What to do?

T

TylerT

I put in for archery Antelope this year and drew out for the Plateau unit.I have been down scouting and looking over different water holes twice this year.I found a nice place in the lower Plateau area to set up a blind.Now I have found out the DWR is going to issue 50 any legal weapon permits in the same area 16 days before the archery hunt starts.Should I move up above the forest boundry and go hunt Antelope at 9500 feet or take my chances with a few rifle hunters in the bottom area? and what the hell is the DWR's problem starting an any legal weapon hunt 16 days before the archery antelope hunt anyway?

Thats a bummer. How long is the break between the any weapons season and the archery? Does it start 16 days before or end 16 days before your hunt?

The any legal weapon hunt starts 8/01 to 8/31.The archery Hunt starts 8/16 to 8/30.No break between hunts.

It's just a doe hunt. If Utah is anything like the other states where I've hunted pronghorn, most hunters will be done by the end of the first weekend ( Aug. 3rd). Plenty of time for things to settle down before your hunt.

Oh wow thats a screwy deal...I agree that things will slow down from the rifle hunters but, with archery, you don't exactly have that kind of time to sit around and wait and then go out one weekend and kill a buck. If it were me, I'd stick with a somewhat secluded water hole (no matter what, they have to come in). It seems the pronghorn rifle hunters just buzz up and down the roads, looking over animals. With them shooting does, they will take the easiest, most accessible animals. So if you can seperate yourself from the road on a little spring or seep, I think you may have some luck towards the latter part of the season. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom