What state to hunt?

fisher1131

Hey all I am from Kentucky and have only ever hunted whitetail and turkey, not getting to travel much due to the military and then law enforcement, wanting to start archery mule deer hunting in 2025, with so many options from OTC to 0 preference points I'm not really sure where to start, I'm not looking for a monster buck just something different then what I'm used to hunting here and for a decent quality buck. I'm used to public land so i know the difficulties of hunting pressure and everything, and advice would be appreciated. thanks!

You can have a fun archery hunt in almost any western state. I would start researching now the states in closest proximity so that you can spend less time driving and more time hunting. There is no “best” state..you will have a good time wherever you end up going.

You can have a fun archery hunt in almost any western state. I would start researching now the states in closest proximity so that you can spend less time driving and more time hunting. There is no “best” state..you will have a good time wherever you end up going.
I guess best state meaning which would you recommend for a first timer, I’m not sure which states are easier to draw compared to others and things like that

I guess best state meaning which would you recommend for a first timer, I’m not sure which states are easier to draw compared to others and things like that
For a first time archery mule deer hunter your gonna want to hunt somewhere with high deer density not necessarily high quality for starters. SD could be a good option parts of montana colorado wy and Idaho have good numbers but those areas are harder and harder to come by as populations dip. Once you know what you're up against and get a buck or 2 under your belt with archery equipment you could ease into trying to find better quality. That's just my suggestion. Biologists are a good knowledge source for deer density so are harvest statistics almost every state has those posted on their states website good luck! Thanks for your service

This is coming from a guy that hunts only 1 state for mule deer, (as of now) but if I was starting fresh and coming from a state that didn't have muleys, here's how'd I'd start.

Watch some YouTube videos of various hunts in various terrain types to try and narrow down on the terrain type that I think I would enjoy hunting the most. Lots of places to find mule deer other than backpacking into high alpine basins, although it sure looks like a bast!

Once I've narrowed down on terrain type, I'd then start looking looking at what states offer it and if I'd be able to get a OTC or easy to draw tag for the area.

With all of that other stuff out of the way, I would start trying to get ahold of biologists/game wardens to try and get as much info as I can in regards to the area.

Load up the truck to go have an adventure and hopefully cross paths with a nice buck. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom