What's the purpose?

Deerlove

Long Time Member
Why does ID make you pay for your deer tag by 8-1 when the unit I put if for is unlimited, but a controled hunt?

Believe it or not, lots of people do not ever pick up their controlled hunt tags. Couple of reasons why, One they forget, Two the decide that they don't want the tag. Idaho used to do nothing with the left over tags. Then, they decided to sell them fist come first serve... That was a fiasco that shut down the computers, I am not sure but it might have knocked the earth off its rotation a bit as well... Next, they decided to have a "second" left over tag drawing to keep it fair and somewhat managable (also make a bit of $$). The deal with Aug 1 deadline is because some controlled hunts start early in Sept or late Aug. So, they need some time to figure out which tags are not picked up, then put a drawing together, then figure out who drew and notify them all before the early seasons start. There is actually a 3rd "drawing" after that to sell any remaining tags first come first serve.

got it?

The unlimited controlled hunts (unit 73) are not available in the 2nd drawing or the OTC period, so I see your point.

I guess they need everybody to abide by the same rules. Imagine if different people had different dates to pay for their tags...IDFG couldn't handle it.

Grizzly

Gizz my pt exactly, my boy drew a 75 elk tag with Oct 1 to 15th dates, the deer tag would start on the 10th but I would like to wait and buy the deer tag at the last min but I cant. Oh well.

Deerlove, congrats to your son on the elk tag. I haven't been lucky enough to draw that unit.

I saw three big bulls in that unit last fall while deer hunting, if you need some ideas on places to look I would be happy to share what I've seen. Let me know.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom