What did ya put in for?

J

jbigb30

Well we are just under three weeks from the opening of the utah draws what has everyone put in for just out of curiosity. I put in for the following
Wasatch/manti big bull any weapon
17b archery deer
Bonus point bison
Nebo bear spring

Haven't put in for the expo yet don't know if I will any way just wondering what people have put in for if ya feeling like sharing if not its cool I understand

Wasatch Moose
LE archery Deer Vernon
Wasatch West spring Bear
Already dedicated hunter

Might put in for some expo tags too...

Why put in for a bonus point? It cost you the same to put in for the hunt. If you do draw, then you can worry about the money and time to get it done. The way tags are going people will be putting in a lifetime and not draw them. I would want every oppurtunity at drawing a tag. Just my opinion.

>Why put in for a bonus
>point? It cost you
>the same to put in
>for the hunt. If
>you do draw, then you
>can worry about the money
>and time to get it
>done. The way tags
>are going people will be
>putting in a lifetime and
>not draw them. I
>would want every oppurtunity at
>drawing a tag. Just
>my opinion.

Here's my example in applying for a bonus point. I am at the top in points to draw the LE tag I want but am also in grad school. Last year I knew I probably wouldn't have the time to put towards the hunt that I've waited so long for. I simply didn't want to probably draw the tag only to have to turn it back in and lose the money for it.

I'm coming up on my rotational year for school and am now determining whether or not to do another point or cash my points in for that tag I've been waiting for.

So you probably want to hunt a unit that does not have the high demand as the top units. And can be a little more conservative, and wait for better timing. I have seen archery hunters with plenty of points wait until the season runs later into September. The point that I was making, and didn't clarify, is that if you are trying to get a Bison tag, or any other high demand tag, and you don't have max points, I would put in for the hunt, you never know when you are going to get lucky. At the age of 37 I knew that I probably wouldn't ever be able to draw a tag for a free range bison. I had been putting in for DBH for 13 years, and by the time that I drew that, The chance of drawing a bison tag were slim to none. Put in for the Sportsmans Tag, and was lucky enought to draw. With point creap, the conservation tags, and the state of the heards, I want every oppurtunity at a tag. People beat the odds every year, but if you just buy a bonus point, no chance of being the lucky guy.

I'm swinging for the fence.

Henry's Archery Deer with 11 points.
Kaiparowitz West Desert Sheep with 12 points.

I know I won't draw either of those.

I also have 11 points for Bear. Put in for San Juan Fall (should draw that tag either this year or next).

400bullelk, I see where you are coming from. If you're low in the odds why not.

In my situation I was everything but a lock for the tag and didn't feel like the time was right to cash in my invested points. However; I still put my wife in the draw for the very reason you described.

I say put in and keep ur fingers crossed, my dad and I drew limited rifle deer tags as non residents with just 3 points! I do have my suspicions that the state of Utah just wanted our money for the rest of our lives so just gave us those tags to hook us on buying hunting licenses and app fees for the rest of our lives...not expecting anything in the near future, but we can all hope anyways right?!?!?!

I am in no rush----

But I will do my LE bow Deer and my Desert Ram.

Just a point on Gen deer and then buy a Leftover Gen deer tag in June.

+1 400bullelk.....roll the dice every year!

Robb

Gonna put in for the Elk/Deer combo in Montana
Idaho Deer
Utah Desert Sheep (17pts)
Henry's Deer (4pts)....hope I don't draw cause I want the sheep tag instead
Sitting on 5pts for deer and antelope in Wyoming but just gonna buy points this year

Debating... but with a wedding to plan for myself this summer I dont know how much vacation time I will have for the fall.

Points for DBS (currently have 7)
Points for LE Elk

If time allows I will just buy an over the counter deer and archery elk tag.

Best of luck to everyone in the draw!

Tallbuck1

My daughter should draw San Juan Bear (12 pts), I have one pt less than her, so I just bought a pt and will wait a year or two. Just bought her pts on everything else.

I haven't applied for myself yet. Still researching my Utah options. I can't decide if I want to do my OIL mtn goat or a LE elk (I have enough pts to draw either on the units I'm considering). I need one more pt for my Colorado deer, unless there's more pt creep. Decisions, decisions, at least I'm in a pretty good postion for the next few years.

Smokepole

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom