What Pistol Should I get?

L

LouiesMusket

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-10 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]What Pistol Should I get?

I'm going to buy me a pistol here soon. Wanted to get everybody's thoughts and opinions and what would be the best to get.
I have decided that I'm going to go with the Springfield XD. I just don't know if I should get a 9mm, a 40, or 45.
I want a pistol that will do damage on a bear but one I can shoot and get good with. Occasionally my wife might shoot it also. I was thinking of going with the 40 but some people say I might as well get the 45mm. So lets here what you all have to say.
Thanks

I'm gonna buy the springfield XDM 40. I wouldn't buy a 9mm. Not against a 45 but like the 40 better. I'd love a colt or kimber or springfield 1911 but too much for me right now.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Me thinks a 40 mm and a 45mm are in your imagination or the military...... Mayhap you meant the 40 cal and the 45 cal????

my brother has a 9mm ,, I have a 45 ACP,, both are easy to shoot and I have always felt that the larger the chunk of lead that you throw,, the bigger the hole left upon impact. That withstanding,, I would'nt feel comfortable shooting any of the 3 mentioned at a bear. Maybe a .44 mag is the best option for that. Choose wisely grasshopper!!

Morning LouiesMuskey,
The one comment that I think you might rethink is useing the caliper choice to bear hunt with. You might think about is a 357mag in a wheel gun. You could use 38s to practice with and then use the 357mag for your bear hunting. Just my thoughts.
Gary

Mainly I just want one to pack around you know. Carry with me when I camp and when Im out hiking.

So is the 40 or 45 better? What would you rather of the two?

I have the 40 and love it. Guy at the gun store told me the 40 has more knockdown than the 45? Don't know for sure, but he was pretty confident. I personally don't think if you get in a fight with a bear you are going to notice the difference in knockdown between a 40 and a 45.

I carry a 45 and love it. If knock down power is what you are going for get a 10mm. My wife can shoot my 45 just fine, and its a subcompact glock. Yours should be able to shoot an XD just fine. Its harder to be accurate with than smaller calibers, but worth the knock down power.

Sounds like you had best think about getting a 10mm.

I pulled this from Wiki;
"The 10mm Auto falls between the .357 Magnum and the .41 Magnum in muzzle energy for popular loadings. With certain JHP bullets, these energy levels may produce an effect known as hydrostatic shock in living targets."

I might add, "or very soon to be dead targets!" :)

Joey

Why didd'nt they just call the 40 a 10mm short? The 40 gets too much credit.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It appears he and his wife are beginner handgunners. For that reason along, I would not get a 10mm as it is a caliber for experienced shooters due to the heavier recoil. His wife will not like shooting it if she is like 98% of the women and he may not like shooting it also for a first gun.

I love the 45ACP, but it also may not be the right caliber due to his wife wanting to shoot the gun on a regular basis. Some women can shoot the 45ACP just fine, but most do not due to recoil.

The 40 S&W is a good caliber with reasonable stopping power and a recoil level most beginners will find comfortable. For the guy whose gun dealer told him the 40 has more knockdown power then the 45ACP, get a new gun dealer, that one is full of it.

The 9mm is the easiest one to learn with due to very light recoil and tons of cheap ammo to buy that will afford more shooting time. It also has the least amount of stopping power of the calibers mentioned. As for bears, get a heavy caliber revolver.

RELH

Great info RELH. What type of bears are you afraid of running into and where do you suspect you will see them? You need to ask yourself if this is really going to be a prominent concern - even though it is better to have a gun the one time you need it than to not have one in that same situation. If you are worried about black bears then your concern is a little misplaced, if it is grizzlies then you need at least a .40 cal, though if I only had a 9MM with hollow point bullets I wouldn't hesistate to use it if I had to, though it would not be my first choice.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I'm a big fan of the .45 acp . I have shot cougars with a .40 cal , and I wasn't all that impressed . To be fair to the .40 I do think the bullets I was using where not performing . The Hydra shocks recovered from 2 lions had not expanded at all .

I used to allways carry a Glock 30 , which is the compact .45 , when out in the hills . That was until I was about 40 yards away from the biggest black bear I have ever seen . The bear didn't do any thing , but I remember looking at the Glock on my hip and I didn't feel very prepared . I do a lot of bear hunting from tree stands , and that mile walk out of the area in the dark with only a bow is not a good feeling . Now I carry a 3 inch , 44 cal , revolver .

I still carry a .45 every day for two legged problem animals . From my experience I would rather shoot a 45 than a 40 , In my Glocks , I find the recoil from my 45's is less than my 40 .

Just a suggestion , you might find a place that rents pistols and try a couple of different calibers and differnt brands . I know in Salt Lake there are several gun ranges that let you rent .

You're even considering a 9MM for Bear?

You wanna sting him or Piss him off?

No less than a 45LC or a 44 MAGNUM!

You could Cowboy-Up and get the Smith & Wesson .50!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

I picked up the 357sig in the XD. I picked it up mainly for bear problems (coyotes have felt its wrath), but if you check the ballistics you can hunt with a 357sig with a 6" barrel (if I remember correctly). It comes real close to the 500fp/energy required by law. Not that I have any desire to go one on one with a bear. Although I do believe that I could scare the crap out of one of us. I holds 14 rounds and I carry an extra clip. I was surprised how comfortable it is to shoot.

A good wheelgun like the S/W mountain gun in 44 mag, or a ruger super black in 44 mag would be my pick, they will out shoot just about any semi-auto for accuacy and power.
Try hitting a coffee can at 75 yrds with that .40 or .45 auto, maybe one or two hits?
You can also stuff 44 spl. shells in it for plinking or the wife.
just my 2 cents.

A well placed .22 lr round is deadlier than a missed shot w/any caliber! Having said that; I carry a Redhawk in .44 mag.
Just my .02...
pilgrim

Gunguy;

I used to pratice with one gallon plastic milk containers at 100 yards and your one or two hits do not hold water. If I could not get 5 out of 6 shots, I felt I was having a bad day.

Do you have any wheelguns that will print 6 rounds in 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards or 8 rounds under 2 inches. I have two 45s that will do that on a regular basis.

I also have a Ruger 44 blackhawk SA that will print 6 rounds in 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards with it's hot hunting load and everyday use load.

Just because it is a semi auto, do not make the mistake of selling it short on accuracy.

RELH

S&W M&P .45 Auto or Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull Just Sayin!!

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

Back in my bowhunting days I had a couple of run ins with black bears. I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel. I worked up some 265 grain flat points for it and could shoot it well. Problem was it was big and heavy. It started ending up in my daypack instead of my hip. Fat lot of good that would do if you ran into Mr. Bear. I ended up buying a Ruger SP101 .357 and loading it for bear. It fits on my belt just above the back pocket where it is out of the way and won't grab twigs etc.

I am thinking of getting a XDM in .40 "just for fun" though.

I've owned both 40 and 45 cal. You can't go wrong with the 45, especially in a Kimber 1911!

Traditional >>>------->

RELH
I'm not trying to say that semi-autos are not accuate, they shoot well for there intended role, mainly ccw or law enforcement.
I still think a good revolver in one of the larger calibers, .357,.44 or .45 with adjustable sights is proper bear medicine.
( as you can tell, I'm a Elmer Keith fan- 100% )
Thank you for your reply, GG

Get a 9mm and put several hundred or thousand rounds through. Then pick up what ever you fancy. You can't have too many handguns. Are you planning to open carry or concealed? Some conceal carry in the woods in case they have to deal with an ornery human and don't want the guy to have a heads up on the sidearm.

I've got all the cartridges listed, and the 9mm is the one I pick up most..why? cuz its accurate,cheap,low recoil, not too loud, and just plain funner to shoot than bigger guns.

9mm is sportin about 300ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.
.357 is ~600.
.44 mag ~1000.

i carry a heavy old .44mag w/ a 6 in barrel. i hit a coyote at 80 yards with it a few years back. its accurate and packs a punch. they say if you carry a 9mm for bear, you should file the front site off...because when the bear gets to you, hes gonna be plenty annoyed and you dont want it to hurt when he shoves that 9mm... you know where...

I have the XD 40 Subcompact and I love it! it is one accurate gun. I have always been a fan of the 40.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom