What are other names for pronghorn?

It annoys the hellll out of me when people refer to them as "goats". We have goats and they are NOT goats. I hate clicking on a thread that states "goats" and it turns out to be what we in north america call, an "antelope".

So Zigga, remind me what the antelope's closest relative is? I know they aren't true antelope and I know they aren't goats. What are they related to?

Personally - I like calling them goats but it can get confusing. I found this online and thought it was a pretty good concise explanation. I knew they were related to goats but did not know the gall bladder connection.

"Entirely unique on this planet, the Pronghorn's scientific name, Antilocapra americana, means "American antelope goat." But the deer-like Pronghorn is neither antelope nor goat -- it is the sole surviving member of an ancient family dating back 20 million years."

The Pronghorn is the only animal in the world with branched horns (not antlers) and the only animal in the world to shed its horns, as if they were antlers. The Pronghorn, like sheep and goats, has a gall bladder, and like giraffes, lacks dewclaws. If that weren't enough, the Pronghorn is the fastest animal in the western hemisphere, running in 20-foot bounds at up to 60 miles per hour. Unlike the Cheetah, speedburner of the African plains, the Pronghorn can run for hours at quite a fast pace."

I also found this lil tidbit and the end of a longer online piece. What?

"There are protective laws against the hunting of the pronghorn antelope in America and most of these antelopes live now in protected area. Man has done much to harm populations of animals."

That's a pretty cool explanation ramtagless. Thanks for posting. Its interesting to note that "goat" is in the scientific taxonomy.

Whoever wrote that last comment about man doing much harm to the species must have been relying on population estimates from the early 1900's. I can't believe how many there are in Wyoming.

They are very unique animals.

I was also surprised to learn they mostly live in protected areas. Evidently everyone on the internet is an expert.

My point was, if we are going to call antelope "goats", then what do we call "goats"? I realize the folks that hunt mountain goats don't necessarily hunt antelope and vice versa but seeing as how we have "goats", let's just call antelope "antelope" or "pronghorn" seeing as how we all hunt North America for the most part. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I enjoy seeing goat hunting photos and get annoyed at seeing a fricking antelope when someone posts "goat" photos.

I'm down with that Zigga. I think "goat" is a little demeaning to the species. The good thing about this thread is we now have a whole bunch of terms to use besides goat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom