What would you do?

C

Cutbow

I was driving home tonight on a county road outside of city limits and came across a deer (doe) that had been hit by a car and was still alive. It was sitting up like a dog in the middle of the opposite lane...it appeared that both of its back legs were broken and it couldn't move. I stopped and got out and it tried to move when I got close but it just couldn't go anywhere it was not a pretty site.

So my options were to leave it, call the sheriff/game warden (which could take who knows how long) or put it out of its misery (I was carrying).

What would you do?

Cutbow

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-13 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]Well, I probably wouldn't post anything about it on the Internet after I made my decision. ;-)

That's a tough call. From what I understand, if you do shoot and kill the deer to end it's misery, you can be charged.

If, nobody was around. I'll probably shoot it. I hate to see critters suffer.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-13 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]Shoot it and not think twice. Don't toss it in your truck though.

JFP!!!

Be the Freshest Steaks in your Freezer!

I Hope you didn't Blow that Opportunity?

Fresh Venison on Christmas!

Get the Tire Tracks & The Emblem off the Grille & see if We can figure out who the Hell left this Animal to Suffer!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Came across one just like that several years ago. I was on the clock and didn't have a gun. The back legs were both broke and she had barely made it off the road, which made me sick to watch. I was able to get her down and cut her throat. It would have been a long slow death. When I got to cell service I called a DWR officer I know and told him what I did. He told me good job and that he would let the officer in the area know.

I feel it is my responsibility to put an animal down if it is mortally wounded and suffering.Then again it really depends on where you are. Chances are the majority of the time it just isn't lawfully logical to put one down yourself
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

elkun would call the Fort & let them know where the Deer was!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Put it down if I had the means to do it humanely and then make an anonymous call from a pay phone letting the authorities know where the animal was so it could be salvaged for the needy.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-13 AT 08:16AM (MST)[p]+1, agree on the knife. If you can put a deer down w/ a knife no one is going to fault you for it.

Unless in a residential area or a busy road I would have just put her down and remove the carcus from the road. Most officers won't have an issue with you doing so.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Kind of my approach!!!

Well, I probably wouldn't post anything about it on the Internet after I made my decision.

I can get a permit to keep it here in Montana. Yep, legal roadkill. To the original question, I'd put it down no matter the consequences. mtmuley

>Kind of my approach!!!
>
>Well, I probably wouldn't post anything
>about it on the Internet
>after I made my decision.
>

I didn't say what I did or didn't do...just asking what everyone else would do.

Cutbow

>I can get a permit to
>keep it here in Montana.
>Yep, legal roadkill. To the
>original question, I'd put it
>down no matter the consequences.
>mtmuley

That's cool...nice to be able to use the meat rather than let it rot.

Cutbow

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom