what would you do?

justr_86

Long Time Member
I took my immediate supervisor on his first ever elk hunt. We were after a cow and he wanted a good hunt. So we took off through the trees and I was able to get on a herd of about 25 elk. There was a pretty good bull with them. I will say 315 class. We waited for a clear shot on a cow and I told him to go ahead and shoot.
The bull dropped in his tracks. I looked at him and said well you just F'd up! Are you gonna call or am I?

We talked for a minute and I was informed if I turn him in its my job.

Well I have a great job with better benefits than I have ever heard of and excellent pay. You all know the job market is not the greatest but I can't let it go!

I got home and talked it over with my wife. I called the Dnr and told them what happened and where he is laying. The officer said there is a lot of ways to approach it. I chose the "I'm in trouble too." option and I guess I wait and see what happens. He said I get a court date and all.

What I'm having a hard time figuring is what do I tell him when I go hunting next year?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

You did the right thing. Remember he has a supervisor too. Check your company policy about laws being broken and threats to your job they may have some kind of whistle blower policy. Your H.R. Department should be able to help. It sounds like this was no accident.

It wasn't an accident at all. He didn't even want to walk over to it so they couldn't find any footprints.

Make sure you tell them this in court. I hope they take the appropriate action against him, some how I doubt it though. I also hope they take into account that you turned him when you go to court. It was wrong to kill that bull on a cow tag. That bull belonged to a legal tag holder and to every citizen of that state.

If you get fired over this, you will have one of the best "wrongful termination" suites ever.
They can NOT fire you, not for following the law, not in this country.
In fact, you are now "bullet proof", you can't be fired for any reason for at least a year or two.

They have me a court date to coverup that I turned him in. The officer told him he watched him from across the canyon but we made it out before he could get around to us. So as far as he knows right now is I'm in as much trouble as he is for accessory.
He feels really bad but I don't know if he will tell them he threatened my job over it. Guess time will tell.

I know that bull would be the trophy of a lifetime for a lot of people. I don't know why he couldn't just look at him for a while then take his cow and call it a very successfull hunt. They had no idea we were there. He had all the time in the world.

You did the right thing. I've turned in friends and friends of friends. In every instance they knew it was me that turned them in and they knew that I would testify against them in court. I never back down when it come to hunting violations. If you're afraid of losing your job you better hope your supervisor doesn't read MM. When he asks about hunting with you next year tell him you don't hunt with poachers!
Wes

I'd just like to say thanks for doing the right thing. That was a bad position to be in. You did the right thing, and I'm sure it was a tough decision, but I'm glad you made it. Thank you! I think Utah has a thing where if you turn in a poacher you get a tag for the area. Does your state have anything like that that would make it a little easier to turn someone in in that type of situation?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-09 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]The part that puzzles me is the officer went as far to charge you to cover up your involvment because at some point your boss' attorney is going to want to cross-examine the confidential informant (you) since the tip wasn't anonymous. Further, you are "the case" against your boss so you have to testify at some point. The officer can't stick with his "saw you across the canyon" story when he testifies against your boss. I really don't see how your name can't come out at some point unless your boss doesn't hire an attorney, confesses and pleads guilty. Your company isn't going to fire you for blowing the whistle on a felony committed by your boss. You are going to have a tough time explaining why you are charged for the same crime.

If you get fired over this, or even harassed in regards to this incident, I would love to handle your case for "wrongful termination"....and I ain't even a lawyer!

I could use 30% of a million dollar lawsuit.

You did the right thing, but as mentioned, you are ultimately going to have to be the witness.

I'm not being smart but you're posting this on the www & hoping your boss doesn't find out about it?

I have to agree with the above post, you should delete the entire thread if you can. If your job is in any way threatened, you have a good arguement for wrongful termination, and if something happens and you go above his head to tell his boss why you're in trouble at work, chances are your problem will quickly go away...and so will your supervisor.

Kenny, I recommend you contact an attorney immediately, both to defend you in the game issue, and to protect your employment. Good luck.

Was this on an LE unit?
If it was?
Look at it like this:
I'll get me an LE permit & it only cost me my job.

Posting this up to the general public was a dumb idea if you don't want the boss to know. Word travels fast these days in the hunting world. Maybe it will help you grow a set and man up to your boss that you ratted him out. Congrats for turning him in, now man up, admit it and stand up for yourself.

I would lay the whole story out to H.R. or the boss's boss or whoever you need to. But the longer you go on hiding it the more it's going to turn to your detriment. Fess up and let the chips fall where they may, you didn't do anything wrong so what do you have to worry about. Besides with a chickenchit boss like that, he's going to turn on you sooner or later whether it's due to his guilt or that's just the type of guy he is.

Sorry I didn't get back last night I was dealing with this problem.

I decided to call his boss, my good friend and a sportsman too. I told him what had happened, what he had said and what I had done with talking to the officer. I called the officer and talked to him and told him our company has very strict policies on stuff like this and I am safe so go about it whatever way you need to.

His boss is behind me on this 150 percent. Furious about it as well.

There will be some changes at work. My supervisor and I were good friends until all this happened.

I do have a lawyer now incase something takes a turn for the worse for me. After the meeting last night I feel comfortable with my job security. I appreciate your help on this hairy issue and all I needed to do was stand up for the truth right off instead of cover it up!
I don't know if I want the reward tag after all this I would be taking advantage of a friend for it, then again he was willing to throw me under the bus so I may take it I will have to give it some thought.

So it was on an LE unit?
Thats one way to get a tag I guess?
To bad the guy you took hunting that you thought was legit is such a Dip!
Just be very careful of what is posted on the www.

You got any more dis-honest hunting buddies?
I'll consider taking one hunting.

What a slimebag piece of crap supervisor. It may benefit you to lose the job if this is the kind of supervisor the company puts over you. You definitely need to report it, document everything, get his boss and HR involved and do the best you can to CYA.

Good luck to you.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Good job on letting his boss know. Things may be uncomfortable at work so if there's a reward tag take it just to offset all the B.S. this is gonna cause.

Like has been said, you are bulletproof. Do you have a "Whistle Blower" hotline? Get them involved too. That way it doesn't become a he said/she said thing.

>If you get fired over this,
>you will have one of
>the best "wrongful termination" suites
>ever.
>They can NOT fire you, not
>for following the law, not
>in this country.
>In fact, you are now "bullet
>proof", you can't be fired
>for any reason for at
>least a year or two.
>

that's right you will win hands down and you should not have to pay for a jack a.. move in the field good for you you did the right thing

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom