What happened to the deer in Hunt area 131?

L

LovetoHunt24_7

Hello everybody, well I have been away from the great state of Wyoming for the last 7 years due to my line of work. Well I have recently moved back to Rock Springs, Wyoming. Before I left I used to spend a lot of time out in the sand dune/steamboat mountain area. So upon returning I decided to go spend some time running around some of my favorite places to see deer out there. Well to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I've spent about 8 days out in that country and I've seen a grand total of 8 deer!!! You heard me right, 8 deer. And I'm not just driving around, I've put a lot of miles on my boots. I'm just completely shocked at the lack of deer in this area. I've heard rumors and reports that the deer herd was in bad shape out there, just didn't think it was this bad. I don't understand why the Wyoming game and fish department doesn't just close this area down? I feel bad for all the out of state hunters that will be hunting in this area this fall. Spending all there money to come out here and hunt deer that are not there. Of the 8 deer spotted 1 of them was a buck, but he was a 3 point. Not legal in this area this year due to the 4 point antler restriction.
Can any of you locals help shed some light on why the deer population is so low? Maybe I just didn't look in the right areas but I could always find deer when I lived here before. Kinda depressing that's for sure. Thank you guys for your time and good luck to everyone with the upcoming hunts!!!

I'm shocked that you thought 131 was going to be the exception to the rule of deer herd decreases throughout the West. G&F makes no bones about keeping 131 a good way to get those residents of RS that may only hunt one day or an evening to buy a deer tag. Personally I have no problem with them doing this. If 131 was shut down some of those people would go to the Wyoming Range and drive those roads. Since those areas already get plenty of pressure why not have a sacrificial unit like 131. And if any out-of-stater is coming to 131 to hunt deer and dropping a bunch of money and is surprised by the lack of deer then they have not done even basic research. Since deer numbers are declining everywhere in the West, what made you think 131 would be any different?

WGFD based their population estimates on deer seen during the late fall( Nov). Come to find out, the majority of those deer were migratory; they came from the Hobacks and elsewhere-some from as far as Idaho. So they kept the season open for general license for all those years. 131 had a serious over-hunting problem in addition to general declines in mule deer numbers.

The WGFD even screwed up their "sacrificial lamb"! Most local folks may give it a 1 day road hunt, but I don't expect too many will waste their time out there. It's a well known fact locally that this once great area for mature bucks is ruined for many years.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom