What eyepiece and why.

K

krkrueger

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-12 AT 08:03PM (MST)[p]I need some help selecting the right eyepiece for my STM-65. My choices are Swarovski 25-50x W Wide Angle Zoom Eyepiece or Swarovski 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Based on conjecture relative to other makes and models, not because I've used the Swarovski (though I would be glad to if anyone wants to donate to the cause)...

For general glassing, I expect that the wide angle would be the way to go. You'll probably have a wider field of view at 25x than at 20x with the other and the 10x at the high end is probably not something you would very often need. If your often trying to determine details on a deer waaaaaaaaaay out there, then that extra 10x may be a factor. For my style of glassing, the lower power and wide angle is more valued than the higher power. If it is more about pics and video, than the guy who knows has already stated.

Also, with the 20x60 eyepiece, its a little easier to find an object on 20 power as compared to 25 power.
Another point to consider is that its not very often that all the conditions are perfect in order to use 60 power. Many times it is too dark for 60 power or there are just too many heat waves. But when the conditions are perfect it is pretty darn nice to have to ability to go to 60 power. It has made the difference for me when it came to a decision on rather or not I wanted to go after a buck that was a loooooong ways out there. There has been a time or two when I could pick out an extra sticker or could see how deep the forks were on an antler but could not see it at 50 power. So for me it comes down to digiscoping. I like pictures more than video so I like the 20x60. Also, I like the ability to go to 60 power whenever the conditions allow it to happen. At this time I have the 25x50 but in the long run I'd like to have both. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom