What would you get?

400bull

Very Active Member
I have finally convinced myself (I still need to work on the better half)that it is time to spend a little money to upgrade my optics. I have decided that I am going to get a pair of Swarovski SLC. Now the question is do I go with the SLC HD or the SLC WB. I would like to have the new optics in hand for this year?s hunts. I know that I would be able to save up enough to get the SLC WB without breaking the bank the SLC HD may take a little while longer to save up the money so I would not have them with me this year. I like the feel of the HD?s over the WB because of that I am leaning towards the HD. Optically both pair are far superior to what I am currently packing around with the nod going to the HD. I think optically I would be satisfied with ether one. Question is should I drop the coinage now for the SLC WB (on sale for 1399.00) or wait to get the SLC HD?

400bull

on your hunt are you in an area where you need to see game movement 5 minutes before the sun comes up and 5 minutes after the sun goes down? If that answer is yes then hold out for the HD, if that answer is no then the WB's are just fine. I really think that is reason for the high end glass is when light is not at its optimal condition.

I am sure you get a lot of opinions but that is mine.

JOhn

I would hold out and get the HD lenses, even if it means holding off or using a credit card. I believe in the saying "Buy once - Cry once".

If you really want to buy the best and latest, I go for the Leica Ultravid HD's... My original Leica's are still going strong and thats been almost 25 years of hard use! NJS

The new SLC HD is basically on par with the Leica Ultravid HD and Zeiss Victory FL-all top line binos with HD glass. As a matter of fact the new SLC HD and Swarovision now have similar objective lens groupings and focusing as the Leica and Zeiss.

The Swarovision has field flattner eyepiece lenses while the previous binos listed do not. Some people like the view with the flattners some do not-the flattner lenses improve the edge sharpness but not the center image sharpness or brightness. Adding the extra flattner lenses in the eyepieces brings more possibility for light loss as you loose a little light through every lens in the system. Early reviews of the SLC HD are indicating it is slightly brighter than the swarovision.

You should be considering the Leica Ultravid HD and Zeiss FL as well as the SLC HD as they are equil in performance.

Its not hard to get your hands on a lightly used or demo Ultravid HD or Zeiss FL for around $1500.

I guess my point is why even consider the older SLC when for a little more you can get the Leica Or Zeiss and if the Leica or Zeiss work for you why spend $500 more for the SLC HD.

One other thing to consider.

I have been told that you will really not be able to tell the difference between the HD and the WB.

However, if you are going to take pics or video through them then it will matter a ton and the HD's are the way to go.

That being said, I own the Swaro HD's and love them.

TimberBuck,

Thanks for the suggestion. The local shop that I have been using to compare the Swarovski with does not carry Leica or Ziess optics so I'll need to see if there is something nearby that does.

I have not intention of taking pictures using my binos. If I decide I'll use my spotter for that. It's not a very good one but I always have it connected to my tripod so it makes it easier to take pictures with.

One last question the pair of binos I currently have are 10X42 Leupolds. They have been a great pair of optics for me over the years. While out comparing binos I have noticed that when I look through the 10X I get a lot more shack in the image (most have something to do with the caffeine right!) then I do with the 8X binos. I'm really considering going with the 8X but I'm afraid I may miss something not having the extra power. Is the extra power needed or would I be better of getting the 8X?

400bull

The preference between 8x and 10x will vary from person to person. I've always had 10x binocs,but this year picked up the 8.5x ELs. The quality of the optics is so much better that I can pick out details far better than what I could with the lower end 10xs. For me, the 8.5s are the ticket. The bit wider FOV and brightness trumps the lost magnification. I find that I have some shakiness with either. The problem lies in me not the glass.

I made the decision comparing the same model in the different magnifications side by side. If you can, do the same.

My next pair of full size premium binos will be 8x. I am liking 8x more and more and after using a pair of 8x30's in conjunction with my 10x42's the last couple of years I wish I would have went with 8x42 for my full size glass.

8x = larger exit pupil which allows easier and more comfortable eye placement, also larger FOV and better brightness compared to the same glass in 10x. Perhaps most important though is the fact that there is less image shake with 8x which might allow you to see more detail than the 10x anyway.

The HD's may give you a slightly "better" view, but you won't find game with them that you can't also find just as well with the SLCneu. If you can't see them through those it's not the glass' fault.

I have a year old pair of 10x42's and a pair of 15x56's that I want to sell to get a pair of Leica's with the range finder. The 10's are in perfect shape and were used on an antelope hunting trip as last fall was not very eventful. If you have an interest let me know.

I used the "old" SLCs last year and loved them... haven't had a chance to use the new SLC HDs yet. If money is no object, get the HDs. If you want to save $600-700, get the WBs. Once you have one or the other in the field, you won't know the difference! Plus, they should both outperform the Leupolds.

As for 8x vs 10x, I feel that the only way to truly realize the quality of good glass is to mount your binoculars to a tripod. If most of your glassing is done at realitively close range in the deep timber, heavy aspens, thick P-J, etc., get the 8x. If most of your glassing is in the wide-open spaces, get the 10x. Either way, invest in a good tripod and an even better mounting system for whichever binocular you choose!

If it was me, I would get the "old" SLCs and use the extra money for a tripod and mounts. You will see way more by mounting the "old" SLCs on a tripod than by hand-holding the new HD glass.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics