What to do?

Z

zrider2

So I went up to drop some salt today, and my spot is just tore up. the ground is like powder there have been so many animals in there. But I look over and see someone has hung a trailcam over my salt, and next to my treestand. I have been packing in salt, and checking trailcams for 2 months up there. Its a small canyon about 2.5 hrs in. I know that I dont own the place, but I have put in a lot of work this year, and have a ton of animals coming in. I typed a message on my phone screen for him to call me and my #, and flashed it in front of his cam. What would you guys do? Also I took my cams down 3 weeks ago because the elk dont like the flash. they kept rubbing up on my cam, and now here is another guys cam with a flash up there a week before the hunt... frustrating. here's a couple of last years pics.
009.jpg
196.jpg

>So I went up to drop
>some salt today, and my
>spot is just tore up.
>the ground is like powder
>there have been so many
>animals in there. But I
>look over and see someone
>has hung a trailcam over
>my salt, and next to
>my treestand. I have been
>packing in salt, and checking
>trailcams for 2 months up
>there. Its a small canyon
>about 2.5 hrs in. I
>know that I dont own
>the place, but I have
>put in a lot of
>work this year, and have
>a ton of animals coming
>in. I typed a message
>on my phone screen for
>him to call me and
>my #, and flashed it
>in front of his cam.
>What would you guys do?
>Also I took my cams
>down 3 weeks ago because
>the elk dont like the
>flash. they kept rubbing up
>on my cam, and now
>here is another guys cam
>with a flash up there
>a week before the hunt...
>frustrating. here's a couple of
>last years pics.
009.jpg
196.jpg

>

Gonna go pop some popcorn and grab a cold one. This ought to be good.

I think you are playing it right so far. I doubt the guy will call. I would make sure you get in there first. Then there should be no problem. If you don't get there first on the opener, then there could be problems.........

If he were in my stand when I got there, I would ask him to leave. If he said he was there first, then I would ask him to get out of my stand so that I could take it down. He has the right to be there, but in my opinion he does not have the right to stay in your stand if you ask him to get out of it.. He can sit on the ground under the tree if he wants to stay. But the stand would leave with me.

Everything is solved if you get there first.

I guess that I should state that I am not going to be mean about it. I'd mostly just like to know what his plans are. Its a small drainage, but I'd share it even though I have packed salt in there numerous times this year.

+1 to get there first, it sounds to me like you have a pretty good attitude about it considering everything. It is public land. . . But you have put a lot of work into the spot and now all that is wasted. I get upset when I see people walk through my honey hole, but I guess that's public land hunting. All the more reason to celebrate when things fall into place and you harvest your animal.

You could also try to use him to your advantage. Take your stand and set it up on an escape route and bust a big one that is trying to sneak away from him. That has worked for me in the past, except I have never hunted from a tree stand. I just trailed behind some horses going through the area.

Good luck

That John Denver is full of $#!t man

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-10 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]your way nicer guy than myself. I bet he's been scouting you all year watching all your hard work then he'll slip in and steal all the glory. myself i'd light that tree stand on fire with him in it. that guys got massive ..... well you know

i'd say make every intent to contact the guy, if he does not call then leave him an actual note taped on the cam, tel him your wanting to know if he wants to share the spot find out his plans and maybe you guys can work together instead of against each other.

teaming up can be a lot more effective than fihgting over a spot.

i realize you spent a lot of time and effort packing stuff in but this guy obviously i s putting forth some effort if he is checking his cams. sounds like your open to working together,so id say stick with it

If your sure he saw your stand and knows someone has been there before him. But he choose to intrude any way. Then put someting in front of his camera to block any shots of game that he may get and be sure to go in the night before opener to claim your spot on your stand.

If he calls then maybe you can work it out , but Im betting he wont call . If he had any class at all he wouldnt have set his camera there by your stand and on your salt lick.

Yes, here in UT it is legal to put out salt. Still no word from the guy. We are going to bivy camp up there, so I plan on beating him to the spot. I'll keep you guys informed as to what happens.

I feel your pain, I have just had a simular incident as you, I packed in salt and a camera and after several weeks observing and packing in and out my camera and salt dissapeared and the salt was replaced by a bag of corn, and a blind was set up, Now I really don't know what size of cohones it takes for someone to do this but unfortunately there are some of them out there, Our opener is this Friday morning and damn I am honestly thinking of maybe having to sight in my shotgun at that particular spot with a couple boxes fo shells come opening morning, I also realize that it is public land and is open to anyone and I do agree to that but theft is another issue that I don't really care for, I hope you guys can get things worked for the best of each of you, In my situation I wonder if that is even possible at this point, I hope to be there before him on the opener and also hope things workout for both of us which I seriously doubt will.

Good Luck to you,
Pray for me, LOL

Tagline

I have to go the other way from a couple of posters. WHOEVER gets there first gets to hunt period!!!!! I get more than a little irate of guys claiming an area because they put out salt, a camera and a treestand. I have several friends who put out multiple treestands and salt. Often they dont even hunt these areas but they are there as an option. I have several treestands and salt blocks with cameras out. Do I own these spots? Nope the treestands are mine and I did some work on the area but I dont own it.
Also a few years ago I hunted a great area that I have scouted quite a bit over the years. Guess what? Someone else came in put out some more salt and a treestand. This was right next---arrow shot to where I hunt and have scouted. Was this now his spot because he was more obvious about it?
Its public land. Others might have scouted it before you and some might after you. You dont own it but if you get there first you can use it.

just my two cents-----be the first one there opening morning.

respect my authorita

>I have to go the other
>way from a couple of
>posters. WHOEVER gets there
>first gets to hunt period!!!!!
> I get more than
>a little irate of guys
>claiming an area because they
>put out salt, a camera
>and a treestand. I
>have several friends who put
>out multiple treestands and salt.
> Often they dont even
>hunt these areas but they
>are there as an option.
> I have several treestands
>and salt blocks with cameras
>out. Do I own
>these spots? Nope the
>treestands are mine and I
>did some work on the
>area but I dont own
>it.
>Also a few years ago I
>hunted a great area that
>I have scouted quite a
>bit over the years.
>Guess what? Someone else
>came in put out some
>more salt and a treestand.
> This was right next---arrow
>shot to where I hunt
>and have scouted. Was
>this now his spot because
>he was more obvious about
>it?
>Its public land. Others might
>have scouted it before you
>and some might after you.
> You dont own it
>but if you get there
>first you can use it.
>
>
>just my two cents-----be the first
>one there opening morning.
>
>
>
>respect my authorita
you have some valid points, but there is a certain etiquette that I follow as a hunter. There is plenty of other places to hunt, but to choose one that someone else has obviously worked hard to get animals there is just not cool. I have packed in 50lbs of salt in the past 2 months. Its a 2.5 hr hike just to get in there. Would he have even noticed the place if it wasnt for me? This is my 3rd year in there without ever seeing a soul, but I dont own it, and cant control what other people do, So i'll have to get in there well before dark, and hope he doesnt strole in just as I draw on a nice bull.

I understand your frustrations. I have a half dozen sites that I am working on right now. I have packed salt so several of them that are 2 1/2 miles plus. I have dug and built water holes. I have trail cameras out and have some places prepped for treestands. But I dont own them. Even if I put tree stands/ground blinds in them I dont own that area. I might not even hunt all of them this year but it does help to get the deer and elk used to comming back to an area for minerals.
If just because I put out a treestand people needed my permission to hunt I could tie up a ton of ground for the cost of a few treestands. Like I said I also have several friends that put out salt and lot of treestands. It gives them options to hunt.
You may feel differently but if I was out hunting and found a great spot, (I wouldnt sit in someone elses treestand) I would hunt there. I would bring in my own stand and set up if that was the place I wanted to be. I would move somewhere else if someone else was sitting in the stand when I got there though. But seriously do you really expect no one to hunt that area for the entire hunt because you put out some salt???

respect my authorita

How about this then, lets hear where all these places are that you placed salt. Since you don't care, I'll just go hit them up instead because I can. Why try to keep a place a secret, its public land right?
Apparently you didnt read my above post where I said that I'd share the little canyon. I'd like to talk to the guy, so we could come up with a plan. Nope I dont own the place, but come on find your own spot, and do the work yourself. Hanging a cam over someone else salt is a pretty weak move.

By the way, how wide is that buck in the first pic?? I was thinking he'd be close to 30"??

Closer to 20 than 30

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom