What truck?

HuntinFool

I turn 16 next year and I have started looking to buy a little truck. The two most important things are that it has to have a back seat (extended cab would be ok) and it has to get really good gas milage. What truck would you guys recommend? I've looked at toyotas, but it seems like they are quite a bit more expensive than anything else.
Thanks in advance.

What's your price range?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

If you want Piss Poor Mileage just buy one of the newer Diesels!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

>If you want Piss Poor Mileage
>just buy one of the
>newer Diesels!
>
>Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can
>
Haha. That's exactly the opposite of what I want. When I turn 16 I get to drive my families v10 F-350. I definitely don't want to pay to fill 'er up especially on long hunting trips, so I'm looking for a little truck.

>What's your price range?
>
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'm not sure exactly, but I am going to have to pay for it all on my own so nothing too expensive.

> you are 16....and insisting on
>a back seat.....LOL.....jeezus...
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Haha. Not entirely for what you're thinking. I need a spot to put my hunting stuff.

Just keep driving that V-10 & she'll turn in to a V-9 one of these days!

Find you a ZR2 or small chevy-gmc truck. Good mileage and power. Fords cant get out of there own way.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Ya,that 2.8 Chevy is a real powerhouse!

You might pay a little more for a Toyota, but you will more than get your money back in use and reliability. It will be running and getting you into the mountains for 1, 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles, where a cheaper one, especially if you are looking for used, will probably be broken down or will break down in a very inconvenient place. My first Toyota was a 1987 4-Runner. I drove it hard. I didn't abuse it, and I did preventative maintenance. It was my only vehicle for hunting and every day living. It had 85,000 on it when I bought it. I drove it to 230,000 before I sold it to a friend, after I bought a 2006 Tacoma from a family member. That little 4-Runner is still going strong.

>Yeah, that's seems to be what
>everybody says, but I'm have
>a hard time finding one
>without 200,000 miles on it.
>
>

Keep looking, you won't be sorry. There is a reason used ones are hard to find.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-11 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]HuntinFool, what ever you do, do not even ask about a Ford and never, never admit to buying one unless you got hide thicker than cape buffalo. These bast4$ds never let up either and they got memories like middle aged pachyderms.

Still running ya'll!
DC

You're probably right, but other makes have the same problem. However 200,000 on a Toyota is usually a lot less than 200,000 on other brands, if you get my meaning. Just be patient. You've got all winter before scouting starts up. Keep an eye on all the want adds. You might find some old guy that has decided to give up hunting and buy a car. Don't look at me! I'm only 60. I've got 30 more years left in me:) well, maybe 20.

try Craiglist Colorado west Slope they seem to have a few toyota 4x4 posted on there all the time.
Toyota would be my first choice. Second chioce is a 91 dodge 4x4 diesel.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Get a SUBARU
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

There is no way in hell that you would catch me in a lezburu!
:)

I have owned Nissan and toyota for my work trucks. I'll give the edge to Toyota. However, Nissan isn't far behind and usually, less $$$. Just do a lot of shopping.

They are both good trucks. I wouldn't buy a diesel.

Bye the best you can afford. Then let Bessy take it for a test run. Not abbusive type ya know under 100 mph dirt road. If it comes back in one peice it is a good truck.

Rutnbuck

Easy Rut!

My little PISSCUTTIN Rig is still holdin strong!

Gutless little SOB!

I did get it up to 115 MPH a couple of times!

Once was heading down Parleys,not up!:D

You guys are forgetting he will be sixteen. It doesn't matter how long Toyotas last, he's going to beat the shiznut out of it in about 1 year. Just buy something for a grand and go have fun.

This kid sounds like he's one of those rare few, now days, that has his head on straight. Asks for advise, worries about cost and performance, needs a back seat for hunting gear. Sounds like someone a Dad would be proud of.

When my PISSCUTTIN Rig reaches 300,000 miles it'll know most of the back roads!:D

I might consider selling it then!:D

>This kid sounds like he's one
>of those rare few, now
>days, that has his head
>on straight. Asks for advise,
>worries about cost and performance,
>needs a back seat for
>hunting gear. Sounds like someone
>a Dad would be proud
>of.

Wait, he wants the back seat for hunting gear? I just lost a little respect for him.

My boy found a 93 toyota xtra cab,3.0,170000 miles for 2800 bucks. I had my reservations about a wore out POS but looking back it was a great buy. It had the head recall done to it so that made it a little easier. He has learned to do alot of mechanic work himself and he is still driving it at well over 200000.

I would agree with the guys that said toyota or nissan but dont ever listen to the crap about they are bulletproof. You will have to fix things that are wore out even on a toyota and the v6 dont do that great on gas. If your like my boy there wont be much room for huntin gear by the time you get giant speaker boxes behind the seats. Better save enough loot for a toolbox in back. Good luck finding a cheap toyota and happy hunting.

Consider a jeep cherokee. There are still quite a few around. The little inline 6 is great in the hills and gets good mileage. Plenty of room for gear and the back seat folds down.

Any kidding aside, that is a good point. My first 4X4 was an old jeep wagon with double swing out doors. It made a perfect place to lay the bed role out and carry plenty of gear. Wake up in the morning, start the ole truck and heat things up before crawling out of bed. All your gear stays dry and secure. If you get lucky and get a critter, just throw down a tarp to protect the inside. I had a lot of fun trips over on the Boulder, fishing for big ole brook trout with that thing.

>Consider a jeep cherokee. There
>are still quite a few
>around. The little inline
>6 is great in the
>hills and gets good mileage.
> Plenty of room for
>gear and the back seat
>folds down.

The Jeep straight 6 is a good engine,not bad mileage down the Hi-Way but a fuel burnin SOB off road!

would not recomend the toyota with a v6 if you are concerned about mpg. The 2001 tacoma extd cab I had only got 17-20. I would find a 4cyl. It doesn't sound like you will be pulling anything so don't worry about power. I had a 2001, regular cab with the 4cyl. It usually got in the mid 20's but did get up to 30mpg twice (included freeway, highway and gravel road in those two trips here in colorado.)

Yeah, nothing better than a toyota, the question is do you want to pay your money up front (toyota) or spread out over multiple break downs leaving you in bad places over the long term( any other company).

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My huntin rig is 1990 toyota extended cab with the 3.0 v6. 193,000 miles. 18-19 mpg in town and between 22-24 mpg on the road if you keep it under 75mph. I beat that thing to hell every year out in wyoming chasing speed goats. I've never had an issue with it!

I agree with most of these guys, I have a '86 and '96 Toy. both with over 200K. I know of an '85 for sale if your interested. Check your pm.

Toyota first choice. Nissan second.

I've had a ranger danger and 2 chevy s10s and learned my lesson.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom