What type of mount?

R

rackman

Hey guys,

I am meeting with my taxi this week to discuss what mounts I want. To be honest I have no clue!!!! These are my first mounts and would like everyones opinion. I am leaning towards having my bull looking right, to show off his cheater on the left side. Here are some field pics for you guys to look at. Maybe they will help with your input. Thanks for your help in advance.

7685trophy_hunt_pics_august_2010_022.jpg

7583trophy_hunt_pics_august_2010_021.jpg

4072trophy_hunt_pics_august_2010_023.jpg

7904trophy_hunt_pics_august_2010_029.jpg

2600trophy_hunt_pics_august_2010_030.jpg

3491trophy_hunt_pics_august_2010_031.jpg

I have always mounted them to match where they will hang. Another option for the bull is a pedestal mount with a turned neck. But then again, it all depends upon your space and where it will go.

Before you die.....Take time to live

I'd go with a wall pedestal on your muley. Depending on how high your ceilings are I'd go with the 90 degree wall mount. Should be able to find one bugling and one without the bugling head on it.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

I too would recommend the wall pedestal on the muley. Its amazing how much difference in size and space you will save with a wall pedestal. I am having my this year buck done on a wall ped turn to the left really hard its all so compact/tight if that makes sense and to me makes the antlers stand out even more cause theres not as much shoulder/chest/or neck to draw away from the rack/head. As for the Bull I think that the pedestals with a base are awesome mounts cause it puts you at eye level with the bull and can visually see more detail or character it might have rather than 10-20 feet up some wall. That just me though.

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind posting up some pics of the type of mounts you are talking about, it would help this rookie out. Thanks again for you input.

Nice buck and that is a hog of a bull, congrats! I am having my bull done in a tru fitt r/h turn wall pedistel. It has a leather backing on the r/h shoulder where it concaves in to the wall and is very nice i did have him modify tthe leg that drops down a bit for a little different look. My taxi was very impressed with the jaw detail and said he has not seen one that detailed in the face. The r/h turn would really bring that shoulder out with no l/h shoulder showing with that form. I have some unfinished pics of him on my coming soon thread in the elk forum if you want to get an idea. He should be done in one or two days and can get you finished pics. Congrats on your hunts, my bull will be my first mounter as well since all I did before was spike hunts and its exciting. Hope you get them back soon!

What is your fondest most visual memory of your bull?

Coming straight at ya? bugling? huffing?
Maybe broadside looking towards you?

So something that really sticks in your mind is maybe how you could work on getting the mount to look like.

Robb

I think you could really crank the deer to his left on an upright form, full pedestal. Then you can hang him off the wall on a bracket or make your own pedestal down the road.

It looks like the bull would be fine turned to his left also, but not 90 degrees. Elk get such a slight turn that you may easily see the cheater with a left hand turn.

Take the antlers to the taxidermist and put them on a form and go with what you like.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I like the mounts with the head up high nose tilted down just a bit with a 1/4 turn. To me it helps bring out how majestic the animals really are.

I'd do the elk with a left turn and the deer to the right to be looking at the same place in the room, if they will be hanging together.

Great trophies man!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

First of all, cogratulations on not only one nice animal but two in the same day! What an accomplishment! Maybe, you shouild hang the one you killed first where the light will be on it in the morning, and the second one killed where the light shows it better in the evening.
It really does not matter what we all think, just do what you like and will be happy looking at for a long time on the wall.
I personally am doing a pedestal mount on my elk from this year. You can see it if you make the trip to the expo. Anyway, congrats again on a hunt of a lifetime.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the complements and suggestions. I am the type of guy that has to have everything perfect, so I am having a really hard time decideing what to do. I would love to see pictures of what type of mounts you guys are talking about if you wouldnt mind adding them to your comments. Rob, the memory that sticks out the most with my bull is when I stalked in on him at 30 yards, He was standing broadside I pulled back my bow, then he decided to feed directly towards my facing me. I had my bow pulled back for what seemed like forever, when finally i had to lower my bow and wait for a better shot. While doing that, my arrow fell of of the rest and hit my bow. The bull (Tipsy) Instantly busted me but couldnt see me. He started sniffing and snorting like crazy, then whirled around and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards. I hit him at 30, then again at 60. As for my buck, it was honestly being at the right place at the right time. I was in the last place I had seen tipsy the weekend before, while out with my hunting partner Aaron84 we decided to split up. He went up to a hillside where he could glass and I stayed in the valley in the tree line. After glassing for about 5 minutes, I started to get board and was not being quiet at all. Next thing I knew I had a nice 3 point buck 45 yards away from me. I had in my mind that I was going to go ahead and pass on him when all of a sudden the big boy showed up. I could barely keep my composure, I hurried and ducked down and knocked an arrow while I was waiting for him to jump the fence I was by. He finally jumped the fence giving me a perfect 20 yard broadside shot, and the rest is history! I killed both animals on the same day, and it will be a day I will never forget for the rest of my life!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom