Whats in your wallet?

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Nearly had to clean my shorts yesterday on the way home from work. Had a front drivers side tire blow out on my ford F-250 7.3 which grabbed my front end at 70 mph and was dragging me towards the cement barrier. Had some dumb sum b!tch just barely behind me in the left lane as I was being jerked over into his lane that would not back off. Geezus, you'd think seeing a big truck flying across lanes with rubber flinging off and enough smoke to blind 3 lanes for about 50 yards the dude would get a hint he might not want to be there!

Got her under control before piling up into the barrier and changed the tire out. I never realized until right then just how fast 70mph plus was until you're standing right next to it praying to gawd no dork loses control. The tires are 4 years old, Michelins. Bought them from Discount tire with warranty. Had not just good tread but great tread on them too, low miles. Replaced all 4 and got one of them free so I rolled out of there with $849.00 burning up my account. Did some bad damage too. Bent the heck out my fender next to the front door and broke the vacuum assist line for the front end 4 X 4 locker.

Anyone ever replace that line? How tough a job is it??

Here I'll make this long story a little longer. Changing out the tire, without much room to work with as I was pretty up close to the barrier, was one hot miserable job. Fortunately for me I learned a long time ago when you get a flat in those big trucks the bottle jack will NOT fit under the axel!! How dang stupid is that anyway?? I also carry a small floor jack in the truck with me but because the rubber of the tire was rolled towards inside I couldn't get the jack up close. I found a spot, started lifting the truck, I'm mean started sinking it into the HOT asphalt and THEN lifting the truck but it wasn?t very safe. I then took the bottle jack and was able to just clear enough to jack the front end up between the 2. Sunk the bottle jack in the hot melting tar too!Heck it was only 140 plus degrees on that asphalt!

Ok? fast forward. Got the tire changed out and the darn spare was soft. Threw everything in the back of the truck and babied it off the freeway and NOBODY would let me over. I had to force people to let me get over to the next exit. See you Utah boys and girls aint the only ones with tards!!

Never had a front flat/blowout at 70mph before. That was a first for me and one I don't ever want to have again! speacaily in the middel of a hot day!!

GBA

Blowed a Right Rear last Sunday at 85 MPH!

Yes,the Asphalt was damn hot!

After I got pulled over to a Safe Spot a Biker Pulls up & says:You've got a Flat,No SSHit Sherlock!

A While back I had a Full Size 3/4 Ton 4X4 Rollin at 142 MPH,the 'Blowout' thought did cross the Mind!

(And by the way all you MM Angels(before I get my Ass chewed!),there wasn't another Sole around other than the Guy in the Mercedes SUV that Provoked the situation!:D)

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

142 mph?????

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

STTM was drunk off his mormon moon shine and was actually going 42 mph on the road that day, not 142. His truck couldnt go down hill that fast with 40 ton of coal behind it.

Thanks Grizzly, I think I will go get one and also carry a ?? metal plate about 14 inches square to keep the jack from jacking into the asphalt. I literally had to use my tire iron to pry my floor jack out of the asphalt. One thing was for sure, it wasn?t about to move! The metal plate may stay though. :) LOL

Something I heard about tires and this may be way you have had issues with Discount. Tires keep curing for up to 5 years from manufacturing them. Its after that time that they will start separating and falling apart. So if you bought a set of tires and they were already 2 years old or more then chances are in 3 years or less you're going to have issues no matter how good the tread is. I made sure I saw the manufacturing date on my new tires before they even put them on. Mine new ones are 2 weeks old. I will let you know how it pans out.

I had no real complaints with Discount up until I got home and realized they didn't put the spare back under the truck!! Come on guy?s WTH?? I even left the cable down and tied to the receiver with a piece of bailing twine for easy access. Now to save time I gotta crawl under that hot truck and put it back or go to them and complain and wait 2 hours for them to get to it. Good Grief!

GBA

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-12 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]Aging tires are no joke.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/aged-tires-driving-hazard-4826897

BTW, did you know that tires can oxidize...yup. Years ago a nurse friend of mine (who didn't know squat about mechanical stuff) asked me about car maintenance....so, I told her a little bit about common stuff. Then she asked about tires...we talked about rotation air pressure and, oxidation.

Knowing she knew what oxidation was, I told her that if she didn't replace the old air in her tires, that the rubber compound may break down due to oxidation and her tires could suffer from a chemically induced breakdown...and, that she should ask her mechanic to replace the air when she had her tires rotated.

Worked like a charm.

Wow Feddoc, that's some great info. I am passing the link on to everyone I know. I also didn't know about the oxidation either. I will be keeping that in mind as well. Thanks for this info, you may have saved one of my family of friends lives.

Thanks!
GBA

Yes CUPSY!

142 MPH!

Would you like to go for a Ride?:D

Further more!

Would You like that Obama/Kali approved Rig you Drive to be capable of the same?

We remove the Obama Juice!

We remove the Obama Pipe!

We make a few Mods on the rest of that Obama approved BS!

We take the 'SPEED LIMITER' up to 200 MPH!

We temporarily adjust the Power Level on the Programmer up to level 7 for Quick Runs!

Level 3 is good enough 90% of the time!(You gotta keep the Bittch Cool though!)

And suddenly alot of GEEKS that think they are BAD with their Little Rice Rockets with their Punk Pipes & Custom Tail Fins get their Asses handed to them by a Truck that out weighs them by 3 times more!

This is what got me in trouble 1-1/2 weeks ago!

Damn straight I'd like to take Eel for a Spin!:D

>142 mph?????
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom