What type of lizard, Gecko?

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
This pretty guy is right at 6 inches long and fat. If he is a Gecko I had no idea they could grow that big. I found him under I piece of roofing steel living large on insects. I turned him loose in our courtyard hoping he can help reduce the scorpion population. :) I thought he made a pretty picture and reflection in this glass decorative bowl.

GBA

9379gecko.jpg

General area, Queen Creek AZ. in my back yard. Im just not sure what he is. I still think its a large Gecko, he was pretty easy to catch.

GBA

GotBowAz...Denfinatley a Western Banded Gecko...Very Nice!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I went on the net and read about the Western Banded Gecko and the resemblance is right on. However everything I saw on them said they only got 3 inches long and this thing from head to tail is right at 6 inches. I must have the King of Kings Gecko here. Nope, he isn't selling insurance but he does help out in scorpion reduction!

GBA

When they were kids, my sons had a fat tailed Gecko and a couple leopard Geckos. They would feed them night crawlers because it was fun to watch it try to beat them to death by mashing them into rocks. They got pretty fat, but only a little over 4 inches long before my wife decided they needed to be free.

I will try to find him tonight and take a picutre next to a tape measure. When I caught him his head was out one side of my hand and his full tail was out the other side. Not sure if you can tell by the pic but the bottom/flat part of the bowl I stuck him in is 5 inches in diameter. He is a toad! LMAO!!

GBA

"The Western Banded Gecko is a medium-sized gecko with soft skin, short limbs, a pointed snout, large eyes, and functional eyelids. Like other Eublepharid geckos, this species has movable eyelids, slender toes that lack villi, and pointed claws. Adults are approximately 6 inches (150 mm) in total length...."

http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/cole-var.html

Go ahead and wait 60 days, but I don't think he's going to book...

Any chance you will be booking any spring hunts? Prices? Weapons? Is my '06 too much gun? Can you do drop camps?

I would prefer late Spring-mid Summer, so that I have the opportunity to get a fat one.

Have you ever actually been attacked?.....I would prefer not to be attacked!

I am not interested in any sort of hi fence operation, so don't be feeding crickets and mealworms at some wood pile and expect me to show up and not know the difference!

Do you know a taxidermist that can mount one in the aggressive pose? You know, on three legs, with the fourth one clawing at the air with fangs dripping, an chit!

CAUTION: If Roy gets wind of your "herd" he will all but wipe it out!

nickman, don't forget the ole' "I'm not looking for any honey holes or secret spots. I would just like to know some good area's to start." LOL!

I went into my thick jungle of a court yard last night in search of the beast. As I rounded a lantana there we were face to face, it was so intense for a moment. I didn't even see him until the last second as his natural camouflage blended him in with the surrounding foliage. I reach to snag the beast from behind but he scurried under the Boganvia with their nasty little thorns.

Nickman, you can hunt him in that jungle if you like but for now im not going into those thorns! The pictures are real and not Photo shopped. This is a hand hunt only and no nippers will be allowed. However I must warn you that it is a short block wall hunt and he can scurry over it so be prepared to scale the wall quickly. He is not playing fair chase! Also note, the hunt will only be at night?please feel free to take out as many scorpions that you come across as baiting is permitted, you will only need a general hunt license for them at a minimum fee to the land owner. No black lighting/spotting allowed.

GBA

Looks like a leopard gecko to me. Banded gecko too. The only main difference in the two is the leopard gecko's get as big as 6-8 inches long.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

I'd score him at just over 6, but I'm not an official scorer and that's only going off the photo.

You gonna go for a full body mount or just a shoulder??

Who cares about the score? That's one great Gecko, and I would take it in a heart beat! Even on an LE unit.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom