What's the best/worst thing to happen on the road?

feddoc

Long Time Member
This was both for me.

Summer of 73, I was 17 and heading from Bozeman back to Colorado to join the Navy. I had everything I owned in my 64 jeep pickup. Stopped in Powell, WY to see my aunt and uncle. He used to work for Frome and Hyde outfitters from Afton. She loaded me up with fried chicken and mashed potatoes for the trip to Southern Colorado.

A few miles outside of Cody, near Meeteetsee, the water pump went out. Oh well, I figured some folks would be along soon to help out. (36 hours later someone helped me). Anyway, there wasn't a car that passed by for about 4 hours. Then a few vehicles came, but nobody stopped. Hmm, I ate some fried chicken and tossed the bones on an ant pile. Then shot the pile with my shotgun. I spent the night in the jeep. I had already drank my sodas and had nothing left to wet my whistle except for s bottle of Scope mouthwash...to this day, I will not allow that stuff in my house.

The next day about 11 I decided to take a short hike and see if I could scare up a rabbit and I had to TCB in the bushes. As I was cleaning up, I noticed a vehicle stop...wooopeeee, I was saved. Until I saw them going through my stuff. Azzzzholes. I stepped out of the bushes with my shotgun and they left. (that was my first use of a gun to defend myself) Crap, how much longer?

Within the next few hours several people stopped. The first was a guy delivering drill bits to oil rigs for Hughes Tool. He told me that he had a few stops to make and that if I was still there when he came back, he would help fix my jeep. Then a Highway Patrol officer stopped, I told him about the salesman and he went on his way after leaving me with some water. Good guy. Then a guy driving a big rig stopped by and offered to tow me to Craig, CO. I politely declined, saying that the Hughes Tool guy would be along. A couple other folks stopped as well, with the same results.

Sure enough, a couple hours later, the Hughes Tool guy came back, as promised. He towed my jeep to Cody and we stopped at a Jeep dealership. No luck, they didn't have a water pump, so off we went to whatever parts stores were in town. On the way out the door, the parts guy said he did have one. I bought it and off we headed to a diner for some lunch. I offered to pay the guy some gas money, but, he would only accept lunch.

We drove back to the jeep, he helped put it in, gave me some more water for the radiator and off he went with my thanks.

I drove in to Meeteetsee to get some Prestone and, uh-oh, they had a sign that said no checks. I told them of my predicament and they said ok.

Except for the jerks who were gonna steal my stuff, I met some very nice folks.

Several years ago, I tried to contact Hughes Tool in an effort to locate the guy with no luck.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

All I had with me was an 8 track tape player hooked to a spare battery. I had three tapes; Johnny Rodriguez, Charley Pride and Connie Smith. Old huh, I'll have to remember that. ":)

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom