What's the best clothing out there right now?

A

a3dhunter

If you had to pick one set of clothing for hunting, from early season to late season.
I know a lot of people are using Sitka. How are they cut, tight or loose? I like my hunting clothing to fit loose for freedom of movement.
I've been using fleece and some wool.
I am looking at buying some good clothing but only want to make one purchase, and don't want to waste my money on something that isn't what it says it is. I would like something waterproof and quiet, something that won't make you overheat when bowhunting in August, but something you can layer up and hunt in the snow.
I have hunted with some guys using Sitka that like it but it looked kind of stiff.

What's your opinion?
Anything else out there?

Well, that may be a good idea.

But I was looking for real world information from hunters not "gear experts", who typically have a know it all attitude from what they have read, rather than from what they have actually used.

man, i really understand your question and i wish i could tell you about the high dollar stuff like sitka but i can't afford it. i use alot of wool and fleece because of the price factor.

Sitka gear might be the best, but it's too rich for my blood, too. I stick to the good old wool. Works well in the highcountry in September, right on through the late season.

>man, i really understand your question
>and i wish i could
>tell you about the high
>dollar stuff like sitka but
>i can't afford it. i
>use alot of wool and
>fleece because of the price
>factor.

Same reason I have stuck with fleece and wool, the fleece does not do so well when wet and I'm tired of having so many different choices to make wondering what I will run into for weather. I would rather have one set of clothing that will handle anything encountered on that hunt.
Something waterproof and quiet, tried rain suede from Cabelas and that didn't work. In the rain the water gets on the inside of the sleeves at the cuffs, then takes forever to dry. It is also pretty heavy.
Also tried the Cabelas Space Rain gear, it does not have a liner in it and while it does good for rain protection it is noisy.

Actually Hardcoreoutdoors in Gear Review does test the items he comments on. That being said I too have a shallow pocket. The Cabela's MTO50 is rated very well and they put it on sale quite often. It was still a little more thanI wanted to spend so I picked up a Jacket from gander Moutain for $79.00. It has the Tech20 fabric. I will hunt in it next weekend but on first look it is very quite and has a removable hood which I was looking for. It does not have pit zips but you can't have everything for that low a price. I do dress in layers with polarted fleece 300 under. I will give a report back after my hunt on my impressions.

Good luck with the search

I have a couple pairs of Sitka Ascent pants and the Core Zip T. They are the finest pieces of hunting clothing ever made IMHO. You can wear them by themselves for early hunts in the sage at 90 deg and then with thin longjohns for snow hunts. Add a jacket and shell both top and bottom and they are good to 15 deg out.

I've been blown away at how well they've performed. The only place they are not good is when sitting when it's cold out.

Cheers,
Pete

Well... being on a frugal less than beer budget when it comes to cammo clothing... I found a pattern that works really well in the area that I hunt... I do alot of sitting as I cannot walk far so I like to stay warm... Kings Desert Shadow Pattern has worked for me for anything that I want to do here in Utah... I would try to get the Sitka gear if I were heading up to Alaska or Canada for a hunting trip though.

You need something so get the bargin Gear and replace it slowly as you can afford it.

Destiny

Sitka is good but as stated expensive. I use apxG2 for bowhunting in august all the way threw to november. Its about 40% less than sitka and if you join sfw they'll give you a 50% off coupon to sportsmans so its relatively fair priced if you go that route. I've got a closet full of all kinds of gear except sitka and the apxG2 is my favorite to use.

I have the Sitka Celcius bibs. They are quiet and warm, seem to fit well. Don't know about longevity as I only used them this year. They advertise as Durable water repellent, Take that with a pound of salt and pack rain gear. Not worth the money IMO.
Better yet, I snagged a team realtree parka off camofire and wish I'd bought the bibs when he had them. It is Gore-Tex, blocks wind, waterproof, very warm and not too bulky or stiff.
Ed

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-09 AT 04:32PM (MST)[p]Starting from the foot up:

Polypro liner, merino wool socks, Mendle boots (400 gr) and some lightweight noninsulated vasque boots.

Longjohns: do not think warmth, think wicking. Many good ones out there now, but I like Capeline from Patagonia. Lightweight for Sept bowhunting in warmer temps and midweight for stop and go in colder weather.

jeans in warmer weather. wool in cooler weather. I never use "fleece" pants as an outside layer as they pick up too many burrs. Long sleeve cotton shirt or Microtex as my second layer up top. Fleece zip up jacket (semi-snug) and a 150-200 gr thisulate coat (Cabelas). I also have a down vest in my pack in case the weather really turns cold or I get stuck out all night.

Polypro glove liners and goretex/thinsulate gloves.

Cabelas dry plus packable raingear. They are fairly quiet and they have ketp me dry for 5 years. They stay in their pouch and in my daypack unless needed.

With the above list, I can dress for any weather and stay warm and dry whether I am sitting or hiking.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I'll comment on your question of the Sitka fit. I have several pieces that I got a couple years ago, and the mountain pants came in even waist sizes. Now, the Ascent pants do not come in even waist sizes, only S,M,L,etc. I tried on the M and L and either looked like Pee Wee Herman or a rodeo clown.

I saw that cabelas had sitka gear on sale so I picked up some 90% pants, with a cabelas $20 off coupon that put them under $100.
I'll try them out before committing to some of the more expensive clothing items from Sitka.

The Russell APX g2 stuff is going to give em all a run for their money. I got a "Gail Force" jacket this fall. I have used Sitka gear, and IMO the APXg2 is the way to go.
48a9c86f4e0036c6.jpg

I like the materials sitka uses. ascent pants handle warm weather real well, 90% pants are great for cold weather and add a pair of silk longjohns for real cold weather.

Their stuff is not made for hard use though.

I have a pair of their bibs, and the little cheap plastic clip for the suspender broke making them useless. Much rather had a button or something that could be fixed.

They will be going back.

the sitka gear is light weight and durable, fits great as well. however it isnt the most quiest garment in the woods and it sucks if you have to or want to sit down for a while. You will freeze.

I think my favorite is wool. Camo pattern dosent really matter. camo is more for hunters eye then games eye. one thing I noticed this year while wearing wool that is great for bowhunters is its ability to not smell. I honestly never had my wool clothes washed or drycleaned. I stood next to fires and hiked my butt off. The clothes simply didnt smell. My tents, sleeping bags and other clothes did!

Dont over look wool

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I too use the Russel APX G2. I have the whole set up and so far love it. I have only used it for one season but wore it from Mid August till the end of November. They have a great layering system and the price is a lot less than Sitka.

I have the sitka accsent pants & the 90 % jacket they are spendy but worth the $$ the camo pattern alone is unreal I called elk in this season under 30 yards & they had no idea I was there...I have been wearing it hunting yotes & so far I have called 3 dogs in under 20 yards & they did not have a clue I was there until my bullet hit them { actually had a dog come into 17 steps & I was sitting in the snow right in front of him }...the accsent pants are great for warmer weather & all I wear under them is a pair of Patgonia long jons they are wind proof & they dry really quick..the 90 % jacket is wind proof also.. their gear does fit a little snug but it does move well with your body..I keep hearing really good things about the Russell outdoor gear the APX line is getting some great reviews..& from what I have heard is alot cheaper that is my only complaint so far with Sitka is the price of their stuff..but I have a friend that got a pair for a story he sent into Eastmans about 5 years ago & he is still wearing the same gear..so it does last & when u take a standard pair of camo pants at 50 bucks a pair & go thru a pair every year it adds up not to mention none of these 50 $ pants are wind or water proof..I would recommend Sitka but I would sure check out the APX stuff 1st..again the camo pattern on the Sitka is worth its weight alone...

I bought some Russel APX G2 from MountainWest above and yes it is way cheaper than Sitka. The seam construction will probably last far longer than sitka who uses pretty much single stitching, I had a pair of ascent pants come apart after 30 days this yr. The russel is double stitched throughout and looks bullet proof. Seats and knees are double layered for us guys that crawl on a stalk or sit a lot glassing, those same ascent pants popped a hole in the seat too, no warranty, I had to pay for the repair and they used a different camo. I look forward to giving the apxg2 a field test this yr and see how it performs.

You guys ever here of Rivers West? I've no experience at all with high dollar clothing. I go with 100% polyester fleece and wool but my hunting partner has this Rivers West stuff and he LOVES IT!! Says you can turn a fire hose on him and he'll stay dry and comfortable yet he'll wear this light weight clothing in warm or very cold conditions. He can afford to get the best and he claims that this stuff is it! I'm just saying...

Joey

I love my River's West too Joey. The only drawback is it does not breathe well but I'm not sure any true waterproof garment does...

Rivers west is awesome if all u are going to do is stand hunt it is 150% water proof but it does not breathe at all..if u plan on hiking or walking u will be soaked from sweat..I ran into some guys from American Archer TV show 3 years ago & they all were wearing RW gear {one of their sponsors} but they all said the same thing u will not get wet unless u start walking or hiking in it & u will get poured on from the inside with sweat...

Guys, I suppose this could all be true, not saying it's not, but i'm not sure how then my pard likes the stuff so much. We grew up hunting together and i can say from experience that there are few, darn few out there that hunt any harder, pack heavier loads of meat and big racks, go anywhere to get er done, guy than he is. The last place you'd find him is in the truck or sitting on a stand.

Maybe he don't sweat! Come to think of it, he does kinda look like Chuck Norris! :) Anyway, this was second hand info so i'll go along and you guys have a good one!!

Joey

I use both the rivers west and sitka. Rivers West is great but the zipper vents dont keep my body cool enough backpacking in. I love that it is waterproof and windproof. Sitka is great if I know there isn't going to be down poor. Slight moisture or quick thunderstorms its on me. The russel clothing is what Im going to try this year. For cost though can't go wrong with wool.

a3dhunter,

I have used wool but have switched to fleece as it is easier to clean after or during the hunt, weights less when wet and the newer fleece is better in my opinion on picking up burrs versus wool. Both are quiet. Cabela's Revolution Fleece with or w/o Dry Plus in insulated or non-insulated. They also have Silent Weave which is good as well. My hunting partner has the Rivers West and likes it. Lots of choices but I'm staying with the Dry Plus in insulated or non-insulated depending on how much walking or how cold it gets.

Jazz

I have a lot of hunting cloths. The rivers west is Great if your not moving. If I have to do any hiking I pack it in, let the sweat dry and put it on. If you sweat with it on you'll be wet ALL day. It's as warm and dry as they say, but it does not breath. I like wool because it works. Synthics I use but when you have them on for a few days the stink. Wool is not as bad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom