what's the best lightweight tripod...

B

bucktaxi

Just wanting opinions on the best lightweight tripod and head combo. I want to pan and not worried about price. It has to hold at least 4lbs and go at least 60" tall.

I can't speak for all of the others that would meet your needs but I can say you would not be disappointed with the Outdoorsman's tripod. They come in a few different sizes to meet your needs and they are light and strong. There are a couple of threads on MM about tripods so you will find what you need with a word search

http://outdoorsmans.com/

BB

If you feel that spending a bundle of money means "the best" then you might want to look at Gitzo. I'm sure they will more than meet your needs as well.
BB

Actually, I'd rather get "the best for the money" type of tripod. I don't really want to spend $600-800 if I can get something close for half that or less. I just want a good quality tripod and head with a total weight of less than 4 lbs that will top out somewhere near 60" tall and still be fairly sturdy. What else is out there that will fit into those parameters??? The outdoorsman medium with the extended center piece is $479 and the Jim White head is another $269. I doubt I'd spend that much, nor do I think I have to. I have no doubt the outdoorsman is the best but I'd love to hear about other options also.

Just a suggestion, but next time you may want to choose your wording a little better. You said money was not an issue but it turns out that is the most important (or close to it) for you. The best cost money, no two ways around that. You just need to determine what you are willing to settle for that is within your price range. Dollar for dollar the Outdoorsman is pretty hard to beat. It costs no where near the Gitzo's but I would rate it just as good if not a little bit better. Gitzo is a little lighter but then you get wind vibration in your optics if too light. I think you can find, cheaper but then quality and stability and weight start to suffer. Good luck with your search
BB

Money is not a consideration in my evaluations. I have tested them all and my choice for a lightweight set up is The Outdoorsmans with The Outdoorsmans Pan Head. The service you get from them is just the gravy on top.

I prefer the medium height model.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

When I originally posed the question I said no worries about money because I wanted information on the best tripods available so I could get a good idea of what the "best" specs are, and a good place to start. I didn't want to scroll through a debate about the "best tripod you can get for $100" or whatever. Sorry if it came out wrong and put everyone off.

I found the feisol and if you look closely at the specs you'll see it is a better choice, at least I know it is for me. The head is rated to carry 17lbs, the height is taller (70") than the medium outdoorsman with a center post (61"), and I like to stand up often when glassing. You can get spikes for the legs on the feisol and it folds up smaller (17") than the outdoorsman (18.5"). It weighs less also (2.2lbs vs 3 lbs), the heads are the same weight at. I personally think it's a great value and will be buying it shortly.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my statement about "no worries about money".

Bucktaxi- seriously consider going with another tripod. I have no expeience with the Feisol but I have concerns just from the pictures. First, the flip-up leg design is innovative but lacks strength. That joint is awefully exposed for one little pin made of alloy. Second, 4 section legs will be less stable, especially in a lightweight carbon fiber. Third, that head design is not meant for the type of glassing we do as western hunters. It is designed for camera use. I think there are better ways to spend your money. You'll buy yourself more reliabilty, more stability, and more effective glassing for a little more weight and slightly more length. Either way let us know how it works for you. JMO CDN

So CDN, are you suggesting the outdoorsman or another tripod? The only outdoorsman I'd consider is the medium, but I want one taller. If I bought the feisol legs which head would you buy?

Thanks for your help everyone, Steve

Cody is working so he won't respond until later but I have a couple of comments on this.

I think your selection criteria are at cross purposes. Hard to have a stand up height tripod that is both solid/stable and lightweight (whatever you determine that to be). That's why I have a couple of set ups including one that allows me to stand comfortably.

If you are not going to stand behind it the medium Outdoorsman and Outdoorsman Pan Head is the best. That set up is quiet, lightweight, sturdy/durable, smooth and steady/stable.

If you insist on the ability to stand up and glass and you are only going to have one set up then I would suggest the Manfrotto 190CXPro3 (carbon fiber) or taller 055CXPro3 as modified by The Outdoorsmans (they remove the Q90 vert/horz collar) with The Outdoorsmans Pan Head. Stable/steady, quiet, smooth and still reasonably lightweight for a full size tripod.

Note that all of the above suggestions use The Outdoorsmans Pan Head. That is because it is that good.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Off today. Bucktaxi- I like the Outdoorsman medium or the Manfrotto as Wade suggested. I also love the Outdoorsman panhead,Jim White, and the Outdoorsman pistol grip heads(in order)before I would consider the Feisol. Good luck with your choice. CDN

Sounds almost unanimous for outdoorsmans panhead. I really want to stand so I guess I'll look at the Manfrotto. One system only for me.

I have been using a pro albinar 6500 tripod for some 20 years, I'm sure it's a cheap, flimsy, plastic tripod, but I can glass standing up, it weighs 3.9 lbs, and I've never tipped it over. I've had leica and swarovski optics on it the whole time. I want to get something better so thanks for your advice.

There are other options.

I built a full size tripod that weighs about 4.5 lbs with a manfrotto 2 way pan head and carbon fiber tripod that goes around 65 inches high for around $220

Its minimum length folded is only around 25 inches so I don't know if the length and weight will work for you.

Check out the Sunpak pro 523 or 623 carbon fiber tripods. They come with nice 3 way pan heads with locking plates. I did not want the 3 way head so I purchased a manfrotto 720 2 way panhead for $84.99 from cameraland. (and had the spare 3 way to boot)

Bought the 623 pro tripod (with head) for $130 new (several sources, big name camera shop on ebay)

I am into the whole deal around $220

Its a nice tripod with carbon fiber legs and center column and it also comes with an extra carbon fiber short center column. Magnesium construction just like the Slik and Manfrotto tripods.

The manfrotto 720 2 way fluid panhead is rated for 5.5 lbs and the tripod for 15 lbs.

My impression of the set up is it is hell for stout and I do not see any weak points or possibilities for problems.

One more thought: If many of you think the Medium Outdoorsmans is the best choice for glassing from a seated position, why not choose the Tall Outdoorsmans for the standing position?

I used the Medium with Pistol Grip and Panning Attachment for years and loved the setup... until I got the Tall with Pan Head. The Tall/Pan combination does everything the Medium/Pistol combination does, only better, plus it has the option of extending to glass from a standing position.

It will easily handle the weight of the Outdoorsmans Dual Mount, which is designed to aim both a spotting scope and binoculars on the same spot so you don't have to switch them out. Yes, the Tall/Pan combination will handle Swarovski 15x56 binos AND the Swarovski 20-60x80mm spotter! That's nearly 8 lbs worth of mounts and optics on top of the Tall Legs and Pan Head, which weigh in at 3.64 lbs. (Please note that I also added the Long Extension (8.6 oz) so I would be comfortable in any standing position...)

If you think the Medium is good, you'll love the Tall, especially with the Pan Head!!

(And with whatever legs you choose, you won't go wrong with the Outdoorsmans Pan Head on top!)

Good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More