What does your work day consist of???

M

MortgageMan

I know there have been posts on here before about your occupation and what you do for a living. I would like to know what do you actually do during your work day and not just your job title? Those that are retired let's hear what you do now or did before you retired.

I sit at a computer all day and make TLM hardcopy maps using ArcGIS Desktop software. Of course I always have MM up. Soon I'll be the youngest retired person I know :)

It's Bush's fault!!!

I WAS A FIREFIGHTER FOR THE CITY, I SAVED LIVES & PROPERTY ALL DAY FOR 30 YEARS....RETIRED AT 49 TO HUNT & FISH...I WOULD IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT.....YD.

I'm here at a hospital in SLC, in the radiology dept. When i'm not on MM, i transport patients to all modalities(ultrasound, nuclear medicine, angiogaphy, x ray, and CT) help the techs get the patients exams done, then take them back to their room.

i do this on a 7 on 7 off schedule, so i'm on vaction half the year.

47aa8a9e202b0d9f.jpg

I own a perishable food/grocery distribution company in California. We have our own warehouse with alot of tractor trailer rigs. Keeping track of this keeps me busy all day.

I sit in my lowrider with my laptop watching over my hoe's working the street corners in Las Vegas....wait, that's my dream job. Lol

Actually i work for the Fluke Corportaion, Hart Scientific, temperature and metrology division, shipping mgr.

I am at a PC all day entering loads to be shipped all over the world.

And get this...they actually pay me for being on MM all day, they just don't know it!! ;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-08 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]Slam, they do now! I just emailed them!:)

I'm responsible for keeping good sharp saws up in the sawmill I work for. If things are going smooth, it's an OK job. I have my own room with microwave, refer, heater, and radio so I can listen to Rush. No computer though:(

Edit: we run carbide so I tip a lot of saws and grind the kerf and angels. Diamond wheels are used because carbide is so hard. We run ultra thin saw plate to minimize waste. The thinnest saw plate in the industry. We change saws every 4 hours.

Deadred707 does the same thing I do, except he works the night shift.(poor guy,:))

Eel

I work from 6 am to 6 pm saving inmate's lives when they beat the hell out of each other or when they get old and try dying within the prison walls. Pretty entertaining job sometimes. I get paid to be on MM for a lot of the day. Especially the down time.
redelkarcher>>>------------------>

Teach at a drafting lab during the day, teach in a machine shop in the afternoon. Between classes, run a drafting business (thank goodness for email through my cell phone.

When I get done for the day, I will spend some time working on my drafting business.

A big part of my day is spent gathering up paperwork from clients to fulfill conditions on their loan. Once that's done I run loan scenarios by my lenders and figure out which loan program is going to be the best for my client. When a lender and I don't see eye to eye on a loan or condition I have to argue with underwriters for the better half of my day. I love what I do, even though it can be extremely stressful with the mortgage industry changing by the hour. Unfortunately I don't get paid to be on Monster Muleys and I'm jealous of those that do.

I actually LOVE what I do.

I am a Marketing Manger for a company out of PA. I work out of a home office here in Utah, but travel all over the Western US and Canada all year. last year I spent 153 nights in a Hotel!!!

I spend a lot of time keeping people happy!! That usually involves lots of Golfing, Fishing, Snowmobiling and really nice meals every night. Lots of money in ALCOHOL! and just keeping people warm and fuzzy.

Some would say I get paid to go on Vacation every week..........I would say...............YEA KINDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spend my days dreaming about hunting!!! Acctually I climb power poles and towers maintaining high voltage transmission lines.

I have been retired for 6-1/2 years now and just can't get everything I want to do done in a week. I get up at 5:30AM so I can make a cup of java and read the local paper while watching MATLOCK on TV. Do the SUDOKU crossword puzzle and then log on the Computer.
Check my mail, copy and paste jokes on MM and then read what has been said so far that morning....real tough. LOL
Then go to town to buy the Lotto tickets and maybe go have lunch, come back home and check mail and MM again.
Then do some yard work, lots of mowing here.
Have dinner and watch Dancing with the Stars, then back on the computer.

Soon as the nice weather gets here, then will partake in the local car shows and cruise in' around the area.

Once the hills dry out a bit then walking will be in order and maybe catch some young thing out walking to keep her bod in shape. LOL

It's tough, but not bad for being retired and keeping one's sanity.

Brian
P.S. Some times I meet Ransom for breakfast and talk about the rest of you. LOL

I retired as a Det. Sgt. at age 56 after 30 years of locking up various A-holes from petty theft to homicide. Get up when I darn please, work in my shop making custom knives when I want to do it. Still enjoy doing it. Do quite a bit of traveling and hunting and fishing. While you jokers are at work Tuesday, my retired hunting-fishing partner and I will be on a nearby lake catching some good trout. My cop son and fishing partner was on the lake Sat. and both caught limits of up to 20". I prefer to go on weekdays while all you bums are at work and have the lake almost to myself.

RELH

spending about 23 hours and forty minutes thinking of furry red heads and about twenty minutes working on CNC MACHINES...
Rackmaster

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-08 AT 11:45AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-08 AT 11:44?AM (MST)

>Looking for work. Who's hiring?

Are you serious? I'll tell you who's hiring. The oilfield is hiring. They need all kinds of people and wages are starting out at 16.00-$20.00 per hour, depending upon the job and skill level. But guys are so desparate for hands and drivers they're hiring just about anybody and training them. Some companies are even paying a $50 per day perdium just for showing up. Some of them are even paying for guys to get certifications, CDLs and the like. My husband's company is hiring drivers out of Salt Lake. Guys are staying here for their 4 or 6 day stretch then going home on their 2 or 3 days off. They're working about 70 hours or more a week (70 is all that is legal), but that's a heckuva lot of overtime.

It's not just jobs for drity, gross, uneducated folks either. There are some good jobs out there and some good, hard working, educated men out there doing them and bringing home decent money.

This boom is going to last a while too. There was a big announcement yesterday of two natural gas drilling companies drilling a couple thousand wells in this area alone and once these three piplines are complete (or maybe they already are) we'll see more explosions in drilling sites like this.

Instead of waiting around for a company to call them back, guys are telling the COMANY if they'll be calling them back or not. Make the money now and sock it away for when the boom is over. There is some good money to be made in the oilfield industry right now.

Kilowatt and RELH! You really know how to hurt a guy!:(

I know TTK is right. I remember last year in Wyoming. The owners of the gas stations and convenience stores had to work their own places because all the good help had quit to work in the oil and gas fields. Remember that Brian?

Eel

On days when I am working in the field I usually wake up at about 3:30 AM. I then drive ten minutes to the shop and fire up the tucks and load up anything I need. Then we leave the shop and drive usually between two and three hours to the wellsite. Once there we get our stuff ready we do our work which usually lasts for about 6 hours or so. During that time I can be doing anything from moving heavy iron to watching lines move accross a computer screen. It's a very hurry up and wait process. Once we are done we drive the couple hours back to the shop, clean everything up and get ready for the next job. There is a lot of other little things I do in between but that pretty much sums it up. Depending on the workload I usually work between 50 and 120 hours a week. Sometimes it requires that I stay up for more than 24 hours at a time but I generally get ample sleep. And no I am not a meth snorting poaching looser like most people portray oilfield folks. Like TK said most of us are avid hunters who are just out there making a good living to support our families.

I'm a shift supervisor at a oil refinery, I start at 6:am or pm, I work 12 to 13 hour shifts, 4 on and sometimes 4 off. my #1 job is trying to keep everyone safe! Then it's trying to keep units running at rates and not running tanks dry or running them over. Then comes trouble shooting unit problem. I have 35 Operators that work with me on any shift.
When we have Fires or spills I'm the IC until upper management shows, and some times for the hole incident. On nights, Weekend and holidays the Fire birgade is not in house so that can seem like forever till they show.

I work in a gas plant it depends from day to day what I do one dat I'm unloading ngl trucks one day I'm making helium I'm either running my butt off or hurry up and waiting I also work seven on seven off rotating days and nights

Just finished working 7 on 7 off in Jan. hated that schedual. it took 4 days just to get off graves.

Well, when I'm not doing money shots for a specific video industry.......

I run my wildland fire crew. Travel to whatever state is burning for 2-4 weeks (sometimes more)if were not burning here in AZ (just spent 3 weeks in Texas). Maybe spray out miles of fire with my engine, maybe burn off roads or firelines, maybe build fireline, I.C. a fire, run a prescribed fire, whatever comes up. fly, drive, hike, whatever.
Then help out with a guide in the off season unless I have my own hunts to go on (which I do this year).

Is that ethical?

I manufacture custom vinyl decals. Most of my days consists of recreating/creating art work, plotting files, printing files, domeing, laminating materials, or laser cutting/etching. I do a lot of different things in one day. But my main focus is to keep the shop running cleanly, make sure all jobs are filled and out on time, and keeping clients happy.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-08 AT 10:14AM (MST)[p]Well I am a grad student and a Spanish teacher so here is my typical schedule M-F:

5AM - Up and around - drive 20 miles to school
6AM - in the gym for workout / shower etc.
8AM - prep for class / office hours
9AM - Teach
10AM - 3:30 PM Prep for class / writing dissertation
3:30PM - commute to Community College campus
4:00PM - Prep time / office hours
5:30PM - Teach
7:00PM - Commute home
(7:30 - 8:30PM - Tutor private students (only one night a week right now)
7:30PM - help wife with kids and house - get meals and clothes ready for next day
9:30PM Grade papers while watching TV
11:00PM or 12:00AM Sleep

I do have a lot of unstructured time where I am on MM and doing other things but I don't get paid for it and it takes away from time to do other things. So you guys should be thankful that I am here because it is a sacrifice for me to be on MM so much! LOL!!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Plumbing contractor
Up at 0600, help kids get up and dressed, brush my daughters hair until wife makes it out of the shower, insure my son has fed the dogie, brush my teeth and out the door to the jobsite, unload tools get helper moving, try to help helper but usually spend more time figuring out next days work load with contractors, try to help helper more, talk with more contractors, watch helper load tools, drive home, change vehicle, retrieve kids from daycare, unless I work too late and wife has already done it, go home help with kids homework, help with dinner, attempt paperwork, usually don't get much of that done, watch a litle TV with the wife, fall asleep on couch until wife wakes me and sends me to bed
Can't wait to give it up and spend time riding my horse and spotting elk and moose.

I am a patent agent. I write patent applications, supervise/review others writing patent applications, and get a little involved in the dickering with the patent office that follows upon filing a patent application. So, I sit in front of a computer terminal and write, I listen to audio recordings of interviews with inventors, I research briefly some technical ideas that I may not be fully conversant with on the internet (Wikipedia, etc.). I make simple block diagrams of systems to support my patent applications, using the simple MSWord drawing tool. I review patent applications written by others, marking up hard copies with a red ink pen and then discussing my redlines with the writer. Some of my mark-ups are obvious -- typos, grammar, preferred locutions. Others of my mark-ups are more sophisticated and subtle, which is why the redlines are discussed with the other writer -- the point is to attempt to educate and share my analysis with the writer so they can adopt my analysis in the future. This doesn't always work. Some people get it, other people are pretty dense or appear to have plateaued out on their writing ability. Much of my work is involved in writing and writing well and writing efficiently.

I also interact some with the inventors -- in phone conferences and in soliciting their review of our patent application drafts. It is important for me to be polite, to avoid disparaging language or insults and to appreciate that these inventors are very busy with other things, like engineering design. I also interact with patent lawyers in my law firm where I work. A key to my success is being reliable and trust worthy. If I say I'm going to complete a task by a certain time, I deliver. At least part of the trick is to under commit, and over deliver. Never make a committment that you can't keep; always keep your commitments. These guys are busy. To the extent I make their lives easier, this is greatly appreciated.

I keep regular hours in the office, but I also do a fair amount of work at home. Often I will bring home case files to review and mark-up. Sometimes I bring my laptop home and write patent applications at home at night or on the weekend. I am paid a salary, but there is an important bonus component to my compensation, and it works out that if I work more I get paid more, so I am motivated to work both at home in the evenings and often on the weekends.

I don't know what you are looking for, but I'm hoping this is close.

Interesting reading.
I'm a residential real estate appraiser working for a major national lender from my home. I get up at about 6:30 to write up and send off an appraisal report and catch up on emails or check in with my secretary who's out of state.

At 9:15 its off to my 1 hour workout then back at 10:45 and get ready to go out for about 3 hours and inspect usually 3 houses in the afternoon then its back home to catch a quick 'reset' nap before writing up and sending off another appraisal report. The hours from about 4 to 8 are family time but later in the evening I write up the final report of the day & finish by about 10pm.

Been doing this schedule for over 12 years and would have a hard time going back to an office each day. My boss is out of state and we talk on the phone maybe once a month and I have only met him once in the 1.5 years I been with this particular company. Never met my secretary but we talk daily.

Brahma

I got you all beat! I work for my father-in-laws company and surf MM all day. If you may ask she does have a sister too. I just ask you have connections to free Landowner tags!

LOL Thats good stuff chester. In all seriousness we have a bulk fuel sales business with 12 different locations. It isn't all fun and games. Trust me with the price of fuel the way it is. I get at least one lecture everyday by some old man about why prices are so high. Actually I am the low man on the pole earning the respect of the old guys. It is a good time though. 7 days a week(except during hunting season)

i get to shoot a gun well over 500 times a day, too bad its a nail gun. i also get to walk on top of a walls sometimes really high ones that are only 3 1/2" wide. have to pull out the tape measure and bend over to mark every two ft for layout. then set trusses. i am getting better as the weeks go on but at first was scared out of my brains to walk on top of a wall like that looking down that far, let a lone bending over and keeping my balance. also get to pick up extremely heavy beams and damn near break my back, but at the end of the day i love my job, during the day as i struggle through out it, i wanna say take this job and shove it!

first i drive as far as kali or east to boston, then work 7 days a week till the job is done. i hang comercial vinyl wallcovering. (paper hanger). when job is done usually 1-3 months i drive home and play. hopefully i get to play in hunting season

Oh crap I supervise 25 employees analyze all production data , health , repro etc on 5000 cows milk and beef production. Purchase feed , contractes etc. Inventory , the list goes on and on.

I'm an occupational therapist working in sports medicine. I treat shoulders,elbows, and hands. I make splints and braces. I try to work mostly with cute girls or with guys that like to hunt. My assistant gets most of the hair knuckle patients. I get a chance to see whats on MM when a patient cancels. I also plaster foundations as a part time business to teach my 14 and 9 yr old boys how to work. It pays for those expensive out of states tags. Well, I got to go stretch and hold hands with this hot college student. My wife says as long as I get paid for it!

Research, write motions, drink some coffee, read some cases, read MM posts and look for new pics, research some more, go back to MM, and then write, write, write, dream about what mountain or river I'm gonna' head to during the coming weekend, and research some more....just graduated from damned law school but I'm the only guy in cowboy boots in the office.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom