What's it worth?

Forthewall

Long Time Member
I recently came into the possesion of a Ruger Blackhawk .45 speed six/service six revolver. It is discontinued, but was made in the early 70's. Blued with wood grip and adjustable sight I doubt it has had more than a dozen rounds through it.

I plan to drop by a gunshop on Monday, but was wondering if anybody might know what the value maybe?

you may find one on gunbroker.com they have some harder to find guns, not sure how close it is to what they are worth but what their current value is at the time. Another site is gunsamerica.com

D13r and Huntfever, thanks you gentlemen for your quick replies I'm going to put it on consignment, It's an interesting gun, but this old-school dual action revolver thing just isn't for me.

Thanks guys!

Are you sure it's a "blackhawk" and a "speed six/service six" at the same time ??

JB

The Ruger speed six was a 38,357 mag. and also 9mm. double action revolver. The single six was a single action revolver in 22 LR and 22Mag.
Ruger made several versions of the single action Blackhawk that had dual cylinders for 45 long colt and 45 ACP. On the discontinued models, for the blue finish they will run from 210-310 bucks for value in very good condition.

RELH

JB, It's still in the original box and if I have identified it correctly according to it's maker, caliber, brand, bore printing, adjustable rear-site, handstock and bore company logo, serial number, photo, and owner's manual.

Ruger in Box with the words Speed Six/Service Six .45 Caliber Revolver printed on the original owners manual.

I checked the serial numbers that started with a 46-52XXX which show it as being produced in the early 70's and is now discontinued. Search queries have yielded only token results and my gun-guy,a local gun dealer of 20 years was ironically murdered during a robbery at his shop last year.

I was figuring around $150.00 give or take so probably after the consignment fees $200.00 sounds good. Then again, I question whether there is a market for such slow-loading, expensive round per bullet uncomfortable gun as this. Scary to think that apparently they were given to Border Patrol agents. I would hate to have that be my only weapon to defend myself with against an armed assailant. In any case with a steady rest I couldn't shot my foot on the soberest of days with a handgun.

I fit soberest in a sentence.....cool!

Thanks RELH!

...By the way I was going to thread into cpeay post on his new partner...something sarcastic like:

I train mine on geese, ducks, doves, pheasants, and quail. But I could understand getting too high and forgetting where you left your stash! Go Hank!

What do you think RELH funny? No? Yes? Appreciated sarcasm? Demented pathetic attempt at humor? Should I just edit it down to 2 non-confrontational words, "Go Hank"?

Being that some of my childhood friends are long time members of law enforcement I wish to avoid at all costs being perceived as a law bashing, unappreciative, ACLU card carrying, welfare collecting, green party voting, illegal alien Drug King Pin liberal from Berkeley...so to speak.:)

I look forward to accepting any and/or all of your input prior to placing or not placing my thread.

Again, my many thanks for the great input on the gun RELH I really do appreciate it!

Forthewall...you did not identify it correctly. Go back and look at your first thread and also RELH's thread. You said, "Ruger Blackhawk .45 speed six/service six revolver." The blackhawk was a single action revolver. The service six is a double action revolver. There is no such thing as a Blackhawk Speed Six. And, they are not even close to being the same thing...except that they are possibly made in the same Ruger factory and you'd read about them on the same page on Wikipedia. ONe is still made, the other stopped production in '88.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Redhawk

Border Patrol Agents were never issued those guns, in .45. For a time, they were issued those guns in .357. Which is very fortunate as the .357 has the habit of disabling people that it hits and making them lay on the ground.

Back in the transition days (when some Agents were allowed to buy their own jam-a-matic or carry an issue revolver)...Agents would go back to the academy for some sort of advanced training. They would have the AGents shoot some sort of stress or ipsc type course. The revolver guys would often, if not always out shoot the auto guys...the revolver guys would shoot 2 shots in the center of the paper targets, and the steel plates would fall down. The auto guys would try shoot fast enough to over come their misses and shoot 2-3 times at the steel targets and have poor hits on the paper. The score is determined by points of the paper target (numerical score) divided by the shooting time...w/all reloads. That revolver can reloaded in under 3 secs, w/speed loaders, and about 5 secs or so w/loops.

The Border Patrol started getting issued .357's SOMETIME after it came about...say in the 40's or 50's. Ruger started making those making the Service Six in '70...long after the switch...hence, never in .45. I had one at the academy, in .357, and I'd rather have carried it than the poj Beretta that replaced it (and the the only reason we had it was in order to have cruise missiles in Italy).

BTW, depending on where you live, your gun is worth $450 (if you live in such communist places as NY, IL, or another anti-gun bastion) to $250 (for the most pro-gun locale on the planet). Even in TX or CO it could grab $350, if you waited. It is easily worth $250 and I'd ask $300 (Western-CO). I'd expect to see in for sale for at least $300 in my area.

What caliber is it in? I assume .45acp and not .45LC. Is it stainless or blued?

$200 is LOW. I may be interested in it, if that is all you want.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-07 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-07 AT 11:48?AM (MST)

FTW;
I checked my books for Ruger firearms and this is what i can find.
Ruger Speed-six Double action revolver, cal.38, 357, 9mm. fixed sights. Made 1973-1987

Ruger Police Service Six. cal-38, 357, 9mm. Made 1971 to date. fixed sight.

Ruger Security-six Double action, adjustable sights, 38 & 357 cal. Made 1971-1985

The only revolver I can find in 45 cal. is the blackhawk that came with two cylinders for 45 long colt and 45 ACP. Single action with adjustable sights. some were discontinued in early 70's and they still have some models of it being made today.
How about a picture of it, would help.

RELH

I find it ironic that your reply to Cpeay's post on his drug sniffing dog would be one about training yours on hunting ducks Ect! I had a K-9 dog in service for 10 years. My dog had a rep for being a very good tracker. The dog loved the bite work that came at the end of tracking down the felon.
My Father-in-law, the farmer, had some of the best pheasant hunting you will ever find. One day while hunting with him he asked if my German sheperd would be any good at tracking and flushing pheasants. I told him the dog would be great except for one problem. The dog was trained to attack anyone that fired a gun near me in the event I was ambushed. He never bought up the subject again. Did not like the idea that I would be the only one that gets to shoot the flushing birds.
Who's to say that Cpeay does not have dual use for his new dog, he must be a hunter being on this forum. I hope you are not from Berkley, the nest of all CA. liberals.

RELH, I wanted to clear my reply though you first before I posted a thread. I guess I will skip any attempts at humor and avoid cpeay post altogether.

I am certainly no handgun afecianado, I think you and Stinky are correct about the Security Six/Speed Six/Police Six not being applicable to this gun. On the owner's manual cover it has all 3 listed with asterisks. I think it might just be branding and/or because the frame, maintenance, and breakdown diagrams were placed in a single owners manual for multiple models.

It's definitely .45 Ruger Blackhawk double action w/rosewood grip and only shoots .45 longs judging from the cylinder design. I'm going to have it checked out tomorrow and I will let you guys know.

Single action: Pull the trigger and it shoots.
Double action: ##### the hammer, then pull the trigger.

Stinky I appreciate your input, nice to know it might be worth more than I was thinking. Thanks

Well you are right about one thing, you know nothing about revolvers. All blackhawks are single action and they must be cokked then fired.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-07 AT 10:10PM (MST)[p]JB, If I don't know something I'll be the first to say it. Handguns just aren't my thing, they just don't interest me.
So far, I have never owned one but I probably will in the near future. I wouldn't mind having a bear gun when fishing or camping. Perhaps something lighter than this old school single eject hand cannon.

I realize now I reversed definitions of single vs. double action in either case the hammer does need to be manually engaged before pulling the trigger so it's single action. I just started reading up on this type of gun yesterday.

I did not know that all Blackhawks are single action, see you just added to my new found factoids about the Blackhawk revolver.

I just happen to own a Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt. It's actually my favorite pistol to shoot. Try it out first before selling it! Mine has a 7 1/2" barrel. I like single actions!

I also have the Single Six 22/22mag. An old 3 screw model. Paid $75 new.

Eel

Here is a pic of my Blackhawk. Actually it's a New Model Blackhawk. It has the notched hammer allowing you to safely carry all 6 chambes loaded. Is this what yours looks like?

472ea38f6adf6c38.jpg

Eelgrass;
The new model blackhawk in 45 is the one that is worth more then the older model, 310 bucks compared to about 220 bucks in my gun value books. You can stoke that 45 baby up with hot loads that will make the 44 mag say uncle. Good bear medicine.

RELH

Eel, That's just classic! What the hell is wrong with me, I should have just pm'd you in the first place. Again, the master sculler has taken me under his wing.

Indeed the guns with exception of barrel length look identical. One thing I notice when I hold the gun is that the grip seems short, no room to wrap my right pinky around the bottom of the grip, is it supposed to be that way i.e. a 2 hand shooter?

I did add a thread in the general hunting forum and saw your girl she looks nice. I know there is a dedicated scullers forum, something like duckboats.???. Yours wouldn't happen to be one the boats in the group picture would it? What's a scullboat...I got a kick out that reply!

I think there are after market grips that are larger and hang down farther. Mine fits me pretty good but not perfect. Recoil with factory loads is very mild so grip is really not an issue IMO.

This is just my opinion and my style, but the only way to shoot these western style single action revolvers is the same way Clint Eastwood does it. Don't try to aim it, just point it! As you raise the pistol ##### the hammer back, then keeping both eyes open point it like you were pointing your finger at the target. When it feels right, pull the trigger. The whole process only takes about 3-4 seconds.(faster if you really want to have fun!) You'd be surprised how accurate you can get in a short amount of practice time. I like to shoot at 1 gallon milk jugs full of water out to about 30 yards. Puts a big 'ole smile on your face when you connect. After while you will connect more often than not.

You probable wouldn't want to defend the Alamo with one, but a stranger comming down the hall at night is in real trouble!

I've never posted a pic of my scullboat anywhere. I'll have to search around and check out other duck hunting sites.

Good luck with your Blackhawk if you decide to keep it or sell it.

Eel

Stinky,

I agree on the wheelguns. I carried a security six as a nug and then later a 686, as I liked the S&W trigger much better. I missed my wheel gun(s) and therefore had to buy one of each at a gun show! My Beretta 96 boat anchor will not be missed. The P2000 is better, but if I could I would still carry a 686 with night sights and loaded with silver tips!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom