What to get???

There is absolutely no question which one of these is better. The 15x56 Kaibab is FAR superior to the 15x50 Viper.

Having used both in the field (although not side-by-side), the Vipers are lightweight and handy around your neck, but the clarity and color fringing are very distracting. The Kaibabs have much better light transmission and although they are not as good as the 15x56 Swarovskis, they are close.

If I were you, I would not even consider the Vipers over the Kaibabs.

In addition, I would call the Outdoorsmans, a sponsor of this site and a company made up of hunters who actually use these products. All reputable companies sign agreements with manufactures to sell for pre-set prices so you should get the same price whether you buy from a warehouse in New York or Chicago or a small hunting shop owned and staffed exclusively by hunters and shooters...

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

You are really stepping into a different world going from 10x to 15x. Many people can hand hold 10x just fine, very few can even think about hand holding a 15x. There is simply too much image shake without using the 15x from a tripod. That being said, I agree that the Kaibab is a much better binocular than the Viper.

You need to be sure you need the extra magnification. You don't give any clue as to your use, but all too many people think "upgrade" means "more" magnification. If you don't need the magnification, then you probably won't like any 15x, unless of course you are scanning from a tripod.

Good points SteveC!

I never even think of using binoculars without a tripod, whether they are 10's or 15's... and there is no question that lots of guys get away without a tripod for their 10's, but it's darn near impossible to handhold 15's.

I also agree that more magnification has it's limitations: weight, field of view, relative brightness, etc.

15's are specialized binoculars that should be used in addition to 10's or 8's, not in place of them.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

very valid points. I think i will stick with a 10x42 and pick up a spotting scope. Or invest in a better pair of 10x42. Thanks for the advice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom