What happened to NV NR turkey tags in Moapa?

DonMartin

Very Active Member
Maybe you guys in Nevada can answer this question.

Years ago I noticed that there were no NR turkey tags (except on private lands) in Nevada.

So I started a process with NDOW and the NWTF guys and in the end NDOW did put a couple of seasons in with very limited tags (1) for three hunts in Moapa. Residents got 5 tags for three separate hunts and NR got 1 in each hunt.

I was fortunate to get a tag a couple of times in Moapa, and got a couple of nice Rios with the help of my friend Kensen Lee, but I noticed that this year the only place to go is up north.

There are no tags in Moapa for NR. For about the past 5 years I always applied for Spring turkey in Nevada as I apply for other big game tags.

Anyone know why they stopped giving out NR tags?

Sure seems like if they have turkey numbers so low that giving out three NR tags would hurt the resource, then why do they even have a hunt there? I see there are still resident tags issued.

Any ideas?

Don Martin

Question is,What happened to the Turkeys ??? I guess NDOW wants You and Yours to Hunt-em in Lincoln Co. and not in Clark.Just up the road aways and 2 N.R. tags in each of 3 hunts.No swimming pools or close lines to manuever around on those setups before fly down,either.Yelp,yelp,yelp --- Good Luck in 2010
Bruce

Well I guess the same question could be asked about the RESIDENTS and their turkey quota in Moapa? It's still there, right? Reduced but not gone...

I mean if the turkeys are so low in numbers in Moapa as to need to remove the ONE non-resident tag for the three hunts offered to residents, then why pray tell doesn't NDOW just close the entire area down until the bird's numbers are high enough again to warrant a hunt? Then open it again not only for residents with their 5 tags, but for three one-permit non-resident hunts as well.

Also, take a look back at the history of turkeys in the Silver State. One should never forget that EVERY turkey in Nevada came from transplants. There is no such thing as a "native" bird in Nevada. The transplants were funded by not only NDOW and the sportsmen of Nevada but the National Wild Turkey Federation as well. That equates to a lot of non-residents.

So I guess we have made the complete circle again and it goes back to the argument of what is fair and equitable in this situation?

I say if it is a biological issue, so be it. Close it down; but to close it down for the one permit hunts for three NR's when the same hunts are still open for residents, well that just smacks of being just a tad unfair, don't 'ya think?

Sure it does!

I mean even on the Arizona side of Lake Mead in game management units 15B West and 15C North, a couple of NW Arizona's good desert bighorn sheep units, which is kinda close to Moapa, Arizona G&F does allow at least ONE of the THREE tags to be drawn by NR's! And I figure desert bighorn sheep are just a tad higher up on a sportsman's food chain than a Rio. This year in Unit 15D, which had six tags, five went to residents and ONE went to a NR from Missouri. Hey come to think of it, that's how it used to be in Moapa, five resident and one NR tag? Hmm.

That being said guess I'll just keep buying that cheap Nevada NR hunting license and putting in for a bonus point until the G&F folks feel they can offer permits again to three NR's who like to hunt backyards, parking lots, feed lots, orchards, and swamps next to Peacock preserves.

Besides, in my care I've got too many points to drop out of Nevada's deer, elk and sheep draws.

Course like many Nevadans feel about Arizona, I'm one and done when and if I draw a decent tag in the Silver State for any of those species.

Don Martin

I don't know the specifics on the missing turkey tags, but in the past I have sat through the season setting meetings, both local and the final one with the state commissioners. It was probably a snap decision by the chairman after hearing a few words from the local board, it was then quickly seconded and thats it.

Don, You should see if the NDOW could contact CA DFG to trap some of are problamatic wild turkeys and start transplanting them. We have plenty of turkeys here in CA.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom