal?

DC

Lets do it this way GT, you draw or buy a Utah limited entry elk tag on Monroe, Fish Lake, Pahvant, or Boulder Mt in Utah and I'll show you your "new favorite place". After I've earned the privilege, then you can blindfold me and I'll use up those 7 Kansas points that are burning a hole in my pocket. Deal?

DC

foundation-I tried to call Chad Madsen at Yellowstone Horse Rentals this evening, he was out but his wife will have him call back, as soon as he does I'll post up the details of his Yellowstone horse business. Thanks again.

DC

foundation-I tried to call Chad Madsen at Yellowstone Horse Rentals this evening, he was out but his wife will have him call back, as soon as he does I'll post up the details of his Yellowstone horse business. Thanks again.

DC

2 favorite spots are any where my boat will float (and has fish of course) and any place I can hunt.
As long as I can satisfy those two things I will be happy.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

2 favorite spots are any where my boat will float (and has fish of course) and any place I can hunt.
As long as I can satisfy those two things I will be happy.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

The Oregon coast DC. IMO one of the most beautiful drives there is. Great campgrounds and all kinds of things to do.

It's always an adventure!!!

The Oregon coast DC. IMO one of the most beautiful drives there is. Great campgrounds and all kinds of things to do.

It's always an adventure!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom